Who actually likes shenmue 3?

Oh yeah, I liked the new "Jump" functionality, which allows you to jump in time and place at will at certain points.

Man, after putting in about 60-70 hours, I can honestly say I effing loved this game. I wanted to keep doing side quests and soak in all the detail just so it wouldn't end and there is still so much I still haven't done or seen. I enjoyed it to the point that when it ended I immediately logged into Epic just to buy it on PC (which is well optimized and beautiful BTW).

It's possible that the fans are simply the biggest critics but was a bit bummed out when I started reading some of the negative threads on the board. The concerns are/were definitely valid but I guess certain things didn't bother me as much as it did others.

I mean I would have played S3 on a toaster oven if I had to but I think the same can be said for quite a few members here.

Some things I liked:

1. Landscape of Bailu Village was stunning.
2. Combat. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did.
3. Forklift job. I initially didn't enjoy it because the track was so narrow and I would always crash but I got better until I was consistently transporting seven or eight cargo a shift. My personal best is nine in one shift.
4. Wood-cutting job. It was fun and quite tricky getting a 'very good', I can count on one hand the number of times I got an 'excellent'.
4. Fishing. It doesn't really count as a job I don't think but this was my favourite way of making money. The biggest fish I caught was 6633g.
5. QTE title 2. I had fun with this. It was more challenging than I had anticipated. Within seconds there was a feint, what the hell?!
6. Horse-stance, rooster-stance and one-inch punch. Took a while to master each. I think there were ten levels for each stage and there were seven stages.

5. QTE title 2. I had fun with this. It was more challenging than I had anticipated. Within seconds there was a feint, what the hell?!

Yeah the feints definitely appeared sooner in this than the previous games, kept me on my toes.

i found Shenmue III to be one of my faovurite gaming experience of this generation, I understand that it is underwhelming on the narrative & overall plot but I will say that the Gameplay aspects are spot on.

1. Mini-Games:

By far the best selection of mini-games, honestly while I liked the inclusion of the SEGA games in prior titles... I'm simply not good at them so never really bothered with them much but I really enjoyed the wide variaty of Mini-games on offer in Shenmue III. Jobs we're also very similar to the Mini-games I really had fun Fishing & Chopping wood and even got really into Duck-chasing later on - Yes it is a re-skin of the Chicken Chasing segement, but at least it acts as a method to make the event available later on, really didn't mind it.

2. Training:
I found the training to be so much better in Shenmue III, Inever liked Shenmue 1's Parking Lot, where you just spam the same moves over and over - I liked actually being able to spar this time and found myself doing this on a daily basis. I also liked how training also included mini-games, I'm glad they included the Rooster Steps for Niaowu because it kept that structure fresh.

3. Combat:
I really dug the combat system! Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep is one of my favourite action-RPG's and being able to cycle through preset moves reminded me of this system I would use a couple moves outside the auto-assign, but found cycling through them for the right moment to be a really fun way to play the game.

4. The Locations:

I liked both main locations in the game, I hear a lot of people talking down on Niaowu for the lack of NPC's appeaing, but this never bothered me whilst playing the game - I actually found talking to all the shop owners to be really fun! But both locations looked stunning and were much bigger than anticipated.

5. Talking to Shenhua in Bailu:
I loved these segments, it was something I always hoped for ever since arriving at Shenhua's house in Shenmue II, so I'm grateful the game allowed us time to see Shenhua & Ryo get to know each other more.

6. Lan Di:
I know a lot of people didn't like the Fortress, I was half and half on it, but the one feature they did get right was the 1st battel with Lan Di & not even being able to land a hit on him. I know I've said this a few times around the forum but the shred of relief I felt when I saw Lan Di blocking everything I threw at him was the highlight of the game for me. I'm so glad they didn't be-little Lan Di and showed that he is not a push-over.

Reactions: Dan
I absolutely loved it. As I said in another thread, within minutes of taking my first steps through the village square in Bailu, I could feel the magic that I had not felt in a game since playing the original games back on the Dreamcast. I knew I was playing a Shenmue game. Shenmue 3 had all the elements that make Shenmue then unique experience that it is. Not only that, but its systems built upon those of the previous games, especially the money system. Personally, I like the stamina system. It really makes working and earning money feel nescicerry, unlike Shenmue 1 where it was simply for pleasure and Shenmue 2 where they added two instances where you needed to earn 500HKD. I also loved the locations, especially Bailu. It was really different from any of the other main locations in the previous games (excluding the first part of Guilin in Shenmue 2). The training system and the combat we're also really well done I thought. Unlike the first two games, the techniques are easier to pull off and so I find myself actually using them, thunder palm being one of my particular favourites, instead of just mindlessly button bashing. The only issue I have with it is the lack of a dodge button. Being able to block is great, but in group situations, not being able to dodge out of the way of the guy that's just come behind you is a pain.

