Shenmue HD reviews and discussion

Some of the best studios in the business still release buggy games. The fact this release is buggy doesn't mean d3t are incompetent or lack the skills to do it properly. It's more than likely that they just needed some extra time that SEGA couldn't give them.

That's what I've been saying for a couple days. :)

I remember a place in Hong Kong where you can go in and there’s an item but when you walk out the way is blocked permanently. Does anyone remember where that is? I can’t find it or any info about it.

I remember a place in Hong Kong where you can go in and there’s an item but when you walk out the way is blocked permanently. Does anyone remember where that is? I can’t find it or any info about it.

Pretty sure you have to complete some tasks first to get in there. Anyway, it's next to the Pawn Shop near the Come Over Guest House, there's a path next to it and three wooden planks nailed into the hidden doorway, once they're gone you can get in. Forget if it's related to the events in the story and at a certain point you can get in there or if there's something particular you have to do. Sure someone here currently playing or with better memory can tell you.

Well look at that -- a second patch released on PC within 11 days of release, fixing almost all the major bugs. It's almost as if they know what they're doing ;) and are working hard and fast to do right by the fans :coffee:

You can almost guarantee this will be the patch to hit consoles once it's been tested thoroughly.

I'm sure it's on their to-do list, but they've clearly went for top priority stuff -- fixing the cutscenes, moves training, glitchy UI etc.

Shenmue 2 is unplayable due to the horrible music unless your a masochist so it is certainly top priority.
There's a limit to what you can achieve in a week and a half. They were never going to fix everything in this patch, and from a UX perspective, broken cutscenes, broken training and broken UI impact the user more than out-of-tune music.

There's a limit to what you can achieve in a week and a half. They were never going to fix everything in this patch, and from a UX perspective, broken cutscenes, broken training and broken UI impact the user more than out-of-tune music.
I can accept the bugs to a certain extent but Shenmue 2 should not have been released with such a distorted soundtrack. They had months to get the music right not a week and a half. It is not even a bug since every version has it. Had the music in Shenmue 2 been the same as Shenmue 1 in fidelity to the original I would not be complaining and would have accepted the ports.

Guangyan, I agree with you. I understand bugs, but this release is riddled with them and some of them are things as blatant as QTE Excite being unwinnable because the game doesn’t register a certain input. You’re telling me they couldn’t have caught something THAT obvious pre-release?

Guangyan, I agree with you. I understand bugs, but this release is riddled with them and some of them are things as blatant as QTE Excite being unwinnable because the game doesn’t register a certain input. You’re telling me they couldn’t have caught something THAT obvious pre-release?
Your right. My anger over the music in Shenmue 2 is making me forget the vast failings in other areas of the port. The whole thing is one giant mess really.

We all know the issues with the port -- they've been covered ad nauseum ever since the pre-launch streams. I guess my point is, you can either stay angry that it launched like this, because that's never going to change, or you can be happy they're actually fixing it quickly. I have sympathy for the devs so I choose the latter.

We all know the issues with the port -- they've been covered ad nauseum ever since the pre-launch streams. I guess my point is, you can either stay angry that it launched like this, because that's never going to change, or you can be happy they're actually fixing it quickly. I have sympathy for the devs so I choose the latter.
I have no desire to have a vendetta against them. As soon as they fix the bugs and the music I will gladly accept the ports. It's just a shame after so much waiting that there had to be this trouble. It is Sega I will not forgive for rushing it. It is clear now dt3 were under a lot of pressure. We all would have been happy to wait a few months for a smooth bug free launch. If they are trying to fix the bugs including the botched music in Shenmue 2 than I wish them all the best. I just hope I won't be posting in a few months time my anger that the music in Shenmue 2 is still the same.

I just finished the first game and didn't encounter major game breaking bugs. Of course I noticed audio issues, some clipping, the moves list issue etc.
I'm sure that the developer is also aware though. When you're working on this daily it's hard not to. The problem is how corporations work. Quite often, developers would like to work more on something but aren't allowed to. I've seen this myself in corporate settings and while working independently (other fields). Sometimes you wanted to go on to improve the end result but couldn't due to business decisions or hard deadlines.

TBH I'm starting to wonder how valid the claims are that this isn't emulation... I don't know much about this stuff but a lot of the glitches we're seeing are the very same glitches I see when using emulation... not only the sounds issues but the clipping like when ryo is holding the sword and when the jacket hits the floor before sparring...
The way in which audio sounds incorrect reminded me of emulation. For example while driving to the harbor. Some notes slowed down during one part and then sped up again to catch up. Such synchronization issues are more common in software compared to running it on hardware. Also, on DC emulation forums, people mention crackling which is also present here. Working with audio, this shows up during playback when the CPU starts struggling to keep up in realtime (low buffer size for audio drivers is CPU intensive).

Could it be that certain parts needed to be emulated though? The Dreamcast did have a dedicated sound processing unit with hardware decompression, XG MIDI, DSP for chorus, reverb, pitch change, ... On PS4, not much is known about audio processing (except that it's part of an APU I think) but I doubt that it has built in MIDI since there's no real need for it. Bluray discs have enough capacity for regular audio. So there would be no hardware to use in this case. And the DSP is different which could mean different reverb, pitch etc. within the game. Just guessing of course.

Does anyone know why it takes so long for the USA sales to come out? I'm just intrigued

Seems completely shutting off my PS4 and turning it on again has solved some issues. I guess leaving Shenmue open in the background OR putting the PS4 in sleep mode causes some issues? Still doesn’t seem right.

Back