*Your* overall impressions?

Of note--you can tell from Yu's comments that he and the small team have really struggled mightily to bring his vision to life.

Resurrecting this game took a tremendous effort, so it seems by the E3 build that they really do need that extra time. They may need more time than that..and on that note....

I'm also of the mindset that it will sell what it will sell--placing it amidst AAAs really doesn't matter that much. It has it's fans and not much will alter or add to that, bar a few. It can be pushed into 2020 and I don't think it'll suffer much.

But seeing the videos I have to wonder if Yu should have focused on a tighter game with less npcs, rather than trying to make a proper Shenmue game with like half the required budget.

I very much agree with this. Looking at the gameplay videos it seems Ys Net have stretched themselves too thin. I would have preferred 50 more realistic NPC’s than 300 which have little expression and no daily routines. The daily routines made Dobuita feel like a living community and made me fall in love with this series. I read that many of these new NPC’s cannot be spoken to either. This just makes me sad, but I know it’s all due to budget constraints.

On the plus side the environments look fantastic. I look forward to exploring them.

Back