Spoilers Shenmue The Animation: Episode 1 - Thunderclap - Thread

I loved it. I have always been on the side of finishing the story through the games first, but after seeing this, I would be just fine if they finish the story in this medium. I actually hope they do.
I am not a fan of this idea. The anime after only one episode is already so different from the games, I would hate for this to be how the rest of the story is told.

I think this will be key to one's enjoyment for the show going forward. We either have to be on board with change, or not. And I'm definitely not saying that anyone is wrong in disliking the "new"/different Ryo, but it is what it is.

I love love love the dark take on Ryo of the games, I think it's unique. Watching the show though, I instantly liked the Ryo/Nozomi interaction, I almost felt happy FOR Ryo; he deserves a break considering not only what happened but what's about to happen to him. And it was true to the character he was in the rest of the episode, a bit less determined and more unsure of himself than game-Ryo who woke up with vengeance on his mind. Nozomi gave him a nice little break.

I agree, it is not wrong if people dislike the "new"/different Ryo but it is what it is, it is a different medium, it is another version, a different take on the Shenmue story.

In my opinion the anime will show more Ryo's feelings and emotions like it happened in the first episode.

In other words we will probably see in the next episodes Ryo laughing, feeling sad, feeling fear, maybe crying, maybe thinking about Nozomi, experiencing many difficulties and learning many things along the way and much more, all of this still staying true to the Ryo of the games, not 100% of course but from the first episode this is what i saw, to me Ryo in the anime is not super happy all the time, nothing like that, it is still true to the Ryo in the games, it is just that in the anime Ryo is showing more his feelings and emotions.

Let me give some examples... Let's imagine that in the anime Ryo will cry after the goodbye scene with Nozomi, or that Ryo will cry because he is leaving his hometown to go to Hong Kong, or that Ryo will cry at some point because he miss his father, probably people will say that this out of character, but this is another version of Shenmue so is fine in my opinion seeing Ryo's feelings and emotions, this way the viewers can connect even more with the main protagonist of the story, i like what i saw in the first episode and i like Ryo in the games and Ryo in the anime

I agree, it is not wrong if people dislike the "new"/different Ryo but it is what it is, it is a different medium, it is another version, a different take on the Shenmue story.

In my opinion the anime will show more Ryo's feelings and emotions like it happened in the first episode.

In other words we will probably see in the next episodes Ryo laughing, feeling sad, feeling fear, maybe crying, maybe thinking about Nozomi, experiencing many difficulties and learning many things along the way and much more, all of this still staying true to the Ryo of the games, not 100% of course but from the first episode this is what i saw, to me Ryo in the anime is not super happy all the time, nothing like that, it is still true to the Ryo in the games, it is just that in the anime Ryo is showing more his feelings and emotions.

Let me give some examples... Let's imagine that in the anime Ryo will cry after the goodbye scene with Nozomi, or that Ryo will cry because he is leaving his hometown to go to Hong Kong, or that Ryo will cry at some point because he miss his father, probably people will say that this out of character, but this is another version of Shenmue so is fine in my opinion seeing Ryo's feelings and emotions, this way the viewers can connect even more with the main protagonist of the story, i like what i saw in the first episode and i like Ryo in the games and Ryo in the anime
I think something to remember/consider is that Ryo's not a blank canvas for a player to project themselves onto like in the games (figuratively speaking). He'll have to show more emotion during scenes and his character likely won't be a 1:1 translation of how he acted in the games.

Another thing i love about the first episode is Lan Di with more screen time, was nice to see more scenes with Lan Di.

No one ever heard of putting on a brave face before? Ryo laughing like that makes plenty of sense. He doesn't want Nozomi to worry.

I think this is going to be good. The meat and potatoes of the series is in Hong Kong, so I'm actually thankful for the pacing. Besides, most of the lead-up to getting that letter is just a string of wild goose chases anyway, so I think it'd have bogged the show down if they went with the whole "find Chinese people --> three blades --> anyone but Liu --> Liu --> etc."

If it was an exact carbon copy of the game, it'd be a terrible anime that seems like its going nowhere.

