General RGG Discussion

The more Yakuzas I play, the more miffed I get that so many people were down on Yakuza 6's story when it first came out. Its nowhere near eye rolling like some of these middle entries.

Those who played Y7, how is the story for that one?
I am mid Yakuza 4 and so far Kiryu story in Yakuza 6 is one of the best in my opinion, we can discuss about hte over the top stuff behind the plot, but as character development it is great.

So far, 1 level left to upgrade Saejima. I think that the problem with his that "beast" mode was great to damage control when fighting severa enemies but Seajime is super weak in this area. When you go to Coliseum and fight 1:1 is not that bad. Also I have completed all of his substories, but I think I will skip the dojo thing, I don't like that we have 2 comparision stats minigames in Y4

I think I was one of the detractors of Yakuza 6’s story when it first came out. My issues were with the “big secret” and the ending. Now having played 2 through 5 practically back-to-back-to-back, I can say that 6 is probably one of the strongest. Hell, I just started 6 again yesterday, got through the first chapter, and I already like it more than the mess that 5 was.

The more Yakuzas I play, the more miffed I get that so many people were down on Yakuza 6's story when it first came out. Its nowhere near eye rolling like some of these middle entries.

Those who played Y7, how is the story for that one?

Borderline phenomenal; there were just a few small things (I'm talking the tiniest of plotholes/issues) and one big, "WTF?!" that came out of nowhere, but didn't really make sense, nor did the characters' complete lack of reaction to it.

Ichiban is beyond lovable and the rest of the cast is fantastic. The connections and plot twists are well-done and not ridiculous or unbelievable and overall, you come away more-than satisfied.

Plot-wise, I put it in the top 7 or so (haven't really thought about it), in the series; the rest of the game however, combined with the plot, makes it the best game in the series to date, IMO (and I even like Beat-'em-Ups more than RPGs!).

Let's put it this way; I platinumed 6 and 7; they absolutely are the two easiest games in the series to platinum, but that speaks more to how balanced and well-made it is, unlike the earlier titles that turned into massive fetch/score quests and, "complete every minigame to its fullest."

Absolutely worth a day 1 pickup and I can't wait for the next game in the series (though I will say, I'm not sure how they can figure a story that would work, for a sequel)...

Not to break the ongoing narrative, but a stray comment from someone who more or less broke his Yakuza virginity with 0 and is in the honeymoon phase (I'm assured marriage troubles are coming with later games):

a. This is addictive as hell, and I love how the unlocking of aspects comes almost like feeding an infant. You may think you're ready for solid foods, but you're getting in over your head. It's great game design, and it teaches it in the right manner: explore; learn what will be useful henceforth; explore more if you want, but balance it all with the story.

b. This is so banal to say on this forum, but, if you'll indulge my early gameplay confirmations (perhaps betrayed in time): I think I intuited the differences between Shenmue/Yakuza, but I didn't know just how shallow the the series comparisons were. I grasped the cosmetic, but mercy me...

(A toast to you, @Truck_1_0_1_ for encouraging me to hop in with 0: I can see some hints of names/little inside jokes are in the air-- the groundwork, that is. Wise guidance, yours; grazie mille! We'll see if "grazie infinite" applies in time.)

Many thanks, Nige'! :D

Indeed; once you're playing 2/Kiwami 2 (and 1/Kiwami, of course), you will have seen a TON of in-jokes and nods, I love it when devs/writers/creators create a continuity that sets things up for future games down the road (of which 6, 7 and Judge Eyes also have ;)).

So, Yakuza 4 completed, but I will unlock some more trophies (I don't think to platinum it)

Over all, it is a good game with a solid gameplay but it is a worse experience than 3. Only Kamurcho games are boring, but the roof and underground areas add nothing to the game, they are empty and lifeless as hell. The Akiyama and Saejima stories are cool, but the main plot is meh. So far I think that what I like about Yakuza is the character development and how they interact with each other, but the main plots are always a little bit too much.

I will reserve Yakuza 5 until fall due to potential Covid Lockdown 2, but so far I am still liking a lot this saga. That said I think unless 5 is really really really really great my favourite one will remain 6

Glad to hear you enjoyed 4 overall. And you’re smart for taking a break before 5. You’re gonna need it.

I’m on chapter 5 or 6 in Yakuza 6 now. I haven’t touched the game since I beat it when it first came out (turns out I lost all my data when my previous PS4 died, so I had to start the game from scratch). I’m enjoying this so much more than my first run, especially the story. Playing through all the ups and downs in the individual stories in the entire saga really gave me a new appreciation for this game. And I don’t know how I overlooked this one major detail involving the Iwami thing the first time, but I just got to a story beat that COMPLETELY changed one of the biggest issues I had with the story overall: I didn’t know the Iwami guys were actually Yakuza! This whole time I thought they were just some big business guys that figured into the story so randomly that I couldn’t wrap my head around as to why they were involved in the first place. This rectifies almost every negative thought I had about the game. I feel so stupid for missing it in the first place.

