Would you have accepted a third delay?

Are you happy with the end product?

Also if Shenmue 3 barely sales well enough to see development of Shenmue 4 we have to prepare for this type of game. Yu Suzuki and company is trying to finish the Shenmue story in its entirety. We are never gonna get Shenmue with a AAA budget again. We as a Shenmue community have to be content with what the budget allows.

The most important thing is to make it to Shenmue 6. I'm happy with these graphics/gameplay mechanics. Just cut some things and improve on some others.

My impressions of the game is they were way behind schedule and had to figure out how to get the game released since they didn't have funding to delay the game further. It just feels like the holes in the story are due to cut content, I think there's no way this was the plan on how they were going to tell the story. That, and the cinematics were rushed as I imagine were some gameplay scenarios.

So, yes, that being said I would have been been happy with a delay for 6-12 months. A lot of cinematics and scripted gameplay moments would generally come closer to the end of development and up until then a lot of the foundational and systemic pieces were being put in place. However, I wasn't a big fan of the cartoony and humorous tone in this game, so that probably wouldn't have changed with the delay.

I enjoyed the game overall but it's tough to swallow because this was the big chance to re-invigorate the franchise. Basically, let everyone know what all the fuss was about with this series. A "second chance to make a first impression", if you will.

To my mind, the final delay was justified: it seems that they were focused on polishing and refining what they could provide, and I'm grateful for that.

Whether due to budget or something else, I doubt another delay would've fixed the problems that others and myself share. Those problems seem less an issue of time.

(Edit for usual trash grammar, and I teach grammar)

Last edited:
I wouldn't have accepted another delay...
But I would've accepted Yu cutting a lot of the non-sense in the game if it meant he could've spent more time on the story.

To my mind, the final delay was justified: it seems that they were focused on polishing and refining what they could provide, and I'm grateful for that.

Whether due to budget or something else, I doubt another delay would've fixed the problems that others and myself share. Those problems seem less an issue a time.

Yeah, I wonder what the August game would have played like!?

The way I see it the horse had already bolted when they delayed from the August release. I think the team had their priorities wrong and focused more on content and gameplay at the expense of scenes and story development, which is why many of us feel underwhelmed with the rushed ending.

Technically, it was delayed three times, right. Initial release date was December 2017, then that got changed to December 2018, then August 27th 2019 and then November 19th 2019.

But anyhow. No, I wouldn't have accepted it, since it wouldn't have made a difference. S3's weaknesses were mostly story- and characters-related. Nothing a better combat system or fancier QTEs could have fixed.

I doubt they had a budget to even delay it again, but at least it could of gone to better optimize the game at least, this game has the worst pop in ive seen in years. I would sometimes run around an area and it would take 10-20 seconds for characters right in front of me to slowly load in alongside their surroundings.

Yeah, it is highly unlikely Deep Silver would have funded another delay. They had already funded the delay to August 2019 and the delay to November 2019.

To echo other people in this thread. I'm not sure it'd have helped. S3's biggest miss was the story and character development. I suspect another delay would've gone to making combat more enjoyable or smoothing of rough edges in the game-world.

I honestly disagree with the thought that a delay wouldn't have helped the story. A ton of cinematics and set-pieces are the last things to be implemented and polished, and it just feels to me like they cut a bunch of them to get the game out on time. Even cinematics that made the final game feel like they're truncated and missing parts of the scene. A delay absolutely could have meant more story content, IMO.

I honestly disagree with the thought that a delay wouldn't have helped the story. A ton of cinematics and set-pieces are the last things to be implemented and polished, and it just feels to me like they cut a bunch of them to get the game out on time. Even cinematics that made the final game feel like they're truncated and missing parts of the scene. A delay absolutely could have meant more story content, IMO.

I'm under the impression that the game was essentially finished come August and they requested the additional time just to tweak and polish what they already had.

I always thought shenmue 2 ending was weird I wanted more but imo should have ended that game after the dou niu fight.

If I recall correctly, Shenmue 2 should have ended after the Dou Niu fight. However, Yu-san really wanted to include Shenhua in the game as she is a very important character in the series and had only featured in a few dream sequences up to that point. Personally, I would rather have had the Guilin portion of Shenmue 2 at the start of 3. Although, given how much he had to cut from 3 already, it's a good thing he did it at the end of 2.

I’d say they’ve proven they can make a quality Shenmue game on a budget, which is kind of an achievement if you think about it. Think of it like a proof of concept. Let’s hope Deep Silver is impressed and let’s them make a sequel.

I’d say they’ve proven they can make a quality Shenmue game on a budget, which is kind of an achievement if you think about it. Think of it like a proof of concept. Let’s hope Deep Silver is impressed and let’s them make a sequel.

The game really achieved a lot in regard to the budget it had indeed.

If we ask ourselves, what makes a Shenmue game, I think most of us would agree that the main story is only a small part of something much bigger. Shenmue was never about running from story point to story point until we get to the end. It is about being able to immerse and lose yourself in its world. If you want to spend a day carrying crates or chopping wood, go ahead. If you'd rather crouch in front of a capsule toy machine until it reaches bed time, that's your choice. To me, that is the core of Shenmue. And for me, Yu-san and the team got that spot on.

Back