All that being said, the game does have its flaws in the story and character development areas. While the exchanges between Ryo and Shenhua in Bailu are excellent and really help develop the characters and their relationship, this is unfortunately not continued in Chubou. The secondary characters also lack fleshing out, especially in Chubou. I think everyone else has covered the issues with the story to death over multiple threads, so I will not go into it except to say that I would dearly have loved to have seen more of Niao Sun interacting with Ryo and Shenhua. She could have become a real friend to them, helped them out in situations and even had some sidequests. Hell, if she had become someone that they really trusted and actually learned about the Phoenix mirror from them, it could have been a heartbreaking moment when she finally betrays them and reveals who she actually is.

I would also like to praise the development team for releasing a game with so few bugs. In this current climate, so many games big AAA games are being released either riddled with bugs or just downright broken. In fact, it is almost becoming a prerequisite for a AAA to be released in such a state and for the 'day one' players to pay for the privilege of actting as the play testers.

Finally, I would just like to say that Shenmue 3 is a miricale game. Yes it's not perfect, but the fact that it even exists and was able to be created on a shoestring budget is just amazing. My hope is that with the groundwork now done and a lot of assets in place, Yu-san is in a much stronger position to go and make Shenmue IV and will be able to implement a lot of the great features he dreamed up for III, but could not implement. I for one cannot wait for an announcement regarding Shenmue IV and for the game itself. Just please, Yu-san, don't leave us waiting another 18 years to experience the magic that is unique to a new Shenmue game.

I liked :

-the environments, especially the rice fields and the green areas with flowers, butterflies...At night it's wow.

-how you can have your own style to deal with the economic system. For ex, I did not catch any fish, I fished once in Bailu but did not do it again.

-The way Ryo and Shenhua learn to know each other.

-Shenhua's character. She is a real waifu : cute, naive and sometimes surprising (what the hell did she do to that thug to make him talk ? Lol)

- Some of the funny moments inspired by Chinese/HK movies.

-The fighting system : the fights are tactical and look more dynamic than in the previous games. Too bad that the throws were not implemented.

-Training with wooden dummies and sparing with/fighting the monks. I liked the way they are introduced with this short video before the fight starts.

-Looking for the Chobu-chans.

-The fight against Lan Di. This guy is such a badass !

-Niao Sun is a very promising character. I liked the plot twist about her being around in Niaowu since the very begining. Some say it is inconsistent because Ryo does not know her. But imo it makes sense according to this character's description She must have been seen with Red Snakes before by folks in Niaowu. So she needed to change her look. She is into manipulation and must be paranoid herself, so it definitely makes sense !

Last edited:
For all of Shenmue III's faults, I still like the game. A lot. There's a lot of dipshits in here lately that have said some complete nonsense towards Yu Suzuki and even calling for the jobs of Corey Marshall, "abandoning" the series after playing the game. If you're not in it for the long haul, then it's best to jump off ship now.

What I loved about Shenmue III was the amount of content that was packed in the gameplay aspect. I think that's where a lot of the budget went to and honestly I'm glad it did. I feel like any gamer who has aspirations of being in E-Sports (especially fighting games) needs to play Shenmue III (the whole series in general) as it's minigames are designed in a way that makes your reflexes much sharper and teaches you patience. In terms of minigames and content, this is by far the best Shenmue ever.

Getting to know Shenhua was one of the most satisfying aspects of Shenmue III by far. The long buildup from Shenmue I to now to me was very satisfying. I hope there are more segments in future Shenmue games where Ryo and Shenhua continue to build rapport with one another and see their relationship blossom.

After 18 years I was hoping I'd get more out of the story and I'm still very appalled at how slow paced this game was for the sake of extending the play time. But with the budget constraints it's understandable even still I'm not happy about it.

What I liked about Shenmue III the most is that it's is unapologetically Shenmue. I think that's what Suzuki meant when he said that it would be a "hardcore" Shenmue game.

