Yu visiting China?

Bonus - Chinese version of the Gamescom trailer with one distinct difference:

The second shot of this trailer has been removed (fishermen on the rafts in Choubu) and replaced with a longer version of the opening shot (Shenhua in the cave). Nothing huge, but was surprised to see anything changed about the video besides the subtitles.

Triple post, but I took some screencaps of the slightly extended/clean opening shot. Compressed to shit between stream, Youtube, Youtube downloader, jpg compression, and again through being uploaded online - so a lot of fine detail is being washed out I'd expect.

Really like how Shenhua looks though.

sequence01.00_00_05_1nwc3d.jpg

sequence01.00_00_06_16jd0w.jpg

sequence01.00_00_06_2evipt.jpg

sequence01.00_00_07_24pd0w.jpg

And this final one where you can see Ryo creepin' into frame. Pretty sure this part wasn't intended to be seen as he's not properly lit, but for whatever reason made it in due to removing the second shot.

sequence01.00_00_08_1txesw.jpg

Yes Shenhua really looks good. Also like her new Japanese Voice actress a lot. Haruka Terui seems to do a good job.

Also intersting to learn about the small differences in the Trailer.

Shenhua is pretty much spot on now and from what I can tell of Ryo he's looking good too.

Shenhua's voice is great and not too dissimilar to her original one.

A Chinese release is incredible news! That's a massive market to tap into and will definitely boost sales numbers by a considerable amount.

Last edited:
Is that a different Ryo model than the one used in the rest of the trailer, or just better lighting/angle? I like it more. Not that we can see much of it.

Is that a different Ryo model than the one used in the rest of the trailer, or just better lighting/angle? I like it more. Not that we can see much of it.
Would go out on a limb and say same model. I think 99% of what we perceive as a different or improved model (other than the obvious Gamescom '17 to '18 jump), is really just down to lighting and the angle.

Either way it matches the facial geometry you see in the other cave scene with Ryo:

shenmueiii-theprophecckd5n.jpg

Which also looks like Ryo stepping off the boat:

shenmueiii-theprophecydfa1.jpg

Bonus - I noticed this a while back when the Gamescom trailer first came out, but a single frame of Ryo is hidden in the fade from black transition before the shot where the old man takes his martial arts pose:

shenmueiii-theprophecigfgy.jpg

Did as much in post to bring the image back, but obviously there's only so much you can do. Still, if some of you want to pretend Shenmue III is coming to the Gameboy Advance...

Q: We know that Mr. Suzuki Yu has been to China many times. Have you been to Xiamen before? (Xiamen is the venue for this event)

A: This is not the first time I came to Xiamen.
I came to Xiamen three or four years ago.At that time, it was also for Shenmue 3.
At that time, I went to a Fujian tulou(福建土楼/円桂楼), which is a kind of ancient Fujian architecture that looks like a rocket launching base.

Q: What is the current development progress of Shenmue 3?

A: Shenmue 3 is now developing smoothly, and the Japanese version has been basically completed. (In the original words, I don't know if this means that the Japanese version of the dialogue recording has been basically completed, or the Japanese version of the complete game has been basically completed.)
We are doing English voice recording,the Chinese localization and other work, these are all in smooth development.

The game animator of the Shenmue series, Mr. Takeuchi added:
Shenmue 3's graphics will be really beautiful, so please stay tuned.

Q: Shenmue was a game project that was so large that it was incredible.
Why did Mr. Suzuki Yu consider the stage of Shenmue's first chapter follow-up story in China?
Does this choice have any special meaning for you?

A: Before I made the Shenmue series, I had been to China many times when I was making the Virtua Fighter series, mainly for the local Chinese traditional martial arts.
At that time, I interviewed many Chinese martial artists and learned a lot of Chinese boxing techniques. For example, monkey boxing 猴拳, water boxing 水拳 and other methods of bionics on animal movements, I have also been to Shaolin Temple 少林寺.
During this period, the Chinese people were very enthusiastic, and I learned a lot about China's history, culture, and customs. This makes me very passionate about China.

Mr. Takeuchi added:
I have worked with Mr. Suzuki for almost 30 years. Among the Japanese game developers I know, Mr. Suzuki is the one who knows the most about China.

Q: We know that Mr. Suzuki has established a profound friendship with many Chinese martial artists during his time in China for Chinese martial arts, such as Bajiquan master Wu Lianzhi(吴连枝).
So, do you still have contact with these martial arts friends?

A: Wu Lianzhi is one of the best friends in my martial arts friends.
Wu also opened a Bajiquan dojo in Japan called the Kaimon Kensha(開門拳社).
As the mentor to the Dojo, Wu comes to Japan twice a year.
Every time he comes to Japan, we will gather together to eat and drink Baijiu (Baijiu 白酒 is a kind of Chinese spirits, some Baijiu's alcohol will be higher than 50%).

Q: Who can drink more?

A: Of course, Mr. Wu is obviously more able to drink.

Q: Shenmue is a pioneer in open world games.
Now many popular games are open world games, so what do you think of the open world?

