Which systems/ideas from Shenmue 3 would you keep for Shenmue 4? Get rid of?

The most baffling one for me is Help being assigned to a face button...something you barely use and that could've been stuck literally anywhere else...which means "Interact" and "Open notebook" have to share a button 🧐

That was the same as Shenmue on DC. It never bothered me at all, but if they changed it I wouldn’t be against it.

re. the sparring, I like it as a means of practicing and upgrading new moves but if they had a static dummy (like the one inch punch), where you could also practice moves, that might add for variety to it. Again, it’s not a big deal at all to me if they keep it as is. I like the contrast between sparring and fighting the monks.

That was the same as Shenmue on DC. It never bothered me at all, but if they changed it I wouldn’t be against it.
It never bothered me in the old games either but it's more annoying here for whatever reason. I'm always trying to view a new notebook entry and accidentally interacting with the NPC I was just talking to.

It might be as simple as Ryo turning away from the NPC he was just talking to in previous games. I'd have to check.

good:
Im a big fan of the cinematic qte moments , every time i had one it put a big smile on my face. ..i think they missed an opportunity to have an epic Qte battle with ren which could of rivalled the great qte chase in S2.
im talking about the free fighting with ren vs the red snakes on the bridge

forcing you to buy skill books & having to level them up is a good imo.

the humour is good and worked well.. unlike star wars ep9 lol

spot on recapturing the feel of shenmue 2.

jobs and need/use of money was nicely balanced.

story seemed fine to me.

art style & graphics were good.

bad:

free fighting is not great. they need to fix it. something more like s2 would be better and bing back judo throws. in an ideal world, it would be great if the fighting was more realistic & heavy.. where punches, blows and blocks had more importance (something closer to shenmues qte battles)

i would prefer if the qte screen information/pop ups went back to shenmue 1 style. the shenmue 3 ones are very unforgiving. i understand some people say they are "broken"?

im not a fan of all the in game references to shenmue 3 or fans . i know they did it for the kickstarter backers but it kills the immersion. also the amount of detail and effort put into creating this stuff could of been better used creating more important aspects of the game like different/more npc faces etc

the start of the game was very slow. maybe they should look to the movie formula when making shenmue4. a big action sequence would to get us going would of been better.

health... im not sure about the eating to regain health, especially in regards to fighting. personally i would get rid of it or have an option to switch it off.

Keep leveling system but make it feel less grindy. I cant stand the horse stance

Ditch the stamina system. It didnt bother me once my stamina got both enough but I can do without it

Ditch having 500 different items for sale

Keep:

Kung fu/leveling system - I know this has its detractors, but I think it's a good idea and encourages you to train. I'd like the team to make sure they don't start Ryo over at level 1 in the next game. That would be a horrible mistake. I get it this time, because it's almost like a do-over episode, but they need to avoid falling into this trap again four games into the series.

I agree with this. What I want is for it to be kept, but for Ryo to begin at what is considered 'max' levels from Shenmue 3, with the ability to increase this to further levels that weren't available in Shenmue 3.

I would actually include the stamina system in this, but this time it should be less of an issue if you begin at the equivalent of Shenmue 3's maximum levels and you have the opportunity to level it up even further. I'd also make it so standing still doesn't drain your health/stamina and so you can eat meals in restaurants that replenish your health/stamina a substantial amount. Perhaps they could have a stamina bar that is separate and your health only drops when it gets to 0.

Also, they must keep herb collecting.

The focus next time must be on the story and pacing though, for sure. I really don't mind what they keep or drop as long as the core mechanics and gameplay are there, but with much better character development, story writing and pacing.

The focus next time must be on the story and pacing though, for sure. I really don't mind what they keep or drop as long as the core mechanics and gameplay are there, but with much better character development, story writing and pacing.
I agree, the concept and systems are now in place. The gameplay is generally solid. With some tweaks here or there and some better sotyr focus (though I did enjoy what was there) they would be on to a winner.

Everything. I would just improve upon them.(And I would add an option to make the stamina system less punishing for players that don't like it.)

Keep : kung fu leveling up, herb collecting, Chobu finding.

