Shenmue Anime: First Trailer

Do you reckon any profits from the anime will go to Yu Suzuki/Ys Net, or will royalties belong to Sega?

I have never heard of Honey's Anime before so not sure if they're reliable, but if this is true then...Spring 2022 is sooner than I thought!

I have never heard of Honey's Anime before so not sure if they're reliable, but if this is true then...Spring 2022 is sooner than I thought!
I can't find a single source to back up their claim. I'd take it with a very heavy grain of salt personally.

This mentions 2022, although that may have already been known?

この度、アニメ『Shenmue the Animation』が、2022年より展開予定となりました This time, the animation "Shenmue the Animation" is scheduled to be released from 2022.

This website appears in a Japanese article:

Not loading for me, but I guess keep your eyes open?

Never mind. Loaded. Pretty light for now.

Scheduled to be launched in 2022 "Shenmue the Animation"! Key visual lifted! Anime official HP & Twitter open!

This website appears in a Japanese article:

Not loading for me, but I guess keep your eyes open?

Never mind. Loaded. Pretty light for now.
The site gives us a bigger image used at the end of the trailer:
topbg_pc.jpg

Mirrors:
footerbg_pc.jpg

Logo:
logo.png
Helpful for us who like to tinker with Photoshops :)

Has “Sega/Shenmue Project” shown up before? I’m sure it’s just related to the anime but that caught my eye at the bottom.

Has “Sega/Shenmue Project” shown up before? I’m sure it’s just related to the anime but that caught my eye at the bottom.
I think it was on the artwork released last year.

I'm a bit late to the party, but yeah this looks great and I'd totally buy a blu-ray release.

I want a huge over the top scene for when Ryo puts on his band-aid (turns his back to the camera, fidgets around in an over elaborate scene as he applies the band-aid, turns forward to the camera with a dramatic stinger).

Reference:

Maybe they formed a new company or legal entity called "Shenmue Project" for legal reasons or business reasons so if they get sued or the whole project goes wrong, it's just that project company which can be held legally responsible. Also, they can probably let the project entity go bancrupt without too much hassle if they decide to pull the plug on the project. Just guessing though.

I think it would be wonderfull if the team that is working in the Anime could also work in Shenmue 4.
Yu Suzuki could work more with Ys Net in the technicall aspects of the game like the gameplay and the combat and the Anime team could work on the story, the characters and in game cutscenes.

I gifted my sisters' kids a Crunchyroll account that they never activated. Looks like their loss is my gain, cuz I now have an account (for 12 months!). I hope this thing's out in spring.

The world of video game is no stranger to creating anime adaptations, with the likes of Pokemon, Persona, Castlevania, and countless others help forging the bond between the two mediums. Now, Cartoon Network is teaming up with Crunchyroll and Telecom Animation Film to dive into the world of Shenmue, a fan-favorite video game franchise that follows the story of Ryo Hazuki as he seeks vengeance for the death of his father. With the first trailer dropping at this year's New York Comic-Con, the creators behind the series have revealed new details for the anime arriving next year.

Shenmue: The Animation had an anime panel at this year's New York Comic-Con, wherein the creators of the upcoming adaptation were able to dive into a number of new details as to what fans of the franchise, which originally debuted on the Sega Dreamcast, can expect:

• The creators consulted a number of pages of backstory that weren't present in the games in order to help in expanding on the universe for the anime series
  • The story is "linear" but is doing its best to stick with the numerous aspects and environments of the game, with Ryo taking the opportunity to chat with a number of people on the street, which is a prevalent part of the video games
  • The locations that will be featured in Shenmue: The Animation include Kowloon, Hong Kong, and Yokosuka to name a few

Shenmue has had an interesting history in the world of video games, with the first two installments landing on the now-defunct Sega Dreamcast in 1999 and 2001 respectively. For years, fans of the franchise believed that the series would never return until creator Yu Suzuki revealed that he was working on a third game. While the reception to Shenmue 3 was varied, it's clear that Suzuki is planning to stick with his series for the long haul and is bringing the world of Ryo Hazuki to new mediums.

Everything about this looks, sounds and feels so authentic. The art style is perfect, not overly flashy but reminicent of the "old times". The idea of added backstory is tantalising. It's like a director's cut of the games and a win-win for everyone. I see they've gone back to the original logo for this as well. I'm hoping Yu Suzuki keeps the consistency going forward.

Back