Any word on the when the console patch (XB1 & PS4) is coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear the move training is still completely broken on the PC, even with a patch... That shit just isn't gonna fly.

I know this is super disheartening and frustrating guys - but I honestly think Sega's going as fast as they can. It's an artificial delay caused by Microsoft and Sony's approval process, hence how the game got an insta-patch on Steam that fixes most of the issues right now, it's because Steam is much faster at this than consoles. It is somewhat soul-destroying to basically see that if they delayed the release by a few weeks, the releases would have been perfect on launch, but I think Sega's moving as fast as Sonic can run on this one, delayed by the platform holders and their submission/approval processes, more than anything.

The unexpected hurricane of sales right out of the gate (that I'm betting you Sega did not see coming whatsoever) and Shenmue's extremely strong chart performance worldwide is probably sending a strong enough signal as it is that they need to act quickly, so if anything's speeding them up or making this an imperative priority at Sega, it's going to be that.

So it's a waiting game, but if the Steam beta patch is any indication, the games will be remedied entirely very soon.

Not buying it for a second unfortunately. Other multiplatform games that get patches dont take this long. Something is up and there is simply no excuse. We dont know what the future will hold, but if we prepare now the chance the end result is in our favor increases and for that reason alone I think its worth a shot. Alot of our opinion has been based on our own personal expectations and I think those feelings have betrayed us, so we can either keep letting it, or do something about it.

Not buying it for a second unfortunately. Other multiplatform games that get patches dont take this long. Something is up and there is simply no excuse. We dont know what the future will hold, but if we prepare now the chance the end result is in our favor increases and for that reason alone I think its worth a shot. Alot of our opinion has been based on our own personal expectations and I think those feelings have betrayed us, so we can either keep letting it, or do something about it.

I see where you're coming from. A fan-led effort to speak up will inevitably do some good, I mean it was pretty much the overwhelming efforts of fans that conjured Shenmue 3 in to existence in the first place - so I do see your point.

However, as a comparison, We Happy Few released as a broken, technical disaster, that killed sales right out of the gate (the issues were that severe) and a month later, it still doesn't have its first patch (one has been promised to be coming soon, but it hasn't hit yet) and that's a game with way more hype and muscle behind it (Microsoft own the studio) than Shenmue.

Also D3T did already say they're reading "forums" which almost definitely means the Dojo, meaning probably this thread:

Send all of your queries to [email protected] (the USA division) or to another email address found here:
http://www.sega.co.uk/support

It's no use complaining on a fan forum. I've done my bit and sent off an email to them, the rest of the community should do the same. Let them know what issues you are all having that way.

Well, Digital Foundry did one and claimed they are near perfect ports.

LOL A bunch of tubers said they were decent/better then the old versions. A fair few I respected for being "straight" talking and knowing the subject matters.
But that is besides the point it isn't a side by side playthrough by DF just a gloss over.

Right now the port is what it is. Some seem not to mind, while others do. I can take some patience and see what the patches will deliver. While I don't think they will fix all the problems. I do hope they can prove me wrong. In the meantime log them not only for SEGA/d3t but the modders here too who might be able to use that info for the better of Shenmue 1+2.

Last edited:
I'm just hoping they release the patch soon.

I'm hoping for the 3rd that they do it but I can see this tailing out towards the Japanese release.

Yeah, even that tweet is almost a week old now and they havent said anything about the console patches since, which is part of the problem. My main concern is that since November 22nds japanese release is their next hard deadline and they have other work to do for that release... that it could be until around that time period before everything could be working properly, which is insanity.

edit - exactly spud, and thats just not acceptable, feels like they raided our wallets early and then took advantage of us.

Yeah, even that tweet is almost a week old now and they havent said anything about the console patches since, which is part of the problem. My main concern is that since November 22nds japanese release is their next hard deadline and they have other work to do for that release... that it could be until around that time period before everything could be working properly, which is insanity.

edit - exactly spud, and thats just not acceptable, feels like they raided our wallets early and then took advantage of us.