Remove : Stamina (or improve it, bring back self regen in fight (higher endurance, better regen), add breakfast/lunch/dinner instead of eating raw vegetables, add cooking (like in BOTW, use multiple ingredients for better effects) etc...)
Curfew : bring back 23PM.

As for the tokens, they will stay, because gambling is now illegal in video games accessible to children, just like in pokemon, they removed the gambling games because of that, maybe they can make the next Shenmue adult only, but the game will loose a part of it's audience.

Keep everything, add in crate carrying, big or small, slightly slower QTE, more command QTE as well as the one-inch-punch QTE for plot scenes. Probably one or two other minor details I'm forgetting for the moment.

I honestly don't miss throws. They're cool and love to use them in the right situation in the original games, but there's plenty of every other old and new moves I like and loving the new face mapping style.

EDIT. Wait, go back to menu being Y/Triangle..... only change! With PS4 triggers being shallow, i don't mind running with R2 without ability to swap over to L2. If triggers aren't deep enough to walk (plus the new engine doesn't really allow it anyway), then zoom/run swapping is non-essential now.

Return to the old VF fighter engine.

Change the QTEs back to the original prompts.

Stamina system - I could take it or leave it.

Bring back analogue running. I didnt like Ryo was either walking or Running. In SI/II you could do a jogby pulling the trigger half way.

I thought pulling a rickshaw would be a cool way for Ryo to make money, a sort of Taxi service minigame. Would have worked well in Chobu and a good way to learn where everything is.

I thought pulling a rickshaw would be a cool way for Ryo to make money, a sort of Taxi service minigame. Would have worked well in Chobu and a good way to learn where everything is.
ah cool. jobs wise..

food delivery guy on a bike?
or washing plates in a kitchen? ( thats what bruce lee had to do in real life)

Those asking for the Virtua Fighter engine, you've got more chance of Yu Suzuki coming to your house and body checking you than it coming back. If Sega wouldn't give him rights to games or capsule toys then he ain't getting that engine either.

One thing I'd like the next game to improve:

I liked the fact that we have to train Ryo and I found the mini-games for money-grinding rather entertaining. However I would have liked that some of them help Ryo gain levels in some specific areas.
For example:

- Wood chopping could help improve Ryo's strength
- Duck chasing could help him improve his Speed and accuracy
- Fishing could help him improve his focus and patience

Of course the idea is not to force the player to play those minigames in order to level up, so what could be done is to have Mannequins for training that would greatly improve stats (same way as what's currently done in the game), and have some of the money minigames improve the same stats but slower.

That way, if the player wants to focus on training he can do so through Mannequins, but when he needs money he can combine money-grinding with slower-paced stats grinding as well. It would also be an incentive to continue grinding money via the mini games instead of focusing on gambling which is more rewarding.

I have to say I found it kind of awkward having Ryo spend so much time chopping wood and not benefit from it by any means (except money of course). :unsure:

Last edited:
Keep - Anything that progresses the main story and elements of the story to its conclusion.

Remove - Anything that delays the story concluding or slows down the progress. Stuff like gambling to buy a scroll, forklifts, chasing chickens etc. I enjoy some of this stuff to a point but after 20 years I'd rather get a conclusion to the story than focus on non essential mechanics that were revolutionary in 1999 but are mostly tedious in 2019.

I know people won’t like this, but I would keep the stamina system BUT I would make it so it doesn’t drain no matter what you do. Or make it that the more you build your endurance the longer it lasts.

I didn’t necessarily mind the stamina system, I just hated the fact that it drained even when standing still. To me, the stamina system tied well into the economy and gave further to reason to keep earning money.

if anything i’d like to see the food system get expended on. Give perks for the varients of food you eat. I remember in the interview I translated that Yu said he wanted to really tie food and training together.

okay, give me that. Give me those ideas. Expand on what they have some more.

I also felt that it actually made you care about making money.

I personally don't want to have a perk system for food since it encourages you to eat better foods instead of fighting better.

I would like collecting things to be a bit more interesting. It’d be nice to decorate Ryo’s room. Something like that. Just buying random junk so you can sell/trade it is a bit boring. Yakuza has the same issue sort of, but they at least integrate buying stuff into a system where you get points/achievements and feel rewarded for doing it.

Back