Would you have accepted a third delay?

I'm under the impression that the game was essentially finished come August and they requested the additional time just to tweak and polish what they already had.

Yes, which could still mean they cut a bunch of story content to try to hit the August release, then needed 3 months to polish what existed in the game at that point. I was making the argument (to be fair, two posts of mine above) if they had an extra 6-12 months then they could fleshed out the story content. It is what it is, though, and we're talking hypotheticals at this point.

I’d say they’ve proven they can make a quality Shenmue game on a budget, which is kind of an achievement if you think about it. Think of it like a proof of concept. Let’s hope Deep Silver is impressed and let’s them make a sequel.

This is my thought as well. Hoping that a lot of the time was used for building the systems and that Shenmue 4 can be developed quicker with more story content.

If we ask ourselves, what makes a Shenmue game, I think most of us would agree that the main story is only a small part of something much bigger. Shenmue was never about running from story point to story point until we get to the end. It is about being able to immerse and lose yourself in its world. If you want to spend a day carrying crates or chopping wood, go ahead. If you'd rather crouch in front of a capsule toy machine until it reaches bed time, that's your choice. To me, that is the core of Shenmue. And for me, Yu-san and the team got that spot on.

To me, it's half and half. If the story wasn't important, then I don't think there would have been such a huge push over all of these years to get Shenmue 3. Obviously, it would be rough if Shenmue 3 is the last one, but again I'm hoping they can make a much more polished experience with more story content in Shenmue 4.

To me, it's half and half. If the story wasn't important, then I don't think there would have been such a huge push over all of these years to get Shenmue 3. Obviously, it would be rough if Shenmue 3 is the last one, but again I'm hoping they can make a much more polished experience with more story content in Shenmue 4.

I didn't say it wasn't important, I absolutely love the Shenmue story, but unlike a lot of games, Shenmue is so much more than just it's main story. In Shenmue 4, I certainly want there to be more emphasis on the storytelling and the characters, but it can't go too far the other way and cut out the other elements that make it Shenmue.

I didn't say it wasn't important, I absolutely love the Shenmue story, but unlike a lot of games, Shenmue is so much more than just it's main story. In Shenmue 4, I certainly want there to be more emphasis on the storytelling and the characters, but it can't go too far the other way and cut out the other elements that make it Shenmue.

Didn't mean to come across that way, apologies. I just meant that the story was probably the biggest factor in the push to get Shenmue III (social media campaigns, kickstarter backing, etc). Agreed on the point that it was more important to focus on getting the Shenmue gameplay and feel down first.

Back