I get where you're coming from, but I'm honestly seeing this as unnecessary panic. The game's been out for 8 days. They released 1.01 on Steam August 23 and promised 1.02 for this week. If that second PC patch does drop this week, that's two quick-fire patches in the space of a week, at least for Steam, with very probably more in the coming days and weeks.

The patch notes for 1.02 I read also indicate it's a big one. I'm getting my info from here by the way (up to date?):

https://steamcommunity.com/app/758330/discussions/0/1735462352488015583/

Again, We Happy Few, a major multiplatform release, hyped to hell and back at various E3s, with Microsoft behind it, still doesn't have a single proper patch a month later, just that one is coming in the "near future" and even later on consoles.

I get the cause for concern, these games should have been released in a decent state on launch, that should have happened, and it didn't, and now there's these escalating reports of issues which the patches can't fix fast enough.

But it's barely been a week. Surely we should wait say, at least another week or so, and then be worried?

I know this is super disheartening and frustrating guys - but I honestly think Sega's going as fast as they can. It's an artificial delay caused by Microsoft and Sony's approval process, hence how the game got an insta-patch on Steam that fixes most of the issues right now, it's because Steam is much faster at this than consoles. It is somewhat soul-destroying to basically see that if they delayed the release by a few weeks, the releases would have been perfect on launch, but I think Sega's moving as fast as Sonic can run on this one, delayed by the platform holders and their submission/approval processes, more than anything.

The unexpected hurricane of sales right out of the gate (that I'm betting you Sega did not see coming whatsoever) and Shenmue's extremely strong chart performance worldwide is probably sending a strong enough signal as it is that they need to act quickly, so if anything's speeding them up or making this an imperative priority at Sega, it's going to be that.

So it's a waiting game, but if the Steam beta patch is any indication, the games will be remedied entirely very soon.
My biggest issue is they aren't telling us anything. No ETA on patch, or even acknowledgement of our concerns in general.

We should prepare for any and all situations, everything about this announcement, release date, and launch has been unexpected, it was only 4 months ago they announced it, it comes out and its a disaster and plagued with bugs and glitche. Something just seems fishy and it all points at SOMETHING. I think it wise to take the side of caution, the tension is only going to build more in the coming weeks if we wait around, at least we can say we did something just in case.

Will the upcoming console patches just be the 1.01 PC patch? will they be up through the 1.02 PC patch since they made us wait? We know nothing, we dont even know what we'll get when they do become available. its not so much us panicing early, as it is just responding to the lack of information which we have no control of, and is shallow on the part of sega and d3t.

LOL A bunch of tubers said they were decent/better then the old versions. A fair few I respected for being "straight" talking and knowing the subject matters.
But that is besides the point it isn't a side by side playthrough by DF just a gloss over.

Right now the port is what it is. Some seem not to mind, while others do. I can take some patience and see what the patches will deliver. While I don't think they will fix all the problems. I do hope they can prove me wrong. In the meantime log them not only for SEGA/d3t but the modders here too who might be able to use that info for the better of Shenmue 1+2.
It's not that we don't mind it, it's just that some have been fortunate enough to have near-flawless experiences. Many of these bugs aren't universal and are quite random. If I like bloom, how am I supposed to notice the notebook glitch? That's not to say that I don't want these issues fixed, but please don't make it seem like we're settling for a bad experience.

They stated the game would be fixed at launch, in which I was 100% correct in being hesitant to believe.

Once again, valid criticisms being dismissed as "whiny moaning". And once again, I just wish people would put their fanboy blinders down and listen to reason...
When did an official Sega source say that it would be fixed at launch? They shouldn't be conflated with fan sources Adam and Team Yu, who spread misinformation.

