What Movie Are You Watching?

i saw killers of the flower moon at the cinema today.

it's about 3hours and 20mins. i came out of the cinema with a headache o_O

the movie has an interesting story, the acting is good but it's not that exciting as a cinema movie and some of the dialogue scenes are too long and get dragged out. i don't think it would of hurt to have edited this film down to around 2h or less.. it probably would of made it better.

i think i would of much preferred to have watched this movie via streaming from home but i don't have apple tv and i didn't want to miss out on watching it.

i would put this movie on par with oppenheimer (2023).

7.5/10

Watched RE Death Island last night. I enjoyed it but not as much as the previous, Vendetta. I wish they would have explained more of the aftermath of Jill working through RE5's events. They had such an opportunity to make this incredible but it was just... OK.

Still, not bad. Most the fan favorites are there... Jill, Chris, Claire, Leon and Rebecca. I give it a C+ to B-.
I hated it. Dialogue was specially bad because characters keep on hammering the same preaching lines over and over again. I only slightly enjoyed it a bit more than that Netflix series with Lance Reddick, which was atrocious, because Leon, Jill and Co are in it.

Here's my monthly(ish) updates! Brilliant films in bold!

New films
1) Demonlover / Olivier Assayas / 2002 / 4/5
2) Gundam Seed The Movie 3: The Rumbling Sky / Mitsuo Fukusa / 2005 / 3/5
3) Past Lives / Celine Song / 2023 / 4.5/5
4) Querelle / Rainer Werner Fassbinder / 1982 / 4/5
5) Joint Security Area / Park Chan-Wook / 2000 / 4/5
6) The Killing of a Chinese Bookie / John Cassavetes / 1976 / 4/5
7) Gundam Seed Destiny The Movie 1: The Shattered World / Mitsuo Fukuda / 2006 / 3/5
8) Expend4bles / Scott Waugh / 2023 / 2/5
9) Bread and Roses / Ken Loach / 2000 / 4/5
10) Caged Heat / Jonathan Demme / 1974 / 3/5
11) Drugstore Cowboy / Gus Van Sant / 1989 / 3/5
12) Fraternity of Horror / Richard Crane / 1964 / 1/5
13) The Old Oak / Ken Loach / 2023 / 4/5
14) Delirium / Peter Maris / 1979 / 2/5
15) The Burning Buddha Man / Ujicha / 2013 / 3/5
16) Olivia / Ulli Lommel / 1981 / 3/5
17) The Great Escaper / Oliver Parker / 2023 / 3.5/5
18) Gundam Seed Destiny The Movie 2: Their Respective Swords / Mitsuo Fukuda / 2006 / 3/5
19) Beyond Darkness / Claudio Fragasso / 1990 / 1/5
20) Cold War / Pawel Pawlikowski / 2018 / 3.5/5
21) Violence Voyager / Ujicha / 2018 / 4/5
22) A Haunting in Venice / Kenneth Branagh / 2023 / 3/5
23) Maniac / William Lustig / 1980 / 3/5
24) Killers of the Flower Moon / Martin Scorsese / 2023 / 4.5/5
25) Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man / Lian Lunson / 2005 / 3/5 (Documentary)

Short Films
1) The Retneprac 2 / Ujicha / 2009 / 2/5
2) Space Yokai War / Ujicha / 2010 / 3/5
3) Tempura / Ujicha / 2014 / 4/5
4) Nasty / Prano Bailey-Bond / 2015 / 3/5
5) Judgement / Park Chan-Wook / 1999 / 4/5
6) The Cowboy and the Frenchman / David Lynch / 1988 / 3.5/5

TV Shows etc
1) Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th / Daniel Farrands / 2013 / 4/5 [Documentary]
2) Ban the Sadist Videos! / David Gregory / 2005-06 / 3/5 [Documentary]
3) Andor / Toby Haynes et al / 2022 / 4/5

Rewatched films
1) Night of the Demon / James C. Wasson / 1980 / 2.5/5
2) Kagemusha / Akira Kurosawa / 1980 / 3.5/5
3) Stop Making Sense / Jonathan Demme / 1984 / 5/5 (Live Concert)
4) Absolute Power / Clint Eastwood / 1997 / 3/5
5) The Exorcist / William Frederick / 1973 / 5/5
6) The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended) / Peter Jackson / 2001 / 5/5
7) The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Extended) / Peter Jackson / 2002 / 5/5
8) Beauty and the Beast / Gary Trousdale & Kirk Wise / 1991 / 5/5

