General RGG Discussion

Look, thats the real Daniel!

Wait, i thought australian men have long curly blond model hair
and are always wearing beach shorts and flip flops

K640_HgNvBY8DutfG5YOQEP6D3YpY4gbMJrb44x3nPeg3RZM small.png

Wait, you mean your real name isn't Bruce?

Yes, the ElGato is what I use and it is glorious!

Mine is 6 years old though, so I'm not sure if it's the same one you have.

Wait, you mean your real name isn't Bruce?

Yes, the ElGato is what I use and it is glorious!

Mine is 6 years old though, so I'm not sure if it's the same one you have.

I just bought the Elgato HD60s...seems to do the job fine for PS4. Also have a blue yeti for the mic and just a standard Logitech web cam (nothing special or fancy there)

Now that I seemingly have this running fine and the audio levels seem fine I can do more down the line :)

I want to do Shenmue at some point (I want to platinum Shenmue III so maybe I’ll do it when I go for that)

I also want to do The Last of Us 2 next month. Among others

but yeah, Yakuza 4 felt like a good place to start. Will play some more later this afternoon. (If all goes well at the doctors and he doesn’t send me to the hospital this morning)

I finished Kiwami 2 a couple nights ago (well, the main story). Yknow, I ended up enjoying it quite a bit, but I really feel like Kiwami 1 gets a bum rap that it doesn’t deserve. Playing them back to back, I saw many areas where Kiwami 1 is actually the superior game. I kind of listed those already so I won’t go over it all again. The biggest thing for me was the combat; it just feels too simplified compared to Kiwami 1. I also thought the sub stories in Kiwami 1 were a bit funnier and more interesting than Kiwami 2’s. But Kiwami 2 has the Clan Creator and Cabaret, so I suppose it’s a draw.

The story in Kiwami 2 is really ridiculous. My wife was asking for a recap and I felt ridiculous once I started trying to explain it. The last couple boss fights were also a big disappointment for me. The challenge level just wasn’t there. I expected more of a bang from the final battle.

still a great game and I craved playing more Yakuza afterwards, but I decided to avoid potential burnout and go for Okami before I proceed to Yakuza 3.

Last edited:
I didn’t realize I was taking so much from Kiryu’s design for this. :p I guess it’s because I’m hoping Yakuza 7 gets stateside sooner than later. Not sure how I’ll make this guy different or if it’s ok as is.

41050107-343E-4EFD-81FD-77DEC1AFF19E.jpeg

Started Yakuza 4 during the weekend. So far Episode 3 or so, still only character used is Akiyama. I like the character and you can feel that he belongs to Kamurocho. I am liking it, but not sure about the 4 character thing, the subway/rooftop and that it is only Kamurocho based. One thing I really hate about it that you can play pachinko games, I hate them.

Here's my experience with the Yakuza series so far:
  • Played Y1 on PS2 around release -- loved it, despite some shonky-ass combat. Probably an 8/10
  • Picked up Y2 on PS2 day 1 -- it was even better than the first, but I put it down before the end and it took me several years before I went back and beat it. Still, an 8.5/10
  • I bought Y3 long before I owned a PS3 but once I did I played it straight away. Unfortunately this felt like a low point for me. The overarching plot was just boring, and I ended up watching the last few chapters on YouTube. 6/10
  • I've played approx. 40% of Y4, and I really liked the characters and story. However, it still suffers from "just more of the same" which makes me far less compelled to stick with it, which is why I dropped off
And I own the rest but haven't played them yet :whistle:

I played some Yakuza 5 today, like the first 3 hours,
went into that pachinko place ... how the hell does this game work?
You can control the speed of the balls but i have no idea whats good or bad, i couldnt tell at all what i'm supposed to to.
I got some random treasure chests that i opened, no idea what that was about
and in the middle of the screen were Virtua Fighter characters with different numbers
and sometimes a little fighting scene started ... but i have no idea if i had any control
or if its just gambling / luck. Does this have anything to do with the speed of the balls or something else
or is this whole thing just random luck and i can put the controller aside?

Pachislot is still a mystery to me too.

I'm sure if I read the rules and/or watched a tutorial like I did with Shogi/Mahjong, I'd pick it up in no time...

But yeah, I'm baffled at the concept behind Pachi-Slot (straight-up Pachinko, I believe is supposed to be like Lucky Hit).

I love the taxi driving missions, its a cool fleshed out minigame and the car handling feels pretty good.
Reminds me of the taxi missions in Mafia 1, where the police will stop you if you ignore the traffic lights,
if you are driving too fast or if you have an accident.
I wish there would be more routes or districts, or like a route thats more in a rural area.
Or to sum it up - i would love a Yakuza game where you have like for example the Yakuza 3, 5 and 7 maps
but they are all connected with some small highway road segments or whatever
and you can use a car or train to move around.
So you are at the Morning Glory Orphanage but the mission is in Ryukyu and you can drive there manually.
It could be skippable if you want to jump straight to the mission starting point.
Not GTA style (no stunts or car theft), but with normal traffic rules. Pretty much just for immersion.
They dont have to rebuild the real life areas in 1:1 size, more like a miniature world.
There are not many games where you can drive around in a virtual Japan.

Yakuza 4 Episode 4, still with Akiyama. I don't want to advance the story because beside Akiyama I think that the other 2 characters will be shitty and I think that Kiryu will be the last one to join the party. I have observed in the Trophy LIst that there is a fishing trophy, but not sure where it will be. Also don't know how to unlock all the karaoke and all the Sega games...

I should play something different since after 4 and 5 I will be over the whole saga, but this shit is so fucking adictive...

Saejima takes a bit of getting used to (fighting-wise), but I LOVE his style and it's a great style for crowd control.

Tanimura is all about reversals and counters, with a bit of kicking; he's flashy, but I don't like a single thread of that character's existence.

When it comes to actual characterization and their role in the plot, Saejima is done flawlessly, IMO, easily the best plot in the entire game (even if a bit farfetched, at the very least his character comes out as a shining star). Tanimura, OTOH, is shoehorned to basically be the main protagonist and, like Sayama, is a whiny little baby (but he doesn't cry at least).

I skipped Yakuza 4 for now because that Tanimura character looks so generic and boring to me to be honest.
I dont know what it is, his whole design looks like some super basic character editor preset.
But after Yakuza 5 and 7, 4 will be the only game that i didnt play, so i will catch up on it later.

I just started playing as Saejima in Yakuza 4 and, like Akiyama, I have a new appreciation for him. While I wish there were a bit more to Akiyama’s fighting style, I really dig Saejima’s. I hated it when I first played years ago, but I think revisiting these titles after seeing the evolution of the series REALLY helps you appreciate them more.

Back