Personally I would have rather had a 15-20 hour Shenmue III that had less minigames and fetch quests, but fleshed out the characters and got to about 60% of the story than what we got. But on the flip side, there is a lot that can be built upon the Shenmue Unreal Engine now that it's intact. With next generation coming next year, I'm hoping that Yu Suzuki has a PS5 Dev Kit already and learning how to best utilize it for Shenmue IV. I hope it has a similar pace to II in regards to the story.

With some of these people here up in arms over this game, even going as far as to personally insult the creator of the game. The Yu Suzuki redemption arc is getting quite interesting to say the least. Anyways, we made it out the cave and we need to focus on walking across the Great Wall of China.

The more I sit on my thoughts about Shenmue III, it's made my anticipation for Shenmue IV grow stronger by the day.

It was decent. I don't see myself playing through it damn near 10 times like I have the others, but I will likely give it another playthrough in Japanese. S3 felt like too much of a chore

I beat the buff guy in the Red Snakes hideout for a second time. The game generated another cut scene of me automatically losing again. I wish I knew this would happen again I wasted my Snake Power drinks. Those shits are expensive smfh.

Now that I've had some time to process...I actually do kind of love it even with the misgivings I have. I honestly think that a lot of the disappointment is down to overblown expectations in what we were gonna get story wise. I'm not gonna sit here and say it's a home run in story telling, because there are issues with it...but at the same time, I don't think it's as bad as my initial reaction may have been.

Looking back on it, it confirms a lot of things that we kinda deduced for ourselves. For instance, that photo of Iwao and Lan Di's Father. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ryo never showed anyone that photo in II, right? I don't remember him showing the photo in II. Even though we had deduced it was probably Iwao and Lan Di's father a long time ago, it was never actually confirmed until III. Yes, Yuanda Zhu mentioned they were friends in II but I'm talking about the photo itself. Which brings me to my point, a lot of the things we had deduced over the years of waiting were confirmed in III...therefore it maybe didn't hold as much weight to us because we so obviously had already deduced a lot of it.

I look at III as basically confirmation of some of the vauge clues that Zhu gave us at the end of II. We now know for a fact that the Mirrors were crafted for Royalty and for the purpose of protecting their treasure. We now know that the man in photo was indeed Lan Di's father. We now that the Chi You Men raised Lan Di after his father died (which plants a seed of did they manipulate him). The thing is that a lot of what it confirms are things we already deduced for ourselves in the years of waiting. So that's where I think some of the impact was lacking.

As for the Niao Sun twist. I look at it in two ways. The first is it is underdeveloped. They don't really do enough with it to earn that moment of "Oh shit, it was her all along!"...but on the other hand, I think the thing they were trying to go for was to play with expectations.

I think they were expecting us to believe that it was Lan Di who hired the Red Snakes to capture Yuan considering he hired Dou Niu to capture Yuanda Zhu. But in fact it was actually Niao Sun who hired them. I think that was also supposed to be apart of the "gotcha" moment, but again, it isn't really earned either.

That said, I loved the introduction of Niao Sun and can't wait to see more of her...even if I think the Twist iinvolving her s under developed.

The final hour doesn't quite hold the same weight as ascending the Yellow Head Building. But I still really enjoyed that final showdown between Lan Di and Ryo...I even enjoyed the comedic relief...I laughed when Ren landed that guy with one swift kick to the face...I'm not above admitting I laughed at that.

For me, the disappointment wasn't with story...it was just more so with character development. None of these characters held the same weight for me that someone like Xiuying did. I found them comedical at times. I actually did like Master Sun because he reminds so much of Shun Di and I thought he was kind of charming in his own right. I actually kind of liked that he wasn't a wise deep thinker, rather he was just a drunk looking for a drink and a quick feed.

But I felt Master Feng was underdeveloped and could have held more weight. I really wish they did more with him.

For me, the heart and soul of the game is between Ryo and Shenhua though. I can't stress how much I loved engaging in those nightly conversations with her. Even though most of it was just banal chit chat at times...there was something so fresh to me about just sitting down (or standing up) and having a chat in a video game with another protagonist...that and it did expose a side of Ryo that we have never seen before...and I really quite liked that.

