Higher res texture mods possible (example photo)

Thank you very much. Deep learning technology is pretty mind blowing and it really cleans up the images. :D
Oh my, I just hope the game devs keep up with the modding community, these improvements make me feel the urge to play the game so badly, yet... I must... resist... the temptation... and wait for proper fixes! :sweat:

I was not aware that deep learning could be used like this, it looks as what I imagine a high-res asset would have looked like before being compressed for the Dreamcast. Jaw dropping!

Thank you very much. Deep learning technology is pretty mind blowing and it really cleans up the images. :D

Been messing with NPCs too.
Original
View attachment 989
Remastered
View attachment 990

Not bad. I'm noticing a few more issues with this one, but it's still a good result. Seems like a great way to deal with the huge amount of less important / memorable npcs, especially as a first step.

Though I did experiment with some of the smaller textures and the results with those were rather disappointing. I guess it's going to vary.

I see the site you linked to has its limitations, though the subscription rate seems reasonable enough. I also saw they accept bulk orders, so that's something we might want to look into. I haven't looked into alternatives though.

Not bad. I'm noticing a few more issues with this one, but it's still a good result. Seems like a great way to deal with the huge amount of less important / memorable npcs, especially as a first step.

Though I did experiment with some of the smaller textures and the results with those were rather disappointing. I guess it's going to vary.

I see the site you linked to has its limitations, though the subscription rate seems reasonable enough. I also saw they accept bulk orders, so that's something we might want to look into. I haven't looked into alternatives though.
I have been researching deep learning and super resolution for a while and as far as i know the next best thing that is free is a program called ''waifu2x''. However is not even close to being as good as letsenhance.io solution but is still way better than upscaling efforts of gimp or photoshop and it's free.
You are right, it does vary. I did try some grass textures and the phoenix mirror and they did not look quite as impressive. Seems to work its absolute best on things like images with people and scenery instead of just plain texture however i feel is still very good on average.

Btw, my jacket mod is out. Get it here: https://www.nexusmods.com/shenmue/mods/17 It's my first nexus mod so excuse the crude presentation of the page.

Last edited:
I have been researching deep learning and super resolution for a while and as far as i know the next best thing that is free is a program called ''waifu2x''. However is not even close to being as good as letsenhance.io solution but is still way better than upscaling efforts of gimp or photoshop and it's free.
You are right, it does vary. I did try some grass textures and the phoenix mirror and they did not look quite as impressive. Seems to work its absolute best on things like images with people and scenery instead of just plain texture however i feel is still very good on average.

Btw, my jacket mod is out. Get it here: https://www.nexusmods.com/shenmue/mods/17 It's my first nexus mod so excuse the crude presentation of the page.

I've heard about waifu2x, but the results aren't nearly as impressive.

Anyway, thanks for the jacket mod, I'll give that a try asap!

edit: Just some quick first impressions: Looks really good. However the texture does revert to the original low quality one when you're in the tomato store. I know that happens for the other jacket mod too though. I'm guessing the game loads a seperate model with its own separate texture file there? I looked through Shenmue's textures on the dreamcast, and with that version at least there are multiple instances of the jacket texture, but they all look identical.

Last edited:
I'm really impressed with the deep learning upscales. The NPC faces look like they could use a little extra touching up, but the other images are looking really nice. Is there any deep learning software that could do something similar for the soundtrack?

Unrelated note:
I got all set up ready to improve some NPC faces, and then realised that my PC isn't good enough to run a 15 year old game, LMFAO. Even though it runs games like Arkham City without any frame drop, it can't handle a freaking ported Dreamcast game, even at the lowest settings. I was also going to create a CheatEngine table for both games (I've found the most cheat codes for the original games in the past), but the game is running at like 3 FPS, so there's no way I can help with the texture mods or the cheat codes until I upgrade my PC. But I'm super excited about all the work everyone else is doing, thank you!

Just wanted to remind you all that there are other high quality versions of 2D art in the media section, like Lan Di's tattoo, and the drawing of Shenhua used on the chips bag, chocolate bar, and caramel.

So i know there is already a HD Jacket mod around but i wanted to take a crack at it and mess with the original texture jacket assets from the passport and upres them using super resolution/deep learning technology. You can learn more by going to letsenhance.io and you even get 5 pictures for free that you can upscale. I really like the results.
View attachment 967View attachment 968View attachment 969
This is more of a thing for myself but if anyone is interested lemme know i will do some little tweaks and put a download link.

What is exactly resolution/deep learning technology and where can I get it?

What is exactly resolution/deep learning technology and where can I get it?

It was mentioned in the post you quoted but they're using the site letsenhance.io

I don't quite understand it myself, but it's using artificial intelligence to upres the image. Basically it's now possible to upscale images with added detail, it's pretty exciting stuff.

I've heard about waifu2x, but the results aren't nearly as impressive.

Anyway, thanks for the jacket mod, I'll give that a try asap!

edit: Just some quick first impressions: Looks really good. However the texture does revert to the original low quality one when you're in the tomato store. I know that happens for the other jacket mod too though. I'm guessing the game loads a seperate model with its own separate texture file there? I looked through Shenmue's textures on the dreamcast, and with that version at least there are multiple instances of the jacket texture, but they all look identical.
I notice this on a cutscene on the global travel agency. Texture reverted back. I will take a look when i can and see if i could fix it.

Edit: Fix is up. Download here: https://www.nexusmods.com/shenmue/mods/17

Last edited:
Some Progress on the denim jacket. Tried to do tests in the wide screen rom hack on an emulator and it kept glitching out. lol.
cacf7e394b88d04e1ec3f4b190a2904c.png

Uncompressed file size is 26mb 4608 x 4608 resolution. I'm going to attempt to recreate all the seams and folds from scratch.

Some Progress on the denim jacket. Tried to do tests in the wide screen rom hack on an emulator and it kept glitching out. lol.
cacf7e394b88d04e1ec3f4b190a2904c.png

Uncompressed file size is 26mb 4608 x 4608 resolution. I'm going to attempt to recreate all the seams and folds from scratch.

Double denim - can't wait!

Back