I’m just waiting for the patch to come so I can continue playing. I thought for sure it’d be here by now. I really really do wish they just let the game cook for a couple months before releasing it to the public like this. But that’s the way gaming is these days, unfortunately.

Hopefully we’ll be getting something soon. My PC is in repair atm, so I haven’t been able to play my steam copy yet. But my friends say it runs great on there rigs, no issues. So that got me a bit hopeful.

I get where you're coming from, but I'm honestly seeing this as unnecessary panic. The game's been out for 8 days. They released 1.01 on Steam August 23 and promised 1.02 for this week. If that second PC patch does drop this week, that's two quick-fire patches in the space of a week, at least for Steam, with very probably more in the coming days and weeks.

Again, We Happy Few, a major multiplatform release, hyped to hell and back at various E3s, with Microsoft behind it, still doesn't have a single proper patch a month later, just that one is coming in the "near future" and even later on consoles.

But it's barely been a week. Surely we should wait say, at least another week or so, and then be worried?

This.

We've waited 18 years for Shenmue III. Surely we can hope our fellow fans can find within themselves a little more patience, maturity, and clear thinking?

Does it suck that these beloved games were not released by perfectionists, from the top to the bottom of the development & publishing hierarchy (between Sega and D3T)?

Hell yes.

Does it make sense to vilify the developers, accuse Sega of conspiring to tank their own game (and investment), or to say they're making a concerted effort to spite Yu Suzuki somehow?

NO. That is counterproductive and silly.

Look at Star Wars Battlefront II. It's a AAA game, out for more than a year, that still has way worse and more numerous bugs than Shenmue (barring the cutscene glitches, which really is truly unacceptable), and half the time they try to fix it, they end up breaking it even worse. Everyone is always screaming to the rafters over there (the forum), and rightly so, because DICE has had countless opportunities to make it right, and has exercised a horribly low degree of skill at responding to communications or keeping fans (who are also consumers) informed.

As was mentioned, Shenmue has been out barely a week, and comes from a company and studio dealing with nowhere near the typical budgets and stature EA/DICE typically has for their projects.

Let's take a step back and put things into perspective. Shenmue is a big deal to a lot of us, and something we love dearly. Much like the delays with S3, I would much rather they take a little more time and get it right (or as right as they can with the 1st patch), the first time....rather try to rush fixes and potentially break it worse, or cause bugs that show up later, after there is no more active development contract or budget to fix them.

If you've never seen a development snafu before, often patching issues resurrects old issues that had been previously fixed. and the more they patch, the more that goes wrong. We already know that it's not releasing in Japan until November, so there's no way that development has been abandoned, so let's wait at least another week or so (especially for consoles because of the patch certification process) before we start up with the torches and pitchforks.

D3T is the only developer we'll ever have, so let's get behind them and try to be positive, as hard as that may be given how badly we want Shenmue to be made whole again.....because they're all we've got.

Personally, I'm hoping that the surprise success of the game will bring us some expanded features, like leaderboards for the minigames and 70 Person Battle......but it would help if the community held their shit together, and maybe offered some appreciation for them getting the game 95% right.

Well, Digital Foundry did one and claimed they are near perfect ports.

I believe there was some sort of embargo type behind the scenes agreement not mention the cutscene glitches, or the reviewer wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt......or they just got extraordinarily lucky.

Last edited:
@Billkwando Not a bad theory on the Digital Foundry video. However, I'm skeptical because he does mention bugs in the video. He talks about the ultra-widescreen bug (that has since been fixed to my knowledge). So, if there was an embargo, I think he would have shied away from that.

I'm glad more people here are finally spouting criticisms of Sega. We've had at least one user serve a full 7-day suspension for bemoaning the lack of a day 1 patch, without any patches arriving during that time. Valid criticisms have been out there for like 3 weeks now and not one thing has been fixed. Hell, I posted months ago that Sega was just making a cash grab and I was heavily chastised.

