Who actually likes shenmue 3?

“We” don’t have to do anything. Speak for yourself I loved the game. You don’t get to speak for anyone. And just because you “feel” that other people just like the game because of some sort of nostalgia-denial doesn’t make it real.
This, so much this. Opinions are fine but it doesn't speak for the wider community. From what I can tell most like the game even with the flaws discussed.

I haven't completed the game yet, but im very much enjoying it. Im surprised to see so many people criticize the story, as for me that's never been my priority while playing through Shenmue. Its always been about the setting, atmosphere the game creates, and the quirky characters and things to do. Its why Shenmue 1 is my favourite game of all time. Dobuita and the Harbour are two incredible areas. Filled with atmosphere and details.

This game lives up to that by and large, although its not perfect. Niaowu has to many samey shops, it has to many lucky hit stands and capsule machines, and it doesn't need two large arcades. It almost makes it feel like it was solely built for the player, rather then a living breathing town.

Balui is far better, but I even take small issues with this. I don't think a small out of the way village really needs a fortune teller, and all those gambling places.

I also really struggle with how long it can take NPCs and other stuff to load into the gameworld. It actually feels worse at times for me then prior games.

I enjoy how slow paced the game is. I enjoy the stamina system, although its not perfect. I love the new jobs, and the variety of things to do.

I also really like the combat. It feels more simplistic and streamlined, but I like how it incorporates sparring and training.

I give it a 7.5/10 after thinking about it for a few days. When I do play again in the future, it will be the PC version.

I mean when playing it, I had these mixed feelings the whole time, and now I understand why. It had to do with the lack of interactions and conversation with the characters you meet. Even with Shenhua, sometime in Bailiu, you stop having conversations with her every night. You don't have much interaction with her when you make it to the second town as well. That is what bothered me a bit. I would of had 15 unique conversations in Bailu and in Niaowu you could of had with her. I would have that if it means sacrificing a mini-game or two or make the game even smaller as I was expecting the game to be as small as the first game or a bit bigger than that when this was annonced in 2015 as I thought it was going to take place in the village the whole time. If connections with characters like her were better, that would had worked out for me despite the ending. The ending wasn't my concern, it was just that.

I didn't realize that this game didn't even have much story around this time after thinking about it which is odd since I figured the series strong point was the story. This time, it was rushed yet at the same time, it felt like progressing it was more of a drag to hide the fact that their isn't much progress this time with the overall plot. Shenmue I was a slower paced game, but it didn't feel like it was dragged out to me. It felt organic. I would had rather it had been story driven than give us all of those side things to do.

Other than that, the game is what you expect out of Shenmue and more things to do, but one thing I didn't like is how the Stamina system is tied to running which made it frustrating along with having for me to stockpile a ton of garlic. I had up to 250+ pieces near the end of the game. I didn't like how you had to earn tons of money to even get through the game, but at least it get negated with some tricks like gambling then saving, and the book trading trick for that one skill book which nets you a lot of money when you sell a ton of them. I wish that one outfit I want wasn't super expensive though, but whatever. Combat was pretty stiff too, but you do get used to it, I mean I did right away, but still had to learn how to dodge which solved many problems for me.

Besides the negatives, it was a good game for what it is. It felt very Shenmue which was a good thing. I like how this game addressed a problem with the first two and that was the lack of sparring and how move progression was too slow. It fixed those things, but I didn't like how raising your attack power was tied to learning new moves though.

I personally liked it flaws aside, but sacrificing story and character interaction for all of that side stuff and other distractions was an odd route to take to me. I would have want a smaller world and just as much side activates as the second game in it's place if that was what was going to take. I think what happened was that all of those things were planned, but they realize it was too late as having all of those things in one was going to take more money and time, so that is when cuts were made.

This game was so light on story. Everything else game system wise was really good considering the budget; but Jesus.. character interactions and story was 100% on the back burner. all those interesting looking characters (Shrine Maiden, Grandmaster Bei etc..) we saw in trailers and screenshots get about 5-10 minutes of screen time across the whole game.. nothing like in past games where they would come and go and be involved at multiple points throughout the game. and then they join you on the final mission like you are all best buddies...

