Which systems/ideas from Shenmue 3 would you keep for Shenmue 4? Get rid of?

I know people won’t like this, but I would keep the stamina system BUT I would make it so it doesn’t drain no matter what you do. Or make it that the more you build your endurance the longer it lasts.

I didn’t necessarily mind the stamina system, I just hated the fact that it drained even when standing still. To me, the stamina system tied well into the economy and gave further to reason to keep earning money.

if anything i’d like to see the food system get expended on. Give perks for the varients of food you eat. I remember in the interview I translated that Yu said he wanted to really tie food and training together.

okay, give me that. Give me those ideas. Expand on what they have some more.

IMO Stamina should be tied to running and fighting. It should also auto regenerate.

I would like collecting things to be a bit more interesting. It’d be nice to decorate Ryo’s room. Something like that. Just buying random junk so you can sell/trade it is a bit boring. Yakuza has the same issue sort of, but they at least integrate buying stuff into a system where you get points/achievements and feel rewarded for doing it.

Moreover, all the capsule toys are visible in the inventory, no matter if you own them or not. So the pleasure of earning the said items is half spoiled. Not to mention the very limited zoom or the inability to rotate the item when it is on Ryo's hand.

Side quests
  • Allow quests to be discovered in a more organic way by removing the icon button that signifies that there is a side quest to be started
  • Cut the fetch and carry type side quests (e.g. find herbs x, y, z)
  • Add more event-style quests (e.g. duck race, Fangmei's birthday)
Battle system
  • Add a dedicated parry/dodge button and throw moves
  • I'd personally like a slower battle system than the one we got in Shenmue 3. Most of my fights ended in about 15 seconds.
  • Opponents that actually have a unique fighting style. I fought against a boxer, a Muy Thai expert, mantis dagger fist, etc and yet I'd hardly know it. This is probably why Chai was a QTE fight, I don't think they'd have been able to capture his fighting style accurately (slipping under your legs, leaping on your back, etc). He'd just inch forward, throw out a kick/punch that you'd wait for and punish.
Training
  • Maybe allow moves to level up faster when you use them on real opponents

I know people won’t like this, but I would keep the stamina system BUT I would make it so it doesn’t drain no matter what you do. Or make it that the more you build your endurance the longer it lasts.

I'm relatively certain it does last longer with better endurance leveling. NO way I could run so much farther and more in Niaowu than Bailu without the endurance being a factor. From level 13ish your health bar depletes slower in fights and also slower in FREE.

I'm relatively certain it does last longer with better endurance leveling. NO way I could run so much farther and more in Niaowu than Bailu without the endurance being a factor. From level 13ish your health bar depletes slower in fights and also slower in FREE.

Yep, it most definitely does last longer. I’ve grown to like the whole stamina/eating system. It’s a major part of the connective tissue and makes buying food and working for money etc, more meaningful.

I would be disappointed if they removed it.

Keep: Everything but the stamina system.

Add: Interactions with other fighters and unique styles. I loved how each of the fighters you came up against had their own short introduction scene. It really helped give the illusion that they each had their own fighting styles and personalities. When all was did and done though, this ended up being quite superficial as the fights all felt the same to me (aside from some power sliders being tweaked depending on their level). I’d love it if each character had their own move set (these wouldn’t have to be unique moves, more a combination of some of the moves already available in the game) and perhaps a handful of them could have one unique move that could be learned from them after besting them in combat.

So few moves are taught to Ryo in this game and even those that aren’t purchased from stores are usually given to Ryo in the form of skill books. I really miss the scenes where masters talked you through the steps as it felt like Ryo was learning organically rather than artificially. I know we got two (well, technically one), but it didn’t feel like enough.

Moreover, all the capsule toys are visible in the inventory, no matter if you own them or not. So the pleasure of earning the said items is half spoiled. Not to mention the very limited zoom or the inability to rotate the item when it is on Ryo's hand.
Yeah, I did find this a bit silly. The HD versions of S1 and 2 had the right idea, with shadows of each toy that were only revealed once you got it (this allowing you to keep track of what you’ve got and what you need, while still retaining surprise)
It was cool however how the toys had more of a purpose, to get skill books from certain sets etc. Just hoping for more interesting sets in S4! I did like the S1/2 chibis and the arcade cabinets though. But there really should have been toys based on the Chobu Chan fighters too...

Back