9) Friday the 13th / Sean S. Cunningham / 1980 / 3.5/5
10) Censor / Prano Bailey-Bond / 2021 / 4/5
11) Christine / John Carpenter / 1983 / 4/5

It makes me happy that there continues to be brilliant new films from up and coming filmakers; Past Lives is a beautiful, sensitive romance film; the kind I thought would be out of favour. The last 10 minutes really tugged at my heart strings. Likewise, it's wonderful that old masters continue to knock films out of the park; hence The Old Oak by Ken Loach and Killers of the Flower Moon by Martin Scorsese. Both films look at injustice in different eras and in different ways. Both are not easy films to watch, but my goodness do they stick with you. Loach said he is going to retire (he's well into his 80's), but it says that his most recent films (about the sorry state of the United Kingdom) have brought out such vital works. As for Scorsese, he could do a film about toilet paper and i'd watch it. Long may he reign. I think I liked The Irishman just a little more, but I think ths new one is technically a 'better' film.

I've also been watching a lot of films by an insane Japanese director called Ujicha; his films are animated films with paper characters akin to something you'd see on British TV in the 1970's. In his case, his films are a twisted Cronenberg-ian, Lynch-ian horror. My patience varied, but his 3 minute film Tempura was a pitch black piece of work. I felt guilty for laughing....

Not sure what to say about Andor other than aside from a very boring start, it's probably the best Star Wars show so far. Very gripping stuff.

Also, I doubt there's anything about The Exorcist, Beauty and the Beast or The Lord of the Rings I could say other than they are essential. My only regret is I was too exhausted to rewatch The Return of the King. As for Stop Making Sense; it truly is one of the greatest concert films ever made. I'm only a casual Talking Heads fan, but even the songs I didn't know had a joy that made me happy to be alive.

i finally saw the 2022, all quite on the western front (netflix).

its very good and of course, quite depressing. it nothing like the 1970s version i've seen before.

the battle scenes are are probably the best i've seen in a war film for a long time. the only thing i didnt like is the cgi special effects, ie cgi blood spatter from gun shots / stab wounds.. it seems to be a trend with a lot of films now, to add cgi blood etc.. i am no way into gore but cgi always looks fake and takes me out of the movie when these special effects pop up.

i won't spoil anything but the first 15mins, outline the tone of the film and it made me realise something i never knew.

it's worth watching it you have netflix. i know it's a movie but its a good reminder how pointless war is.

I FINALLY (over a year later, lol) watched the rest of the 4 films in the Police Story collection, as I had a day off at home. It included SuperCop (great), First Strike (worst film in the collection by far), New Police Story (AWESOME) and 2013 (I found it to be fantastic), will break it down below:

SuperCop (1992):

Ka-Kui (Jackie Chan) is still with the Hong Kong Police Department and when his superiors are speaking with Interpol, about a druglord that is causing problems within mainland China, Ka-Kui is setup by Uncle Bill (Bill Tung) to make it sound like Ka-Kui shouldn't take the job. Of course, he does and he is paired (for training) with Jessica Yang (played brilliantly by Michelle Yeoh) and then thrust into the fire. Such a big name (though she wasn't super well-known at the time) of course would get more screen time and she does, but if you haven't seen it, I don't want to spoil.

Was a fun romp, super enjoyable, Yeoh is a fantastic actress and she works well/has great chemistry with Chan, who is just as endearing and superb like always. Seeing Maggie Cheung again is always a treat and the plot is actually not as ridiculously over the top as one might think. Great location shots too and superb action, a hallmark of a Stanley Tong film.

8/10

First Strike (1996):

Jackie (Jackie Chan) is helping the CIA investigate potential Nuclear problems in Ukraine and follows a Ukrainian chick, meeting up with her boyfriend, a Chinese National, Jackson (played by Jackson Lou). Something goes awry and then Jackie is saved by the KGB, who fly him to Australia to surveil Jackson and ultimately attempt to resolve the Nuclear issue.