.. I enjoyed the game and considering its budget and the fact it was kickstarted I'm impressed what they managed to squeeze in game system wise.. but damn.. those new characters were totally wasted :(

As someone relatively new to the series(played it for my first time with the remaster on PS4) I have to say that overall I enjoyed it and have very few complaints...though there are a couple things in between I’m unsure of.

1 didn’t have a ton of important stuff going on, but it had the job of introducing everything about Ryo and the characters and world around him.

2 expanded a lot and had a ton of stuff happening and very clear arcs.

3, even though it is very similar, still feels different in a way that’s hard to pin down. Certainly less and certainly much slower, and while I get the idea, it doesn’t mean it’s not kind of absurd that both arcs are almost exactly the same sort of deal. Bailu was one thing, the overall pacing with meeting Shenhua and getting to know her and her village in contrast to Ryo taking a deliberately slow pace after all the action in Hong Kong. It made sense to have Ryo try to learn some here.

But then Niaowu comes along, and at first it’s alright, with Shenhua getting a taste of bigger city life herself (of which I think we really should have gotten more of), and a new bigger thug is unbeatable, and Ryo has to learn a ultimate super power move that is almost exactly the same as the one mguffin before. The way they talked about this guys style, I was expecting at least for Ryo to have to learn a new style himself instead of relying on just one very specific tactic. And that’s to say nothing of how ridiculous it is to look for other martial artists, start asking around town to get on a wild chase that leads back to the exact same dojo and master, without stopping to say “I’ve already tried there” to any of the NPCs. There’s a certain point where it goes past annoying and believable.

But as I said, that’s just one of few nitpicks, though that one is more major.

At first the stamina was annoying, but after maxing our health it wasn’t too bad, and doing things like working with the forklift gave plenty of funds and thus having to buy food just added a layer of depth and planning to each day. Of course, I wouldn’t really mind if stamina was gone either; perhaps Ryo just wouldn’t hit as hard or something if hungry, rather than having it drain health.

I like it enough to accept it with true happiness. It wasnt a story powerhouse but I am grateful for Yu making this game. I can see they poured thousands of hours into this. I am happy to hear Ryo again maybe for the last time. I am hoping for some enjoyable DLC content

As someone relatively new to the series(played it for my first time with the remaster on PS4) I have to say that overall I enjoyed it and have very few complaints...though there are a couple things in between I’m unsure of.

1 didn’t have a ton of important stuff going on, but it had the job of introducing everything about Ryo and the characters and world around him.

2 expanded a lot and had a ton of stuff happening and very clear arcs.

3, even though it is very similar, still feels different in a way that’s hard to pin down. Certainly less and certainly much slower, and while I get the idea, it doesn’t mean it’s not kind of absurd that both arcs are almost exactly the same sort of deal. Bailu was one thing, the overall pacing with meeting Shenhua and getting to know her and her village in contrast to Ryo taking a deliberately slow pace after all the action in Hong Kong. It made sense to have Ryo try to learn some here.

But then Niaowu comes along, and at first it’s alright, with Shenhua getting a taste of bigger city life herself (of which I think we really should have gotten more of), and a new bigger thug is unbeatable, and Ryo has to learn a ultimate super power move that is almost exactly the same as the one mguffin before. The way they talked about this guys style, I was expecting at least for Ryo to have to learn a new style himself instead of relying on just one very specific tactic. And that’s to say nothing of how ridiculous it is to look for other martial artists, start asking around town to get on a wild chase that leads back to the exact same dojo and master, without stopping to say “I’ve already tried there” to any of the NPCs. There’s a certain point where it goes past annoying and believable.

But as I said, that’s just one of few nitpicks, though that one is more major.

At first the stamina was annoying, but after maxing our health it wasn’t too bad, and doing things like working with the forklift gave plenty of funds and thus having to buy food just added a layer of depth and planning to each day. Of course, I wouldn’t really mind if stamina was gone either; perhaps Ryo just wouldn’t hit as hard or something if hungry, rather than having it drain health.

its really nice to see new Shenmue fans!

it makes me happy to know these remasters got new people to experience the game.

Back