Would you be happy if the game was released early to backers?

Would you be happy if the game was released early to backers?

• Yes

Votes: 63 74.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Don’t care / Undecided

Votes: 17 20.0%

• Total voters

Benwahwah

Disciple of Hokuto
With some of the UK backers having their addresses locked in, and the possibility that this may lead to early deliveries for backers it got me thinking about how I feel about it.

There is one part of me that wants the game as soon as possible. Plus, being in Thailand, if the game is released really early I stand a good chance of getting it by release day. Plus there is the fact that it would be a nice treat for the people that put their faith in the game at the Kickstarter stage to be rewarded.

But there is another part that is not so keen on the idea.

Firstly, the issue of possible bugs and a day 1 patch not being available.
Secondly, the increased chance of spoilers. For me personally this isn’t too much of an issue, I don’t care about spoilers, but I don’t like the idea of other people’s experience being tarnished because of it.
Finally, there is a very good choice that PC gamers and digital version PS4 gamers would not be able to access the content early. Thereby making it highly unfair.

Anyway, where do you stand on this? I’m interested to know.

It sounds like it's going to be the exact same deal as Bloodstained, which was also handled by Fangamer, so I don't think backers will get it particularly early. My copy of Bloodstained was shipped on the Friday before release and arrived on Monday, just one day early for the Tuesday release.

To answer the question, I don't really care if backers get the game a bit early. Retail copies will arrive early for many customers too.

It sounds like it's going to be the exact same deal as Bloodstained, which was also handled by Fangamer, so I don't think backers will get it particularly early. My copy of Bloodstained was shipped on the Friday before release and arrived on Monday, just one day early for the Tuesday release.

To answer the question, I don't really care if backers get the game a bit early. Retail copies will arrive early for many customers too.
I'd second this. Some retailers in the UK are rapid at getting stuff out. I had the Shenmue re-releases on the Saturday before release, same with Judgement.

If it came early great but I'd be shocked if most of us didn't get a copy, kickstarter or retail early.

If it were possible then hell yeah! I'm chomping at the bit to play III as is so a chance to play it early would be something I would relish. I doubt that would happen, but it would be awesome if it showed up on door steps a week early or something.

Not arsed tbh. If you lot get it early though, great. If anyone deserves a copy ahead of time, it's the idiots who thought that tweeting a hashtag every month would get a game developed.
Amen. I think shenmue community should be very thankful for this small but vocal minority who kept the word shenmue alive for the longest time, without an assurance that any new development would actually happen. Amazing how dedicated some of you were.

Sure, but only because it means getting to play it earlier than November 19th. Seeing as backers being given access to the full game earlier than non-backers was never one of the reward tiers of the Kickstarter, it would be a pretty shitty (albeit well-intentioned) move to pull where the latter group is concerned, and that is the very last thing Ys Net and Deep Silver want to do after the Epic Games Store debacle.

I voted yes, but then I remembered that I don't have a ps4 right now and that my gaming laptop doesn't have a drive (and it's just an epic code that probably unlocks the game the day it's supposed to come up).

I don't mind, hell I'd be happier that backers get their copies earlier than media.

Not bothered. Retail copies will be released early. I wouldn’t be surprised if people have their hands on it end of next week/into the week following in some countries. It’s quite normal to see people having games a week or two before release now.

Okay I do think backers should get it early but, my only concern at this point is a day one patch unlocking later parts of the game and gaining them through an update patch, just if some people do get the game much early then expected, Shipping errors, theft, ect.

For context about this concern
They did this with Kingdom hearts 3 to block out the chance of spoilers getting out and ruining a game that people have waited for several years to play. I just want to see the complete game on my PS4 disc, so I don't care if that means not getting it early because in the long run when the online servers are down and I just want to play the game 20 years later, so I want the full game!

more context
PT is gone, Scott Pilgrim is gone, the Legend of Korra is gone, and the Simpsons arcade for xbox live arcade is gone! you can't get these games unless you have a console with them installed already! The first wave of Kingdom hearts 3 disks are gimped and I believe that later runs are also gimped, but I may be wrong on that, however requiring a patch to gain the true ending of the game is not good. When the online services go down you either have a console that has it installed or you DON'T! and having to mod a console with fan-brew patches although doable is cumbersome

So I would rather not get a copy early assuming a day one patch or a backer early window date would be required to gain access to later parts of the game to avoid spoilers due to backers/leakers pumping out spoilers, for getting a copy earlier then intended Lets hope and pray that this is not the case for the sake of video game preservation.

A Random fear I know, but I could see something like this happening if I was to get the game early I would not want a gimped disk that would need a patch in order to play by the correct date even if that was only a few days early a patch just to play the game is patch I don't want.

Now don't get me wrong patches can be good to remove bugs, glitches ect, but I hate day one patches that contain core game play features and assists because the game should by all means be at the very least be playable to completion without a patch.

Maybe we should have a Shenmue Dojo contest as to who can hold off on playing the S3 the longest after it's released?

I wonder how long anyone could last?

Actually I'll bet there's a few people who will not touch Shenmue 3 until the entire series is released.

The reasoning is actually quite simple.... if you waited 18 years already what's another 8-10 years to wait for Shenmue 4 & 5 to have the complete experience and you can then bing-play ala netflix?

However, if you give into temptation and play Shenmue 3 right away then you'll have ANOTHER cliffhanger to kill yourself over and have to start a wait all over again which might be demoralizing.

Maybe we should have a Shenmue Dojo contest as to who can hold off on playing the S3 the longest after it's released?

I wonder how long anyone could last?

Actually I'll bet there's a few people who will not touch Shenmue 3 until the entire series is released.

The reasoning is actually quite simple.... if you waited 18 years already what's another 8-10 years to wait for Shenmue 4 & 5 to have the complete experience and you can then bing-play ala netflix?

However, if you give into temptation and play Shenmue 3 right away then you'll have ANOTHER cliffhanger to kill yourself over and have to start a wait all over again which might be demoralizing.

I might be able to win that. I'm sure I can wait 0,1 seconds to play it which is more than most can handle

I don't see why not, especially when some Online Retailers tend to ship early and have the game arrive a day or more prior to the release date.I'm not bothered either way but it certainly wouldn't upset me .

Back