Other than that and being used to the Dragon Engine now, I think the game is just great all-around. I love the Hiroshima setting, even if there isn’t much to do there outside of the story and side-quests. The characters are all fantastic, especially the Hirose crew (it’s great how the voice actors for Rikiya and Kanda from 3 come back as actual characters this time). It feels a lot like Yakuza 3 in some aspects, which I really like. I think at this point, I gotta put this in my top 3, right behind Kiwami 2 and 0. I’m so glad I decided to give 6 another shot, especially considering I got that huge useless collector’s edition.

Last edited:
6 really is a special game; such a fitting end to Kiryu's story, I love the mature and different angle they went with the main plot and again, that Secret of Onomichi... just absolutely perfect in a setting such as this, with the ramifications and stakes being completely realistic.

Brilliant performance by Kitano as well and Ed is one of my favourite villains of the series (if not for the fact that his look is almost completely different from any prior villain with a large stake in the plot/game).

I miss playing it.

You know, when Kitano was first teased as a character in 6, I was really hoping they’d go with a character more along the lines of the ones he played in his Yakuza/cop films (intimidating and dangerous while barely speaking a word). Hell, I’d even hoped that the studio would adopt a little of his film directing style in the cutscenes for 6. But after actually seeing him in the game, I’m so happy with direction of his character. It seems to encapsulate Kitano’s entire personality (I LOVED the goofy wrestling bit he has with his crew). He was kind of like an older version of his Kikujiro character. It really showed how much respect and admiration the developers had for Kitano.

Yakuza 5 was a plodding mess for me. I was excited at first to play it because it took a strong social media push to get Sega to release it in the US. But as I went through the game, it quickly became filler to me and I started to get the sense that the series was jumping the shark.

Thankfully 6 was a much better game and I feel like is one of the top 3 games in the series.

Love seeing the love Y6 is getting. It's a testament to the writing that they would dare not include many of the fan favorite characters
like Majima, Daigo, and Saejima
and replacing them with likeable ones like Nagumo and Yuta.

My only gripe is the final boss and some parts of the ending. Other than that Y6 is a great experience.

It really is a great experience. I’m on chapter 8 now, and I’m loving it more and more the longer I play. I think it’s the small things about the storytelling that impress me the most. When the secret of Onomichi is first brought up, Kiryu flat out says he doesn’t care because it has nothing to do with his goal. Or how Yuta asks what “Heihaizi” means when Kiryu mentions the term, only to have Kiryu explain it to him in a convincing manner without having to rehash anything. Small things like that really sort of close the holes in the narrative for me, and I feel that the previous games would always glaze over how characters discover or react to new story points. For someone who had bad memories of the story, enough to prevent me from doing a second play through in the first place, I’m very happy to find things like this. The in-game semi-cutscenes are SO much more bearable to watch too, even compared to Kiwami 2.

The english version of Yakuza (7) Like A Dragon
already has a official PEGI, ESRB, German USK and Australian rating
(18, 17+ 18, 18)

So it cant be that far away? Still absolute zero information about a PS5 version or patch,
only Xbox Series X enhanced

Been loving Judgment through the first three chapters. The fourth had me somewhat bored until the ending... still loving the game so far. How many chapters are there...?

Yeah, most of the Yakuza games have been rated M and so on, so not surprised with 7. Hopefully, we should get news in the coming days. Already beat the Japanese version but my brother is dying to get the international version ASAP. I would like to see a Judgment 2 on how it follows up to 7. I'd like to see it take place in Yokohama as well.

Been loving Judgment through the first three chapters. The fourth had me somewhat bored until the ending... still loving the game so far. How many chapters are there...?

IIRC, there are 13 chapters, but I may be wrong.

IIRC, there are 13 chapters, but I may be wrong.
thank you--good to know. I snatched the game on PSN June sale (cannot recall if they've always been every month or they're particularly EXTRA great since march due to quarantines) was unable to resist beginning to play! Had planned to play Yakuza 1+2 on PS2 beforehand, then Yakuza 0 afterward. Now I'll play Judgement half through until chapter 6; two originals and Zero; finish Judgment.

So Microsoft paid Sega to release a enhanced version on Xbox Series X first,
or they paid to delay a enhanced version for PS5.
Pretty weird considering the Yakuza hype (with 0 and 1) came with Playstation
and all of the studio games until now were timed PS4 exclusives.

Back