Shenmue Anime: First Trailer

Yeah, feel free to discuss the topic, but do so in the appropriate, dedicated thread.

There will be some sort of spoilers area specifically to discuss episodes people have seen once it releases. Tbh very similar to what we did when Shenmue 3 launched.

Now that I think about it the Shenmue anime at this point wouldn't be a spoiler. Its based on Shenmue 1&2 which everyone here has already beat 10 times over.

Now that I think about it the Shenmue anime at this point wouldn't be a spoiler. Its based on Shenmue 1&2 which everyone here has already beat 10 times over.
If we get new people over because of this I just want to err on the side of caution :)

I'd love to see it structured in this way. Then continue like this. Second Anime season:

Episodes 1-2: S3's story
Episodes 3-7: what was meant for S4, probably cliff temple and so on
Episodes 8-12: S5's story including the fall of the Chiyoumen and the grand finale
Episode 13: Epilogue - what became of Ryo, Shenhua, Xiuying, the Chens and everyone else.

Boom, that would finally give us closure to the story. More games can still come out, but given Yu's age and S3's lukewarm critical reception and sales performance, focus should be on finally getting the story told and getting it told in a worthy way.
I agree with your general point, but if the firs season is successful enough to warrant a second, I bet we could have 3 seasons instead of two. And that would give more space for telling what looks like a rich story.

Bailu, in particular, should get at least 2 episodes IMO, with more emphasis on the legend and Iwao and Zhao's stories there. And of course some time to develop Shenhua as a character (nightly conversations, maybe even the hike towards Bailu if first season didn't have room for that).

Then I wouldn't mind if Niaowu was completely scrapped or reworked, because I don't feel the setting added much as a location, and they can present Niao Sun (and make her betray Lan Di) elsewhere, even in Bailu if needed. I think the planned Baisha chapter with the tulous (which are an interesting setting indeed) should be brought back, so that makes around 3-4 chapters devoted to the (intended) Shenmue 3 story.

The rest is unknown to us, but I guess they couldn't cram all this in 8 episodes:

* The Cliff Temple and the treasure. Purpose of the mirrors.
* The 4 Chiyoumen leaders and their power struggles
* Luoyang and Shenhua's origin
* Meng Cun, Zhao's death explained and resolution for Lan Di's arc
* Ziming and the Xiuying arc
* Ren's resolution. Or, as hinted in the VF RPG cards,
Ren's death
* Wrapping it all together (Ryo's new purpose)

Ryo looks badass in the trailer which reminds me of the Ryo i loved in Shenmue 1+2
I'm curious to see how they will adress the S3 part in the anime.

Looks great! Love the new voice of Shenhua and new poem wording. Also glad they ditched the strange banana jumpsuit Shenhua wore in S3. The animation is beautiful.. the blows Lan Di lands on Iwao are so brutal. Seeing that we got only a minor story in S3, this certainly looks to deliver the narrative we’ve all been waiting for.

I know we've discussed SEPW to death, but the more I think about it, the more I think it's less about Shenmue and more about himself. I like to think that the majority of people who shit on the game never liked it in the first place, but legitimising such views only enforces it and creates a needless echo chamber.

The funniest thing is that I guarantee you that outside of the internet, I bet nobody knows who the hell he is. When you look at the almost decade long journey to get Shenmue III back (thinking of TeamYu amongst others), to have all that hard work potentially damaged by one person is just shameful. On the other hand, I like to think that the brand is in rude health and that people of far more importance are helping keep the brand alive.

But hey, he gets his clicks and attention, but at what cost? A grown man almost certainly defined for the rest of his life by whining and moaning about a game of all things (and it's the insincerity of his moaning that gets me). If anything, his positive reaction to the anime makes things worse. If Shenmue has ruined his life (and lets be honest, in the real world peoples lives are ruined for much, much worse reasons), then have the courage of your bloody convictions and don't get involved. He made his bed. He can fucking lie in it.

Anyway, that's my piece. Back to positivity~❤️
It's a YouTube video. I doubt he'll be defined by it for the rest of his life. Dude probably isnt any older than 30. Nobody outside the fanbase will care about or remember that video by the time he's 35. He'll have made a bunch more videos and become more popular or maybe even move on from YouTube all together. Either way, its highly unlikely this will be any actual stain on his image or weigh heavily on his conscious. Most of the people who watched that video probably weren't manor fans in the first place. Not to mention, he has other videos going all the way in on other popular media that have views in the millions as well. I dont know the exact sales of the game, but looking at the likes and views, im sure more people enjoyed his video than copies that were sold. I think he'll sleep fine in his bed

Wish all of you could hear this Brazilian Shenmue fan; it is well worth to watch; he almost made me cry by the end.
If anyone here in the Dojo also understands portuguese this is well worth watching.
From what I've been seeing the Shenmue Anime has the potential to be a huge success in Brazil.