The story does what it needs to do to set up what could be an all out epic Shenmue IV...considering it leaves our protags on their way to the Chi You Men HQ, I think that's where we will start to meet characters like Xiuying's brother and the other leaders of the group. I think that's where things will get action oriented.

The more I think about III and the more I remove myself from my own expectations, the more I kind of like it for what it is...It's not perfect by any means, but I don't think it's as bad as some are making it out to be either. The worst I can say about it is that some of the characters are too underdeveloped and therefore some plot points go unearned. That and it double downs on a lot of what we already deduced over the years...so therefore the impact feels lessened.

But overall, I absolutely loved the 45 to 50 hours I put into it first run. I just wish the final hour had been stronger than it was.

Last edited:
Thinking on it further, why I think I'm not coming down so hard on this game despite the clunkiness in the second half, ultimately comes down to the big 3 of Ryo, Ren and Shenhua. I think moreso than the story or revelations I just really wanted to see these characters again. And not only did I see them again they FELT like who they were in Shenmue II and they interacted with Ryo the way I hoped they would and they were fun, particularly Ren. Sometimes its just about the journey and who tags along with you, and that's what I got.

I absolutely love it so far. I’m shocked by how quickly it clicked. At first I was a bit worried. I didn’t like that I wasn’t able to walk out of the cave. Little dumb things like that seemed to start building.

But once I got into the groove of making money and familiarity. It felt like Shenmue. That’s all that matters. I’m honestly amazed by this game. I can’t wait for the weekend so I can dive back in. I’m more than happy to take my time with this.

So many people not liking this game in this thread.
It's a shame if we ever get 4.
Not a lot of positive things gets discussed here, It's always a negative thread after negative thread.
For myself, I loved everything about it and the ending.....everything felt shenmue.
I don't want closure and wasn't expecting any in 3, I want the story to drag on, and i want everything to make sense in the last instalment if it gets released at this pace.

Last edited:
Everybody should go back and read your posts as it's mind boggling to me the posts and negativity the threads are saying.
I want to doubt about half of what was posted it was regretted.

Its funny cause the way you 'true' shenmue fans behave will be the ones that won't allow us to get any more instalments.

This is the only place where a few of us discuss as we feel is the greatest series ever but half of you nit pick everything even though this was on a budget.

I liked it but the combat was shit.
I loved it but the ending was shit.
I enjoyed it but it had too much grinding.

Lets try and stay positive because this is a continuation of a brilliant game we wont ever see again.
For those who finished the game, did you happen to read 'The story continues' ?

Last edited:
Overall I liked it and would probably give it a 7/10. (For reference, S1 would probably be an 8.0, S2 a 9.5-10)

I won't go into the cons to keep with the spirit of this thread ;)

+Bailu and Niaowu are beautiful locations and this is the most I've enjoyed exploring in a Shenmue game.
+I enjoyed that the minigames were designed to have easy interactions and quick feedback. Chopping wood was probably my favorite Shenmue job.
+The nightly recaps with Shenhua were the highlight of the game, IMO.
+Agree with jump functionality being a positive. Would have loved fast travel in Niaowu.
+I liked the idea of sparring and training. I'm on the fence about the "RPGization" of all of this, but can accept it with better tuning in S4.
+Enjoyed the Chobu-chan hunt wayyyyyyyyy more than I thought I would.
+I liked how there was more incentive to visit the shops. I felt I knew more shop locations than S1 and S2 because of this. Some of the collection mechanics went a bit overboard in Niaowu but I hope they can be tuned in S4.

It's an excellent game; I merely think it has some crucial flaws with regard to the story. So to speak, I'd say its flaws primarily concern omission, not commission. What it does, it does very well.

Bailu feels extremely well balanced, a tightly knit community with the right amount of depth, characters, and plot.
Niaowu has a remarkable amount of depth and content to engage. Though I beat the game ASAP to avoid plot spoilers, I'm amazed by the amount of depth fellow dojo folk are discovering in the game.
The graphics are delightful; I love the rain effects in particular.

To that end, again: what is present is brilliantly in tune with Shenmue; it's as if we stepped right back in in 2003 or so. It's not the game I wanted, but I like it. I trust what Yu intended here, and he provided that as best he could. To that end, it's certainly no shot in the dark. It is a good game.

(Also, I'd add that there's a difference between being critical-- noting authentic weaknesses-- and being negative-- denying the present good. To say someone isn't a true Shenmue fan because they dislike the game is rotten reasoning.)

Back