I love the pacing of the anime so far. As someone who felt like Shenmue I should have been a much shorter game than it is, this is a welcome addition. The quicker we can get Ryo to that boat to Hong Kong the better. I'm really excited to see Ren show up in this anime. A part of me believes that segments of Shenmue III could show up in the anime as well.

🚨 BTW, if you've got a moment...

Head over to My Anime List and join the page there to boost the popularity, and make sure to rank the series. Some salty people are already getting in there to downvote, so balance it out with a 9 or a 10 if you like what you've seen.
This is so sad to see. If you read the comments on My Anime List it's quite obvious that it's a terminally-online contingent of extremely salty "fans" who are pure raging that the anime didn't adapt every scene 100% precisely how they wanted it to, so they've rated it 1/10 out of spite.

Hard to even call these people fans. They don't really give a shit about Shenmue or the future of the series, they just live to moan.

I'm glad to see the vast majority of Shenmue fans loved the first episode, and from what I've seen most people unfamiliar with Shenmue / those who haven't played the games seem to love it.

eBCaMnw.png

Cruncyroll ratings are much more reflective of people's actual opinions on the show.

I just watched the first episode and I really liked it.

I'm super glad they opted for a pace as fast as this, since I guess it will allow the series to focus more on Shenmue 2, where the most interesting part of the story resides IMO.

I yelled a big YES! when Ryo said he wanted to know more about his father, since that was something that I strongly missed in the games (specially in Shenmue III). Reading some of your reactions here, though, I kind of agree they could have initially made Ryo driven by pure revenge, and made the switch in his motivations in the Xiuying arc, or even when meeting Shenhua.

However I don't take this as a negative thing, but rather as a question about what the show will tell us in those arcs. Maybe it will be something even more interesting. (Xiuying not appearing in the ending montage is a bit worrying, though).

This is so sad to see. If you read the comments on My Anime List it's quite obvious that it's a terminally-online contingent of extremely salty "fans" who are pure raging that the anime didn't adapt every scene 100% precisely how they wanted it to, so they've rated it 1/10 out of spite.

Hard to even call these people fans. They don't really give a shit about Shenmue or the future of the series, they just live to moan.

I'm glad to see the vast majority of Shenmue fans loved the first episode, and from what I've seen most people unfamiliar with Shenmue / those who haven't played the games seem to love it.

eBCaMnw.png

Cruncyroll ratings are much more reflective of people's actual opinions on the show.
This is getting ridiculous now. Who are you to question mine or anybody elses love for the series because we didn't rate the first episode highly or speak well of it on MAL?

Also, what comments are you talking about? it doesn't even have many comments about the show on the site. As for the ratings, it has a total of 3 people who rated it 1, the exact same amount as Crunchyroll, so you're blowing things out of proportion. Out of the 290 users that have left a score, a total of 17 have rated it below average.

How are people in the uk watching this?
I'm in the UK. I'm not watching it. I just don't want to see iconic scenes from the game reimagined in any way shape or form, in the same way that I refuse to watch remakes of movies such as the Exorcist, the Omen and Point Break. They're works of art which can't be improved upon, in my view, and I feel the same about Shenmue. I don't want a different interpretation of Shenmue, I'm happy with the one I have.

I don't mind if other people like it and enjoy it, though. But it's just not for me. I want the story to be finished as a game.

(Xiuying not appearing in the ending montage is a bit worrying, though).

Xiuying is an important character in the story so i will be in shock if Xiuying is not in the anime, i really feel Xiuying is in the anime, also learning the 4 Wude is super important.

I'm confused with something, in the official Shenmue site we can see that there is an opening theme song and ending theme song in the anime, the first episode put the opening theme song UNDEAD-NOID in the ending, and i noticed that the first episode do not have an opening animation, in general anime have opening animation and ending animation with theme songs, in the first episode was just the ending animation and with the opening song.

So i have a feeling that for the second episode we will see the opening animation for the first time and maybe a new ending animation with the ending theme, this is possible as well.

1644194079978.png

Back