Disjointed from the word, "go," things are very confusing at times, lots of plot holes and the funny hijinks just aren't there throughout. Lou is a good actor, but he is given VERY little to do and his on-screen sister, Annie (Annie Wu) is stunning and instead of showing her off a bit, they show her for 1 1/2 minutes in a bikini and that's it >_>. The action is also concentrated to four scenes, basically (as opposed to the first three films, that had maybe a dozen action scenes each and Rumble in the Bronx {the closest film to this, in terms of style and era}, which is all action from beginning to end, basically). Stanley Tong did a great job with Supercop, RitB, but didn't do a great job here.

At least we get to see Nathan Jones speak/dub in Russian! :D

6/10

New Police Story (2004):

Kwok-Wing (Chan, no longer named, "Ka-Kui)" enlists a team of his best men to capture some wealthy bank robbers, who are all teenagers/young adults (they're between like 16 and 20). He states in a press conference that he and his team will take them down in 3 hours, after they make a narrow escape from another police team (who evade a longtime friend of Kwok Wing). When they enter the building/structure that the kids are in however, the team is slowly picked off, one by one and tortured/attacked to within death (but not quite). After Kwok-Wing cannot save them in specific challenges, they all die (including his brother in-law) and he turns to being a severe alcoholic. A young cop finds him though and gets him to muster up the courage to go after them again.

The plot is formulaic, but really well-done and makes use of emotion and in-film circumstances very well, with little to no plotholes or major errors. IMO, this is Chan's best acting of the series to this point and he shows a ton of depth and emotion, from high to low and everything in-between. The supporting cast is fantastic and the villains are truly full of disdain and get you riled up. Tons of great action and stunts and the sets are superb: many consider this the dark horse of the series and I deem it to be best or second-best (flip-flopping with the first film). Lots of funny moments too, an all-around enjoyable film.

9/10

Police Story 2013 (2013):

Zhong Wen (Chan) is in some sort of bar/red light district around Christmastime in China and he is dropped off by a cab in front of a Bar Wu, where he is to meet up with his daughter, whom he has not seen in 6 months. Certain others are invited to the bar and they all recognise each other from different points in their lives. The owner of the bar, Wu (a great job done by Liu Ye) reveals himself to be Zhong Wen's daughter's boyfriend and shows Zhong around the premises, until Zhong's daughter (Miao) finally shows up. A homeless man enters the bar however (he is not welcome), bluffs that he has dynamite on him and when Zhong goes to quell the situation, he is knocked unconscious by one of the large bouncer-esque men that Zhong walked by prior.

The least action of the series, by far (that's not a bad thing, trust me), I am absolutely astounded that this was flayed alive so much by critics and moviegoers: sure, it isn't a groundbreaking, epic and long-lasting film, but it was a great watch, kept me on the edge of my seat for most of it and as the plot slowly gets revealed, one can see that it is a great bit of storytelling by all involved. There are a couple of plotholes, but nothing major and nothing that detracts you from the main story and the film takes on almost a very Rashomon feel towards the end. Chan's character makes certain precedents at the beginning of the film, in terms of his philosophies and attitudes and these are upheld until the very end, which makes the plot even more enjoyable and engaging.

If you're in for more of a talkie and less action for a Chan film (kind of like the Foreigner, but not as high-profile and slick), this one has your back and it is my choice for Dark Horse of the series: I put it #4 and it is my 2nd favourite.

8/10

So overall, I will put it like this (doing a Yakuza/Ryu ga Gotoku-style rating):

What films are best:

New Police Story>1>2>2013>SuperCop>First Strike

My favourites:

2>2013>NPS>SuperCop>1>First Strike

All but First Strike are really good films though: fun, light (but enjoyable) plot, great acting and the typical Chan Charm and Action, this is a fantastic series if you have a few days to kill, just watching films; I would also recommend watching Rumble in the Bronx alongside as well, as even though it isn't part of the series, it 100% feels like it is a part of the series.

Last edited:
@Truck_1_0_1_ all respect to you having Police Story 2 over everything, particularly over part 1. As time has gone Police Story 2 holds up better than 1 IMO, plus 2 is the only one that doesn't treat Maggie Cheung like an absolute clown. My only knock on 2 is it slows down big time after the fight in the park until the final showdown at the factory.

For me Supercop is my favorite, Michelle Yeoh is such a force and the stunts in it are absolutely bananas.

