What bad game would you like to remake?

Revan

Excuse me...gorgeous
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Uncharted 4
While it doesn’t make much sense from a financial standpoint, what if the remake treatment could not only be reserved for already critically acclaimed games (e.g. Resident Evil 2, Final Fantasy 7) but bad games too? So, what bad games would you like to see remade so they could have another shot at getting things right?

For me, I'm a fan of the Tomb Raider series, and Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness is infamous for its game-breaking bugs, bad controls, and boring first few hours which feel distinctly un-Tomb Raidery (i.e. ditching tombs to have Lara wander about a barren, lifeless Parisian town). As the debut instalment on the PS2, Core Design wanted to go all-out with this game to assuage concerns that the series was stagnating. Tomb Raider was going to get large-scale open worlds, RPG upgrades, dialogue options which impact the story, multiple pathways through each level, stealth mechanics...the list goes on. They also wanted to feature the story more prominently and hired Murti Schofield as writer. Largely inspired by H.P. Lovecraft, Murti became so passionate about the project that he wrote tomes of character backgrounds, history and conspiracy theories which he used to create a Lovecraftian-inspired gothic horror take on Tomb Raider.

And then Core actually tried implementing all this ambition...and soon realised they were making something impossible for the PS2. So out came the machete and they hacked and slashed their way through the majority of their plans to meet deadlines. The massive storyline that was planned was cut and stitched together and Murti's three-years worth of writing was utterly wasted. But after the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter proved to me that anything is possible in gaming, I would love for this game's concept to be given a second chance, even if just for a Director's Cut if the classic Tomb Raider games were ever re-released on modern consoles.

I'm curious, what bad games would you like to see remade?

The Order 1886. Not a bad game but definitely could have been significantly better. Such an interesting premise and if they were to essentially relaunch this game with the right studio, it could be a console seller similar to Gears of War at its peak.

I haven't played the Tomb Reider game you mentioned but it sure sounds interesting. I saw a magazine review of the game way back and it got a mediocre score. It find it depressing to see unfinished products that just needed a little bit more time (or money) to be good, or perhaps very good games.

I bought RE 6. I knew it was bad. But I wanted to see if I could play it. Some people liked it a lot as an action game. It has like four full campaigns (or something) with different characters, I think. It was a quite sophisticated game. But that game was the most stressful pile of **** that I've ever played. It was not scay, it was stressful. I rarely say this, but this game was completely unplayable.
I'd like to see that game Remade.. but won't happen. I didn't get far into the game but some environments looked quite good actually. Too bad you just ran through all of them like you were on some ADHD-medication.

Another game is Mass Effect Andromeda. I've never played it but everything I've seen is so bad it's ... I even don't want it for free if someone gave it to me. The bugs, the bad facial animations, the character design just look terrible. Something really went wrong along the development. Could have been better than ME2 which was the best of them all. Even that game had better looking characters than Andromeda.

Last edited:
Dragon Riders Chronicles of Pern. Actually love the game but dear lord the load times. Best on a MODE or GDemu and one title im most excited about finally diving deep and finishing once i backup my games.

MGS4

Well, actually the game plays super fun (Kojima can't make a bad game, tbf) I just want them to basically delete the story from after Paris until the after-credits. Then call Peace Walker the real "4"

Give Peace Walker 3D full cutscenes and it is a great story for Big Boss, which actually needed more unlike Solid Snake

Shenmue 3. Add throws and some "impact" to the fighting system, include long dialogue sequences about the Prophecy, Iwao's time in Bailu, perhaps flashback sequence of Iwao in Bailu. Make the two super moves different from each other. Make Niaowu shorter and add Baisha, make it a Yellow Head Building 2.0 and enhance Niao Sun's role in the finale. Make the one button Qtes against Lan Di's associates actual free battles.

There you go. Might even be a game on par with S2.

Metal Gear Solid V - After hours of gameplay I got one massive slap in the face as an ending. An ending that felt like: ´F-off and thank you for collecting worthless resources and playing for hundreds of hours -for nothing, have a nice day´.
I was played like a goddamn fiddle. The only Metal Gear that I truly liked was MGS3.
The only thing MGS3 are missing today is the near perfect controls from MGSV and modern graphics. That's pretty much it.

Last edited:
I would nominate Tenchu Z as I felt the series went downhill after Wrath of Heaven. When you combine the stealth elements of Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain, Mark of the Ninja, Aragami, etc, the brutality of Sekiro, and the open-ended nature of Shinobido Imashime and Hitman you have the potential for a phenomenal Tenchu game.

I liked the idea of creating a shinobi, but the missions in Tenchu Z were extremely redundant. Like Shenmue, Tenchu has lied dormant as the genre it's apart of has evolved. Not to mention that the life of real shinobi was much more varied than is portrayed in gaming. This is something that Tenchu can do to distinguish itself from its rivals.

Metal Gear Solid V - After hours of gameplay I got one massive slap in the face as an ending. An ending that felt like: ´F-off and thank you for collecting worthless resources and playing for hundreds of hours -for nothing, have a nice day´.
I was played like a goddamn fiddle. The only Metal Gear that I truly liked was MGS3.
The only thing MGS3 are missing today is the near perfect controls from MGSV and modern graphics. That's pretty much it.
i agree about mgsV but i wouldn't want a remake of it. i think you can find it on youtube but the real ending to mgs5 is told in a series of unfinished storyboards and concept art. :cautious:

i think nearly every mgs fan wants a remake of mgs3. ive got a feeling it will happen soon 🤞+ a full remake of peace walker would be cool... i personally would much rather a mgs3 remake then a mgs1 one which everyone is currently talking about - the gamecube mgs remake was fun and looked great but i remember it being not very groundbreaking and the first person view killed some parts and maked them too easy- ie boss battles etc.

while we are talking about mgs, i would vote for a remake of metal gear 1987 and metal gear 2. even as a mgs fan, i find it very hard to play those type retro games. ( both games are included with the ps3 mgs he collection but i've barely touched them.)

for the future of mgs i would very much like kojima to collaborate with another game creator, maybe someone from europe or usa? it's just that someone needs to rain kojima in a little bit ( imo mgs5 and death stranding were a mess) + as mgs is a japanese take on american culture / action movies, having a westerner juxtapose it with their take on japanese culture, might be pretty cool.

Cool topic!

I think the difficult thing would be to distinguish between a game that could be improved in a sequel vs a standalone game that was a huge missed opportunity. Say if it had a great story and premise but bad gameplay, or perhaps vice-versa.

I haven't played these, but when looking at Sega maybe something like Golden Axe: Beast Rider (essentially, just make a good 3D Golden Axe game with 3-4 characters, in-depth visceral combat, mounts, and perhaps some slight upgrade system but not a full RPG) and Shinobi PS2 (balance out the difficulty and make fun platforming challenges).

Jade Cocoon 2.
1612295560828.png

One of the worst downgrade I've seen in a generation jump.

Shadow Hearts(First entry)
1612295618854.png

It needs the polish systems and visual presentation of the two superior sequels.

The latest Contra entry from Konami. That one needs to be re-cooked from the grounds up.

Last but not least, I need Gust/Banpresto to redo Ar Tenelico 3. Tone down the T & A's and blatant fan-service and rewrite the darn scenario to be more in line with the quality of the first two entry.
1612295976473.png

Back