It's a YouTube video. I doubt he'll be defined by it for the rest of his life. Dude probably isnt any older than 30. Nobody outside the fanbase will care about or remember that video by the time he's 35. He'll have made a bunch more videos and become more popular or maybe even move on from YouTube all together. Either way, its highly unlikely this will be any actual stain on his image or weigh heavily on his conscious. Most of the people who watched that video probably weren't manor fans in the first place. Not to mention, he has other videos going all the way in on other popular media that have views in the millions as well. I dont know the exact sales of the game, but looking at the likes and views, im sure more people enjoyed his video than copies that were sold. I think he'll sleep fine in his bed
Sorry mods, I know we're supposed to drop this, but I feel I have to say this, then i'll shut up.

Eh 🤷‍♂️

I dunno; I think i'd rather do something more constructive and positive with my life than cry and moan about something that in the grand scheme of things doesn't really matter. If it's really ruined his life, I think he's fucking lucky. Perhaps I wouldn't be so pissed off about it if the video was called something else, but frankly I find it rather offensive and crass. I've known people whose lives were ruined by disease and poverty. Maybe because i'm a little older and lived a small portion of life pre-internet, but I find the hero-worship of some YouTubers who do little more than make opinion puff pieces and stoke emotional responses of people to be rather sinister and sad.

But the point still stands that needless damage was made. He could've gotten his points across in exactly the same way had he chosen not to take the easy route of faux-outrage, but he didn't. And his other critical videos tend to concentrate on things that are financially secure. Shenmue is not so lucky.

I remember reading a gaming magazine in the late 90's called "Arcade" and there would be a column called "When a game has ruined my life" and often it was nothing more than someone playing a game and forgetting to save or something minor like that. A reader wrote a letter shortly after saying that one time he ran a bath then played Ecco the Dolphin. He forgot to turn the tap off which lead to massive leakages, flooding and house damage. Their parents shortly divorced shortly afterwards. I never forgot that letter, because it made a mockery of the article. So when I read or watch clickbait like the crap SEPW has done, I think that either he is lying, insincere or has yet to know the true meaning of suffering.

I welcome criticism when it's done in a way that doesn't insult my intelligence or the audience. SEPW was so insincere that any fair criticism (and there was some I thought he had a point) was negated by the pointless woe-is-me of it all.

Anyway. I'm done. It's an unpleasant discussion and I wish to look at the positives of the recent news. But while most of his 'fanbase' will forget, I certainly won't and i'm sure others here won't either.

Sigh...I'm tired of nonrelated topics constantly devolving into SEPW. We barely lasted one page. 😩

I know we're all still frustrated and hurt by his attempt to bury the franchise for clicks, but here's the important bit we should all remember: it didn't work.

1633861335168.png

The Shenmue IP is arguably more alive than it ever has been, and this guy now has egg on his face for implying the franchise would be doomed after Shenmue 3.

Why don't we try to enjoy this new Golden Age of Shenmue content instead? There's so much awesome stuff we could talk about that's on-topic.

Sigh...I'm tired of nonrelated topics constantly devolving into SEPW. We barely lasted one page. 😩

I know we're all still frustrated and hurt by his attempt to bury the franchise for clicks, but here's the important bit we should all remember: it didn't work.

View attachment 13083

The Shenmue IP is arguably more alive than it ever has been, and this guy now has egg on his face for implying the franchise would be doomed after Shenmue 3.

Why don't we try to enjoy this new Golden Age of Shenmue content instead? There's so much awesome stuff we could talk about that's on-topic.
Speaking of on topic, it seems Shenmue is being advertised on Toonami!

Might have to see if we can grab a copy of this advert!

If this is a Crunchy Roll original, you have to imagine they'll be pushing it super hard. Remember they have a user base of 200 million+, along with an additional 5 million premium users.

This doesn't even include the tv audience from toonami and adult swim

I think the anime will do just fine. No doubt the community will buy all the physical releases and merch as well.

Anime can spread like wildfire and go viral very quickly, especially if it has beautiful animation and fights, which this is looking to have.

We're going to be ok

Back