Great list.

It's a great series of films and I infinitely like 2 better; was much more entertaining than one and less ridiculous/hijinks.

I enjoyed SuperCop a lot, Yeoh is awesome and the plot is great!

Rewatching the first 4 Indiana Jones movies. Then on to the new Mission Impossible and 65.

I don’t think I have much hope of remembering everything I’ve seen since my last post here…not a lot but different things here and there.

One my mother wanted to see, this Netflix one I guess called ‘Leave the world behind’ I think, based off a relatively recent book I never read. Thought it would be scarier from previews, definitely had this sort of The Happening thing going on(another I’ve never seen, just going off previews). I thought it was just alright, better than expected, was fine with the ending. But I guess a ton of people didn’t like it, and I’m not sure if that’s because of differences with the book or the kind of overt political messaging.

Had I mentioned Kiki’s Delivery Service yet? If not, very cute movie, much more relaxed than Princess Mononoke or even Spirited Away, far less sad than Grave of the Fireflies. Really enjoyed it all around and that it had a bit of room to breathe.

Yesterday watched Howl’s moving castle with friends. Not sure quite how much I missed of the start but must have been within the first 10-20 minutes. Even so, felt like I understood it about as well as the others. Lots of stuff that felt Wizard of Oz or Beauty and the Beast like, and a lot of the crazier elements felt close to Spirited Away. Favorite scene was Sophie and that huge Dimitresque-esque lady racing up the stairs at a snails pace. Definitely anti war themes but also liked the idea of love making you feel young again, or knowing when you have to let that go. Funny Christian Bale voiced Howl lending credence to Griffith adjacent characters and Batman being related.

Jinkies! Got a big update to do....it's funny, because having listed everything I think to myself "I've barely watched anything" (the backlog is 400+ films), but I really, really have. Time doesn't permit me to go into much detail, but anything in bold is something I consider brilliant, moving, interesting or a combination of the 3. Happy to go into detail if anyone is interested!

New films i've seen
1) Roadgames / Richard Franklin / 1981 / 4/5
2) Spider Baby or, The Maddest Story Ever Told / Jack Hill / 1967 / 4/5
3) The Witch's Mirror / Chano Urueta / 1962 / 3/5
4) Five Superfighters / Mar Lo / 1979 / 3/5
5) One of Our Aircraft is Missing / Michael Powell & Emeric Pressberger / 1942 / 4/5
6) The Last Year of Darkness / Benjamin Mullinkosson / 2023 / 3.5/5 [Documentary]
7) They Shot the Piano Player / Fernando Trueba & Xavier Mariscal / 2023 / 4/5 [Documentary]
8) Knit's Island / Ekiem Barbier, Guilhem Causse & Quentin L'Helgouac'h / 2023 / 3/5 [Documentary]
9) The Killer / David Fincher / 2023 / 5/5
10) Dream Scenario / Kristoffer Borgli / 2023 / 4/5
11) Gundam Seed Destiny Movie #4: The Cost of Freedom / Mitsuo Fukuda / 2007 / 4/5
12) I'm Not There / Todd Haynes / 2007 / 4/5
13) Thanksgiving / Eli Roth / 2023 / 4/5
14) Shockproof / Douglas Sirk / 1949 / 3/5
15) Matinee / Joe Dante / 1993 / 3/5
16) Napoleon / Ridley Scott / 2023 / 4/5
17) David Byrne's American Utopia / Spike Lee / 2020 / 4/5 [Concert]
18) The State of Things / Wim Wenders / 1982 / 3/5
19) Anatomy of A Fall / Justine Triet / 2023 / 4/5
20) Scandal Sheet / Phil Karlson / 1952 / 4/5
21) Fallen Angels / Wong Kar Wai / 1995 / 4/5
22) This Transient Life / Akio Jissoji / 1970 / 4/5
23) A Silent Voice / Naoko Yamada / 2016 / 5/5
24) Happy Togehter / Wong Kar Wai / 1997 / 3/5
25) Vertigo 2005: U2 Live from Chicago / Hamish Hamilton / 2005 / 4/5 [Concert]
26) Godzilla Minus One / Takashi Yamazaki / 2023 / 4/5
27) Invincible Shaolin / Chang Cheh / 1978 / 4/5
28) Underworld U.S.A. / Samuel Fuller / 1961 / 4/5
29) Collateral Damage / Andrew Davis / 2002 / 2/5
30) Revenge of Lady Street Fighter / James Bryan / 1990 / 1/5
31) Ferrari / Michael Mann / 2023 / 3/5
32) One Sings, The Other Doesn't / Agnés Varda / 1977 / 4/5
33) The Seventh Curse / Lam Ngai-Kai / 1986 / 4/5
34) About Time / Richard Curtis / 2013 / 4/5