Stop giving Sega respect and give them hell. Negative PR is going to fix this game way faster than complacency.

@Billkwando Not a bad theory on the Digital Foundry video. However, I'm skeptical because he does mention bugs in the video. He talks about the ultra-widescreen bug (that has since been fixed to my knowledge). So, if there was an embargo, I think he would have shied away from that.

I meant more like a friendly agreement-type "give us a break" embargo. We'll call it an "embrogo". ;)

I'm glad more people here are finally spouting criticisms of Sega. We've had at least one user serve a full 7-day suspension for bemoaning the lack of a day 1 patch, without any patches arriving during that time. Valid criticisms have been out there for like 3 weeks now and not one thing has been fixed. Hell, I posted months ago that Sega was just making a cash grab and I was heavily chastised.

Stop giving Sega respect and give them hell. Negative PR is going to fix this game way faster than complacency.

Bullshit, friend. Sega is doing us a favor by releasing this game. We're not doing them a favor by buying it. Make no mistake, you cannot move a major game corporation by bitching, even if you have these kinds of numbers, which we do not...... All they care about is money, and making their shareholders/board happy. The quarterly earnings call is their god.

To return to Battlefront II, for reference, EA/DICE had the most downvoted comment of all time, and that didn't inspire them to make a better game. It inspired them (and only because Disney is rumored to have stepped in) to fix the game with band-aids, and to drip feed content until they can wash their hands of it and start on the sequel.

I'm not saying it's wrong to be mad, or to criticize, but there's way too much heated rhetoric, intentionally insulting language, and just general bile that's being spread, and it's not good for the attitude of the community in general, nor is it a good look for us when new Shenmue fans are coming to join us, as their first impression of the community or Shenmue fans as a whole.

Shenmue is about making memories, and one day all of this will seem like a blip in the rear view mirror. Do we really want new people to associate all this toxicity with their first memories of Shenmue? I'm being serious here.

Again, we've been waiting 18 years and we're lucky to be here. You can't patch wishes, so let's remember to thank our fucking lucky stars for a bit, that we have the re-release at all, before we burn down the house, ok?

#SaveShenmue didn't get to be where it is today by saying "Give us Shenmue, or else, assholes!"

Last edited:
Although my play through didn't encounter any major game breaking glitches the end product was released in a form that's not acceptable

Also your example of Battlefront is misguided. We are talking of a remaster/port at best and outside Silent Hill collection I've never heard of a remaster that's had as many bugs and issues as Shenmue. The fact they had all this time and yet still released the game in this state is why many fans are justifiable upset. I can only imagine newcomers and the glitches most of us have seen and how that will colour their impressions.

This.

We've waited 18 years for Shenmue III. Surely we can hope our fellow fans can find within themselves a little more patience, maturity, and clear thinking?

Does it suck that these beloved games were not released by perfectionists, from the top to the bottom of the development & publishing hierarchy (between Sega and D3T)?

Hell yes.

Does it make sense to vilify the developers, accuse Sega of conspiring to tank their own game (and investment), or to say they're making a concerted effort to spite Yu Suzuki somehow?

NO. That is counterproductive and silly.

Look at Star Wars Battlefront II. It's a AAA game, out for more than a year, that still has way worse and more numerous bugs than Shenmue (barring the cutscene glitches, which really is truly unacceptable), and half the time they try to fix it, they end up breaking it even worse. Everyone is always screaming to the rafters over there (the forum), and rightly so, because DICE has had countless opportunities to make it right, and has exercised a horribly low degree of skill at responding to communications or keeping fans (who are also consumers) informed.

As was mentioned, Shenmue has been out barely a week, and comes from a company and studio dealing with nowhere near the typical budgets and stature EA/DICE typically has for their projects.

