What did you think of Face/Off?

SMDzero

Banned
Was YS drunk when he made up this game??

There’s no way anyone who’s in their right mind over the age of 4 would play this game for fun.

Why did YS think we would like playing this god awful asinine game?

I get that Ryo and Shenhua were basically cohabitating and YS wasn’t about to create a hot coffee mini game for them to pass the time but surely he could have thought of something better?

Maybe they could have played some sort of card game or something but I refuse to believe that Rock paper fuckface was popular in Bailu.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I was also quite baffled when I first saw Rock, Paper, Fuckface. Why on earth is this even a thing? I honestly think he should have put Koi-Koi or Mahjong or even Chess for all I care in there. I thought some of the mini games in S3 like wood chopping for instance and even fishing were quite fun, but this thing? No idea what it's supposed to be.

The conversations between Ryo and Shenhua, the Face off mini game and so much more was a way for us to see the bond between Ryo and Shenhua getting stronger.

To me the Face Off mini game is cute and funny, i enjoy the face off minigame and it is a sweet moment, we can even see Ryo laughing in this moments, i can see how much meeting Shenhua is really changing Ryo little by little.

To me Shenmue III is about Ryo getting to know Shenhua more and Shenhua getting to know Ryo more, and seeing their bond growing stronger and so much more.

Shenmue III to me is a calm, relaxing and sweet game, and this is one of the reasons why i love Shenmue III so much.💚

The conversations between Ryo and Shenhua, the Face off mini game and so much more was a way for us to see the bond between Ryo and Shenhua getting stronger.

To me the Face Off mini game is cute and funny, i enjoy the face off minigame and it is a sweet moment, we can even see Ryo laughing in this moments, i can see how much meeting Shenhua is really changing Ryo little by little.

To me Shenmue III is about Ryo getting to know Shenhua more and Shenhua getting to know Ryo more, and seeing their bond growing stronger and so much more.

Shenmue III to me is a calm, relaxing and sweet game, and this is one of the reasons why i love Shenmue III so much.💚
I agree it was cool seeing Ryo loosening up and laughing a bit while playing rock paper fuckface.

It doesn’t change the fact that the “game” is one of the most puerile things ever conceived enjoyed only by empty headed dolts.

Now for the benefit of Shenmue 4 we should come up with a better idea for a game.

Maybe Ryo could have just swiped the Sega Saturn from the bald headed lady at the temple and brought it to Shenhuas house so they could play it together?

Shenhua claimed it was this popular game taking Bailu Village by storm.

I never saw anyone else in Bailu playing it though
Maybe behind close doors. And heard it from word of mouth.

My guess is that face off was to be part of the rapport system that wasn't fully fleshed out. If they had the time to make that system more robust, it probably could've had an effect in terms of the plot etc. That said, they probably thought the game still worth including, as they'd already finished it; I suspect most players chuckled once or twice at the bizarre face animations.

I only played it on my first run (to see if it had an effect), but I suppose it has some charm. I do think something like a card game would've made more sense, even with rapport. They could still talk while playing, she could adapt to your play style, etc.

As to the "popularity" of face off: I feel like it would've made more sense if Bailu was closer to its original design, i.e., being much simpler and rural. I don't really see that game "taking the village by storm" when there's gambling, booze, and an arcade.

It's not John Woo's best film, but it's still pretty good.

I much prefer Hard Boiled myself.

Also. Chill out. You make it sound like Suzuki ran over your dog or something.
Shenmue 4: In order for Ryo to trap Lan Di he must become him.

Wait a minute, did you opened a thread asking people what they think about this minigame to call those who enjoy or appreciate it "puerile" and "empty headed"? Wow, so mature and elevated.

Wait a minute, did you opened a thread asking people what they think about this minigame to call those who enjoy or appreciate it "puerile" and "empty headed"? Wow, so mature and elevated.
I was referring to the characters in the game being dumb for liking it.

Basically I was insulting Ryo and Shenhua not the player perhaps I should have been more clear.

Last edited:
Actually really enjoyed Face-Off.

So random and super funny for me amid very relaxing Shenhua dialogue

Would be cool if their was an Easter Egg if you played 100 consecutive rounds.

Shenhua: Paper.

Ryo: ROCK! (punches Shenhua in the face)

Why did Ryo and Shenhua find the game fun? And they were also wasting time, that outhouse wasn't going to clean itself.

I was referring to the characters in the game being dumb for liking it.

Basically I was insulting Ryo and Shenhua not the player perhaps I should have been more clear.
There’s plenty of things to call Ryo dumb over but this goofy little game isn’t really one of them

Back