35) Maximum Risk / Ringo Lam / 1996 / 2/5
36) Wonka / Paul King / 2023 / 4/5
37) Priscilla / Sofia Coppola / 2023 / 4/5
38) The Violent Professionals / Sergio Martino / 1973 / 3/5
39) Malcolm X / Spike Lee / 1992 / 4/5
40) 2046 / Wong Kar Wai / 2004 / 4/5
41) The Boy and the Heron / Hayao Miyazaki / 2023 / 4.5/5
42) One Life / James Hawes / 2023 / 4/5
43) The Boys in the Boat / George Clooney / 2023 / 4/5
44) Poor Things / Yorgos Lanthimos / 2023 / 5/5

Rewatched
1) Cannibal Holocaust / Ruggero Deodato / 1980 / 4/5
2) The Evil Dead / Sam Raimi / 1981 / 5/5
3) The Shining (Extended Edition) / Stanley Kubrick / 1980 / 5/5

4) Days of Being Wild / Wong Kar Wai / 1990 / 3/5
5) Black Narcissus / Michael Powell & Emeric Pressberger / 1947 / 4/5
6) U2 Come Home: Live in Slane / Hamish Hamilton / 2002 / 4/5 [Live concert]
7) B'z Live Gym 2008: Action / Unknown / 2008 / 4/5
8) Mur Murs / Agnés Varga / 1981 / 3.5/5 [Documentary]
9) Chungking Express / Wong Kar Wai / 1994 / 4/5
10) Scarface / Brian De Palma / 1983 / 5/5

11) The Big Boss / Lo Wei / 1971 / 3.5 [Extended Mandarin Version for the first time]
12) B'z Live Gym Pleasure 2008: Glory Days / Unknown / 2008 / 5/5
13) Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil / Clint Eastwood / 1997 / 3/5
14) Fists of Fury / Lo Wei / 1972 / 4/5
15) The Red Shoes / Michael Powell & Emeric Pressberger / 194x / 5/5
16) Die Hard / John McTiernan / 1988 / 5/5
17) It's A Wonderful Life / Frank Capra / 1946 / 5/5

18) Guys and Dolls / Joseph L. Mankiewicz / 1955 / 3/5
19) In The Mood for Love / Wong Kar Wai / 2000 / 4/5
20) Women Reply: Our Bodies, Our Sex / Agnés Varda / 1975 / 4/5 [Short]
21) The Pleasure of Love in Iran / Agnés Varda / 1976 / 4/5 [Short]
22) U2 360: Live at the Rose Bowl / Tom Krueger / 2010 /3/5
23) The Way of the Dragon / Bruce Lee / 1973 / 3.5/5
24) B'z Live Gym 2010: Ain't No Magic / Unknown / 2010 / 4/5
25) Game of Death / Robert Clouse / 1978 / 2/5
26) Paris, Texas / Wim Wenders / 1984 / 4/5
27) Anatomy of A Murder / Otto Preminger / 1960 / 5/5

Short films
1) And His Ghost May Be Heard / Richard Franklin / 1973 / 2/5
2) Yuki's Sun / Hayao Miyazaki / 1972 / 5/5
3) Strange Way of Life / Pedro Almodóvar / 2023 / 3/5
4) The Beatles: Now and Then / Peter Jackson / 2023 / 4/5 [Music video]
5) The Volunteer / Michael Powell & Emeric Pressberger / 1944 / 3/5
6) An Airman's Letter To His Mother / Michael Powell / 1941 / 3/5
7) Target for Tonight / Harry Watt / 1941 / 2/5
8) Reverse Angle: Ein Brief Aus New York / Wim Wenders / 1982 / 3/5
9) The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special / James Gunn / 2022 / 4/5
10) Hua Yang De Nian Hua / Wong Kar Wai / 2000 / 4/5

