Random Gaming Thoughts

I'm pretty sure everyone here on the forum would agree that the Shenmue soundtrack is brilliant, but there are some many other brilliant gaming soundtracks. Is it even possible to narrow it down to 5? Or 10? I don't think so.🙃

I'm not sure if this deserved its own thread, but a new Monster World game was announced today that will star Asha from Monster World IV! It's called "Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World" (to add to the series of confusing game titles) and will come out on PS4/Switch next year.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ng-for-new-series-entry-asha-in-monster-world
Oh my god, what? That is crazy! I don't know if I can handle all of these revivals that I had deemed impossible for so many years. I will buy this instantly. No questions asked. I just need to know when they'll allow me to throw my money at them.

This year is like an absurdist caricature at this point. I'm not really sure what I'm living through anymore.

Oh my god, what? That is crazy! I don't know if I can handle all of these revivals that I had deemed impossible for so many years. I will buy this instantly. No questions asked. I just need to know when they'll allow me to throw my money at them.

This year is like an absurdist caricature at this point. I'm not really sure what I'm living through anymore.

Hopefully more publishers are realizing that a lot of older games are good! I'm reading there's a trailer and gameplay reveal at Gamescom this Friday at 11:30 am PST. Also - The Dragon's Trap Remake and Monster Boy release are on sale on PSN ($7.99 and $15.99, respectively)

They've announced a Resident Evil Netflix series:

The Netflix series will tell its new story across two timelines. In the first, 14-year-old sisters Jade and Billie Wesker are moved to New Raccoon City. A manufactured, corporate town, forced on them right as adolescence is in full swing. But the more time they spend there, the more they come to realize that the town is more than it seems and their father may be concealing dark secrets. Secrets that could destroy the world. The second, more than a decade into the future sees less than 15 million people left on Earth. And more than 6 billion monsters — people and animals infected with the T-virus. Jade, now 30, struggles to survive in this new world, while the secrets from her past—about her sister, her father and herself—continue to haunt her.

What gets me is that they state it focuses on Weskers kids in Racoon City Jade & BilIie...
Isn't Jake Muller revealed to be Weskers son?
I don't know the ins and outs of RE Lore but I know RE6 isn't very respected - Yet I hope they don't disregard it completely - I'm guessing not as in the RE8 trailer Chris looks identical to his appearance in RE6.

Reactions: red
Ugh, why can't people make other media as close to 1:1 as possible? Why does everyone have to add in their OWN characters, their OWN motivations, etc.

Is it really so hard to make it take place in a mansion, with 5 main characters and CGI (since practical effects no longer are done) for the BoW?

That's why MK is still considered to be the best Videogame film; it is the closest of all the films, to the source material.

Ugh, why can't people make other media as close to 1:1 as possible? Why does everyone have to add in their OWN characters, their OWN motivations, etc.

Is it really so hard to make it take place in a mansion, with 5 main characters and CGI (since practical effects no longer are done) for the BoW?

That's why MK is still considered to be the best Videogame film; it is the closest of all the films, to the source material.
Seriously. I've recently been forced to watch many Sonic cartoons, etc. and I now understand why every Sonic game is stuffed to the gills with random goofy characters. It's like Sega let the shows and comic books dictate what happens in the games now. I won't be surprised if you have to do "Donut Lord" missions in the next Sonic game.

That said, I'm down with Mighty and Ray in Sonic Mania. They're cool. They're from the arcade game anyway. right?

Mighty was in Chaotix. Ray, I'm not sure.

Mighty is awesome to use in Chaotix; my team was usually Knux and him or Knux and Espio. Charmy is the best, but he has a game-breaking bug (no pun intended), IIRC.

Ah, there they are. Can't believe that never came out in the West. It always looked so fun.

Ugh, why can't people make other media as close to 1:1 as possible? Why does everyone have to add in their OWN characters, their OWN motivations, etc?

First, it's to expand the source material outside the fanbase to general audiences. Investors want their investment to pay off handsomely faithfulness to the source material be damned. The second reason has to do with artists wanting to have artistic freedom to put their own creative spin on an established property. Sometimes this can actually pay off and expand the lore or refresh a stagnant property. Third, it's actually hard for an artist to capture the same magic of the original work without coming across as redundant.

Following up on the third point, why should one watch a movie that is literally just the game's story? The work literally has no identity of its own with the same strengths and weaknesses of the original. Finally, adapting media to different formats is difficult as they all have their own ways of doing things. You can be more expository in literature then films for example.

All that being said, I agree with you about adapting properties faithfully. The reason a work becomes popular in the first place is because of its original prose. And there are talented and passionate authors out there who do love to recreate someone else's original work. It's just that there are many variables at play.

Last edited:
Just gonna bring up both the Mario and Sonic movies as examples. One was highly successful, the other is seen as shit. There’s a very obvious difference between the two...

To be honest, the one thing I DON'T want from a movie based on a game is a carbon copy of the game. The recent Tomb Raider film did this and had no form of identity or value what so ever.

One film I will always defend is the Silent Hill film! I don't know why people rag on it so much. It had decent acting, a fresh spin on the story, brilliant effects and production value - especially the transition sequences. I honestly think it's a great film. Yet everyone seems to trash it, much like the sequel which IS garbage. I see it as an adaptation of the material rather than being canon with the games lore and it's really enjoyable.