Let's take a step back and put things into perspective. Shenmue is a big deal to a lot of us, and something we love dearly. Much like the delays with S3, I would much rather they take a little more time and get it right (or as right as they can with the 1st patch), the first time....rather try to rush fixes and potentially break it worse, or cause bugs that show up later, after there is no more active development contract or budget to fix them.

If you've never seen a development snafu before, often patching issues resurrects old issues that had been previously fixed. and the more they patch, the more that goes wrong. We already know that it's not releasing in Japan until November, so there's no way that development has been abandoned, so let's wait at least another week or so (especially for consoles because of the patch certification process) before we start up with the torches and pitchforks.

D3T is the only developer we'll ever have, so let's get behind them and try to be positive, as hard as that may be given how badly we want Shenmue to be made whole again.....because they're all we've got.

Personally, I'm hoping that the surprise success of the game will bring us some expanded features, like leaderboards for the minigames and 70 Person Battle......but it would help if the community held their shit together, and maybe offered some appreciation for them getting the game 95% right.

I believe there was some sort of embargo type behind the scenes agreement not mention the cutscene glitches, or the reviewer wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt......or they just got extraordinarily lucky.
The DF guy is a huge Shenmue fan, so I think it's possible he didn't have the heart to be the bearer of bad news. Perhaps he consoled himself by saying they'd fix things by the time it releases for consumers. I mean, if he did mention it, but Sega also had everything fixed by launch, then he could've hurt launch sales for no reason. This is just theory, though, for all we know he genuinely never ran into a single glitch.

I know it might be seen as unethical by some, but as a fellow Shenmue fan that wanted the launch to go as smoothly as possible... If i'm being completely honest, this is probably what I would've done. I think we've all been trying to find the optimal balance for (rightfully) tearing into Sega for botching the release this horribly without letting things evolve into a tortanic situation that ends up taking the game itself down along with it. More than anything, I'm just upset that Sega let this happen to begin with. I really hope this doesn't leave any negative lasting impressions for newcomers to the series. I don't want them thinking the original games were this unpolished, or for glitches to hamper the enjoyment that they SHOULD be having while experiencing these amazing games for the first time.

Although my play through didn't encounter any major game breaking glitches the end product was released in a form that's not acceptable

Also your example of Battlefront is misguided. We are talking of a remaster/port at best and outside Silent Hill collection I've never heard of a remaster that's had as many bugs and issues as Shenmue. The fact they had all this time and yet still released the game in this state is why many fans are justifiable upset. I can only imagine newcomers and the glitches most of us have seen and how that will colour their impressions.

My example of Battlefront is not about whether it's a port versus a new game. It's about the David versus Goliath futility of thinking that we can bitch louder than 100,000 BF2 fans, and that being as mean as we can about it is the thing that's going to make the difference. The other point I'm trying to make with my example is that programming is hard, no matter how big you are or how large your budget is, so I like my example just fine. :)

I agree overall though. I do feel really bad for new fans in that sense too.

Last edited:
The DF guy is a huge Shenmue fan, so I think it's possible he didn't have the heart to be the bearer of bad news. Perhaps he consoled himself by saying they'd fix things by the time it releases for consumers. I mean, if he did mention it, but Sega also had everything fixed by launch, then he could've hurt launch sales for no reason. This is just theory, though, for all we know he genuinely never ran into a single glitch.

I know it might be seen as unethical by some, but as a fellow Shenmue fan that wanted the launch to go as smoothly as possible... If i'm being completely honest, this is probably what I would've done. I think we've all been trying to find the optimal balance for (rightfully) tearing into Sega for botching the release this horribly without letting things evolve into a tortanic situation that ends up taking the game itself down along with it. More than anything, I'm just upset that Sega let this happen to begin with. I really hope this doesn't leave any negative lasting impressions for newcomers to the series. I don't want them thinking the original games were this unpolished, or for glitches to hamper the enjoyment that they SHOULD be having while experiencing these amazing games for the first time.

It's like you rewrote my post! ;)

I got the same impression about the DF guy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back