11) The Hand / Wong Kar Wai / 2004 / 3/5

TV shows etc
1) The Kingdom I [3/4 episodes] / Lars Von Trier / 1994 / 4/5
2) The Mandalorian Seasons 1 - 3 / Various / 2019 - 2023 / 4/5
3) Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans / Tatsuyuki Nagai / 2015 / 5/5
4) Dave Chappelle: The Dreamer / Stan Lathan / 2023 / 2/5
5) Ahsoka / Various / 2023 / 3/5

Not a big movie watcher, but I watched Threads recently, after having come across something mentioning it online. Makes Nineteen Eighty-Four (the John Hurt one) and Schindler's List look like Teletubbies by comparison. The most grim film I've ever laid eyes on. Essential viewing, though. That film got under my skin and into my bones.

If you thought the sound of your cat or dog getting ready to puke got you out of bed at record-breaking speed, set your phone's alarm to "ATTACK WARNING RED! ATTACK WARNING RED!" You'll be up and making your morning cup of coffee before you even realise you're awake and out of bed.

Just got done watching the following:

MISI-3767793080.jpg

I've always really enjoyed the Mission Impossible movies. This one is long and it's a two parter. So... yeah. Even with as long as the movie is (nearly 3 hrs), it's a fun thrillride. The storyline is also very relevant to the modern era of AI. The entire plot actually looks very plausible as being what's occurring in the real world. Definitely made me think.

I recommend it. Very enjoyable. Looking forward to part 2.

Stupid me, I went to the theatre (TIFF to be exact: not the festival itself, the place where the festival takes place, which is still called TIFF, lol) with my dad for the Canadian Premiere of probably my favourite era of Formula 1 (the 50s):

Ferrari (2023):

A man wakes up from a woman in bed, kisses the forehead of a young boy in another bed and pulls up his covers, before heading to his car and puts it into neutral, before getting in and starting it up after it rolls down this hill: this is Enzo Ferrari (played superbly by Adam Driver) and he's heading to his factory, before getting some testing done on his upcoming Cars. At the same time, Jean Behra (a driver for rival Maserati) and a free agent, Alfonso de Portago, arrive in Modena on the same train. Ferrari is having a terrible time making money from selling their road cars, so the accountant for the company suggests that if you win the Mille Miglia, you'll sell more cars. Ferrari then puts all of his attention on preparing for said race, signs de Portago and has to deal with his wife (played even more brilliantly by Penelope Cruz), all the while juggling motorsport and the woman he truly loves.

Fantastic film, it does a wonderful job of displaying the man and the team at the time and even though the tall, skinny Driver plays the stubby, pudgy Ferrari, he is nothing short of brilliant.

Of course, if you are a racing fan, you'll get more out of it, but a great watch for all.

And the racing scenes? Absolutely phenomenal.

And **** Alfonso de Portago.

9/10

Last edited:
What I’ve noticed, mostly for Hong Kong action films, is the increase in the use of music during their action scenes over the years. I bring this up because New Police Story was mentioned earlier in this thread. I remember being in college when that came out and being so hyped for it. I got my hands on a pirated VCD from a sort of Little Saigon-like area here in northern VA, and I wasn’t disappointed at all. Then as time went on and my appreciation for the original Police Story growing, I kept imagining what New Police Story would be like if the soundtrack was restrained a bit more. Honestly, I didn’t like a lot of the New Police Story soundtrack (although Chan’s September Storm still rocks my socks). Police Story didn’t use much music at all, and the entire finale in the shopping mall is almost completely devoid of music until the ending theme pops up. And then there’s the US dub of Police Story (from Miramax or New Line…can’t remember). I actually saw that one first before I ever saw the original HK version, so I was used to hearing all this music play over the ending fight scene. I was really surprised how different the original film felt with the lack of music. The finale in particular was so much more intense. I wonder if the same effect would happen with New Police Story. Of course, it’s all up to the filmmakers, so different tastes and such. I just always found it interesting.