I'm pretty sure everyone here on the forum would agree that the Shenmue soundtrack is brilliant, but there are some many other brilliant gaming soundtracks. Is it even possible to narrow it down to 5? Or 10? I don't think so.🙃

Elder Scrolls games have top soundtracks, as do most FIFA and GTA games. The first Saints Row had some bangers too. And of course there's Jet Set Radio.

Just gonna bring up both the Mario and Sonic movies as examples. One was highly successful, the other is seen as shit. There’s a very obvious difference between the two...

Neither one is 1:1 though, thus it doesn't really count.

The Mario film literally uses the names of characters and roughly their outfits, that's it.

The entire rest of the film isn't even close to any game lol

To be honest, the one thing I DON'T want from a movie based on a game is a carbon copy of the game. The recent Tomb Raider film did this and had no form of identity or value what so ever.

One film I will always defend is the Silent Hill film! I don't know why people rag on it so much. It had decent acting, a fresh spin on the story, brilliant effects and production value - especially the transition sequences. I honestly think it's a great film. Yet everyone seems to trash it, much like the sequel which IS garbage. I see it as an adaptation of the material rather than being canon with the games lore and it's really enjoyable.

I'm not saying Carbon copy, but let's take MK for example:

- Outfits are basically as they are in the games, but there are slight alterations to the non-Ninjas looks; it works and doesn't detract from anything (Sonya is the only one that is egregiously different and Johnny Cage has a shirt).
- Setting(s) ripped directly from the game, but they don't look exactly as they do in-game (the island, backrooms, dungeon, Outworld, etc.). Adding the real-life locations for where the characters are introduced, works well too.
- Plot is IDENTICAL to the game, save for Chan Kang's name being changed from Chow.
- Sound effects are also identical (Ed Boon's voice for Scorpion) and the music is somewhat similar, albeit more techno-oriented than the games, but VG music and electronica have always gone hand in hand with each other

These things are elements that we can see, grasp and hear from the games themselves, thus we identify and relate the film to the game, the closer they are. Going off of @Tsukuyomimagi99's post, the areas to add the filmmakers' own artistic direction, can be seen in the following:

- Who fights who; in the game, you can go through the Kombatants in any order with anyone, thus if they feel Johnny was best to dispatch Scorpion and Goro, they can do it that way (which they did). Sonya never gets Kano in the early games, but since in the games storyline, his fate is muddled, it's not a big deal (unlike MK:A where they DO change multiple characters stories around and it adds to the confusion and BS)
- Original supporting characters; this is feel is the strongest point of the film, in terms of going off in its own artistic direction:
- Only 4 have lines (Liu Kang's grandfather, Art Lean, Master Boyd, the Director) and only Art's extend beyond one scene (and in the 2nd speaking scene, he only says, "What the...?)."
- None of them overshadow the main characters or even get considered a main character.
- They never interfere or meddle with the main characters.
- There aren't 50,000 of them.
- Minor, insignificant things, such as Reptile being made of bugs (which I still don't really understand lol) and changing the spear to a creature. While these aren't in the original games, they don't really mar the lore or plot of anything.

Compare it to say, Resident Evil (also direct by Paul W.S. Anderson), which has none of the settings correct, the main characters being supporting and not in every film and the plot being almost 100% different, there's a reason why none of those films are universally well-liked and not considered good films.

I still contend that Final Fight would make an excellent film and it is INCREDIBLY easy to do a 1:1

TL;DR: make more films like MK and less like RE.

Last edited:
So "Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World" is actually a 2.5D remake of Monster World IV (which IGN keeps calling Wonder Boy IV). Unfortunately, I don't think it looks great and I think something hand drawn in 2D would've been a better choice (like Monster Boy and The Dragon's Trap remake). Looks like there's some slowdown as well in this footage.

So "Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World" is actually a 2.5D remake of Monster World IV (which IGN keeps calling Wonder Boy IV). Unfortunately, I don't think it looks great and I think something hand drawn in 2D would've been a better choice (like Monster Boy and The Dragon's Trap remake). Looks like there's some slowdown as well in this footage.

Oof! Well, Monster World IV is one of my favorite games, but if it's not going to be on PC, it doesn't really matter. If this is sort of a pilot run for something new in the future, then that would be cool.

I am pretty sad now that it's actually a kind of iffy looking remake of MWIV, though. I blame Eurogamer for this disappointment.

I am pretty sad now that it's actually a kind of iffy looking remake of MWIV, though. I blame Eurogamer for this disappointment.

To be fair, I linked Eurogamer but IGN first reported the story. I just didn't link them originially because they kept calling it Wonder Boy IV and I was being stupidly petty, haha.

I don't have an issue that it's a remake instead of a sequel, just that 2.5D games can look really bland if not done correctly. Something as colorful as this game should be 2D, and other Wonder Boy remakes/spiritual successors have shown how great it can look. I mean, look how much better Monster Boy looks! (Don't mind the cheesy music)

Elder Scrolls games have top soundtracks, as do most FIFA and GTA games. The first Saints Row had some bangers too. And of course there's Jet Set Radio.
Apart from the Shenmue soundtracks that are absolutely the best; I also love the ones from the Elder Scrolls games specially the one from Oblivion my second favourite video game of all times right after Shenmue. I also love the Witcher soundtracks specially Witcher 2 and Deus X, Mass Effect, kingdom Come Deliverance and most recently Ghost of Tsushima. Another amazing soundtrack that i've listened recently is from a game that I wich to play in the near future called Outward.

Back