A: Shenmue 1 was very focused on restoring the details of real life. I think it is to reproduce some details in life.
When I was making Shenmue 1, the games at the time generally had only one theme or one game method.
My idea is to allow players to experience multiple elements in the same game, and the main character can make a variety of choices.
Most of the current 3A games are open world games, which makes me feel that my work in the past is worth it.

Q: You released Shenmue 3 on the E3 in 2015, and we still clearly remember that we all burst into tears at the time.
The Shenmue series has a very deep meaning for you. Why have you decided to restart the production of Shenmue 3 after so many years?

A: After the completion of Shenmue 2, about 5 years, many fans contacted me by mail, phone and other means to say that they want to play sequels.
I was also upset during this time, and conditions such as copyright licensing and budget were not realistic.
But the players are very enthusiastic, and the enthusiasm of the players touched me.
Some fans say that even if Shenmue2's sequel is not a game, it is ok to tell the whole story in the form of a novel or manga.
There are also fans who mentioned that we can consider reviving this series in the form of crowdfunding, and then we launched crowdfunding on kickstarter.
Our initial plan was just to make a small game. After that, the crowdfunding of the fans was very strong. Sony and Deep Silver also helped, so it gradually developed into the current scale.
If all goes well, everyone will soon be able to play Shenmue 3.
Thank you! (Mandarin)

[This part is the Shenmue 3 trailer with Chinese subtitles]

Q: Why did you choose the WeGame platform to release the official Chinese PC version of Shenmue 3?

A: We know that WeGame is China's largest platform for publishing PC games. Their experience and practical cases are very rich. Thanks to WeGame.

Q: Before that, you already have a lot of Chinese fans, so what do you expect from the Chinese market and fans?

A: I hope to have more interaction with Chinese fans.
I have always liked the history and culture of China and China. I have done all the things I want to convey to Chinese fans.
Now we are working with the Chinese localization team and hope to bring the game to everyone as soon as possible.

Q: So how is the progress of Chinese localization of Shenmue 3?

A: The Chinese version of the localization work is handled by WeGame.
WeGame has a very professional Chinese localization team. They have also done a lot of Chinese localization work for overseas games.
I am very much looking forward to their ability to provide a high quality version of Shenmue 3 in Chinese.

Mr. Takeuchi added:
In fact, in the Japanese game industry, WeGame's Chinese localization work has always had a good reputation, and we all trust the quality of their work.

(In my opinion, from the Chinese subtitles of the Chinese subtitles version of the Shenmue 3 trailer, the quality of the Chinese translation of the WeGame team can be said to be very good. I also look forward to the Chinese version of Shenmue 3 Give a good localized gaming experience to Chinese fans like me.)

Q: By the way, you have been introducing cutting-edge advanced technology in the game industry.
For example, in the 1980s, you made the world's first somatosensory arcade game system, and the 3D graphics games.
So what do you think about the relationship between the advanced technology and the game making the game?

A: Good games don't have to have very advanced technology.
For example, in cooking, some dishes look plain but delicious, and some dishes use a variety of advanced techniques, and they can do the same.
Providing more choices and allowing players to play anything is actually better.
In fact, each producer's game production concept might be different.
My personal opinion is that 50% is technology and 50% is gameplay. I always hope to balance the two elements in the production process of each game.

Mr. Takeuchi added:
As far as I know, achieve a 50% technical and 50% gameplay balance in game production can only be done by Mr. Suzuki.
Many years ago, Michael Jackson and Steven Spielberg said that they are very fond of Suzuki Yu's game work. They also asked Mr. Suzuki Yu how to make games so good.

Q: The last question, the current game industry is very popular to reproduce classic games.
Mr. Suzuki has so many classic game titles. If there is a chance to reproduce, which one will you choose?

A: I am a person who has been pursuing new things.
Instead of doing a remastered version of the old game, I just want to make new games for everyone.

Last edited:
Great job with the translation!

A: Shenmue 3 is now developing smoothly, and the Japanese version has been basically completed. (In the original words, I don't know if this means that the Japanese version of the dialogue recording has been basically completed, or the Japanese version of the complete game has been basically completed.)
Yu's original words are that the "Japanese text" is now pretty much completed, which is also slightly ambiguous; he may be referring to the the completion of the dialogue script for the game perhaps.

In my opinion, from the Chinese subtitles of the Chinese subtitles version of the Shenmue 3 trailer, the quality of the Chinese translation of the WeGame team can be said to be very good. I also look forward to the Chinese version of Shenmue 3 Give a good localized gaming experience to Chinese fans like me.
That's good to hear.

I think it's fantastic that S3 will be well-supported in the Chinese market. I think having this playerbase on board will really help ensure the future of the series.

I really hope everyone will be able to play 3, even those of us who didn’t have the means to back but have been waiting for it and hope it does still go to US retailers with the song and deep silver backing.

It'd be difficult to not sell more than a million copies now that Shenmue 3 will be released in china too.

I have a good feeling about Shenmue this time and I'm sure we will see the release of Shenmue 4/5. This is the right time.

Back