As a filmmaker myself, I’ve been caught up in this sort of dilemma. I’ll watch films that I take inspiration from (like Police Story), and see music won’t be used in key scenes. Whereas I will blast the soundtrack over every key scene in one of my movies. Probably stems from my own insecurity that I’m not telling the story or communicating the characters’ motivations/emotions enough in the scene. Seeing it from that perspective and then watching other films that do a similar thing is interesting to me, because then I’m wondering if the director (or the studio) felt they needed to lay it on thick due to feeling the scene wasn’t strong enough on its own for the audience to connect with.

I’m sure I probably watched more between now and my last post but I guess nothing as noteworthy to bother remembering. The other night I watched Suzume with some friends, a film by the same folks behind Your Name.

Now, I didn’t like Your Name so much. I felt it was a pretty bland and boring cliched love story with the same old body switching trope, only with some arbitrary twist that kind of sucked out all the tension from it and I just don’t feel it got resolved properly. I event looked up again recently why people liked it so much and it seems to boil down to flashy visuals and just a lot of folks who aren’t very well versed in animated films in general I guess. I’m glad I’m not totally alone at least, even if it does seem a minority those who disliked it. Now, I don’t think I had an agenda against it to start with, however I had watched A Silent Voice and saw it being compared. I really don’t think they have much in common to begin with, but definitely preferred it and felt it had a far clearer message and deeper characters, even with finding how much it cut from the manga. Even with that said, I’d read a manga I’d heard about after with a slightly similar concept called Inside Mari and found it a far more compelling use of the trope of characters switching bodies.

Now, onto this new movie…I actually really enjoyed it despite my low expectations. I’d tried to keep them more or less in check. Still a really beautiful film for sure, tons of detail, a far cry from your normal anime shows in animation budget these days unfortunately. Anyway, it started off similarly bland but at least intriguing, the whole chair thing adding a lot to its initial charm. I won’t spoil much more than that but I’ll say on the whole it actually got me to care about some strong character moments, laugh a bit, and I felt the message pretty clearly in this one in repressing painful memories only making them worse and having to process them to move on. Not something wholly original but still far more interesting in the way it was presented.

I hadn’t realized this director’s done other works, so I may be interested in finding them and watching them sometime. We’ll see. But seeing so many Ghibli movies lately, I feel one strong difference is many of them give characters and moments time to breathe between all the action, whereas these both felt like they were catering to people with such short attention spans. Wasn’t hard to keep up but just surprised there could almost never be times when you could dwell on anything in particular.

i rewatched dune part 1 last night (streaming) and i saw dune part 2 in the cinema today.

although part 1 was impressive, when i saw it first time around at the cinema, i remember being disappointed the way the story built up the story and then just ended abruptly and i would have to wait years for a conclusion.. but seeing parts 1 and 2 "back to back", it is a pretty epic story... it's kinda how i wanted star wars episodes 7/8/9 to have been. im looking forward to dune part 3.

on a side note, dune part 2 in the cinema had so many loud, booming scenes, the cinema screen keep rippling like water lol.. also unlike watching killer of the flower moon (3hours long), dune part 2 (2.5 hours long) was not a chore to watch.

Last edited:
@BloodyHeartland also a fan of anime and I personally think that Your Name and Suzume are masterpieces. Glad you enjoyed Suzume! While I subscribe to the common thought that Your Name is Shinkai's magnum opus, Suzume does some key things better than Your Name, particularly in that Suzume has a great arc and she's probably Shinkai's best written protagonist. I would just push back that the film isn't wholly original. Any familiar elements are likely because the film was a love letter to Miyazaki while serving as a very compelling coming of age road trip movie. Spirited Away was a play off Alice in Wonderland but that'll never take away the compelling journey and connections that film made with the audience.

Loved reading your thoughts!

hideo kojima connecting worlds - i thought it was interesting to get a glimpse into making of a computer game. personally i didn't highly rate death stranding but after watching this documentary, i got a better understanding of the game. 6/10

poor things - i cant say i liked this one. it's really not my type of film. 4/10

starship troopers - (rewatch) such a good movie. it's halo, aliens and a ww2 film, blended together. it's just fun and gory. 8.5/10

jules (2023). a light hearted alien film. i liked it. 7/10

the flash (2023). it's surprisingly quite good. i liked it. ive seen some of the modern superheroes movies but as most are aimed at kids, i avoid them. i saw this one because i'm a fan of a certain classic superhero who stars in this film. 7/10

Back