Spoilers Shenmue The Animation: Episode 1 - Thunderclap - Thread

Has anyone found a way of watching it with the English dub yet? I am curious to check out the dub.
I literally started watching this just as you posted this and used the same link that @Kenzo38130 posted. My plan is to watch each episode twice, first in Japanese and second in English.

I do like the dub overall. I agree that Lan Di wasn't quite menacing enough but I liked the rest of the cast. Some characters sound different than their game counterparts, like Nozomi and Chai but I still like their voices. I think Chai was in a bit of a no win situation where if they replicated his game VO he would've been dismissed as a Gollum rip-off.

No, I think some of the suggestions on here that people are lowering the score deliberately is unfounded. If you click the stats page, you can see who is leaving scores. If I am being brutally honest, the only score manipulating I am seeing is from Shenmue fans signing up to leave a 10/10.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of this. Nobody is going to take the score seriously if they see a bunch of new users sign up and give it a 10/10, it's not honest and there is a chance that a lot of these reviews will get removed if they suspect any boosting.

Also, it's quite normal for a lot of users on MAL to be overly harsh on certain anime. It's not uncommon for users to leave a 2 or 3. Many users have hundreds of animes on their watch list with a mean score of around 5. Basically, what I am saying is, don't take MAL too seriously. A score on MAL will have very little impact on how the show is received from the wider audience and will have little to no impact on if the show receives a second season or not.
How is that score manipulating? I am for sure not doing that and I give it a 10. Don't make assumptions thank you.

How is that score manipulating? I am for sure not doing that and I give it a 10. Don't make assumptions thank you.
It's not an assumption, people on here are admitting to doing it. If a bunch of people sign up to a site to leave a ton of 1's, then everybody accuses them of review bombing, let's not pretend the same thing doesn't happen the other way around.

If the show omits Xiuying, I can see that being the divisive element that would have a majority of the fans turning against the show.

I'll hold out hope that they're not that crazy to take away such an integral character. They can probably get away with omitting Fang-mei, as much as that would hurt, but lack of Xiuying would probably be a dealbreaker for me.
She's been cast. How much of a role she has though is the bit I'm not sure on

Having had time to digest things and watch the English I am now caught up.

Man that show is paced fast, I'd have maybe liked a little more of the pre-Iwao death but happy with what was there. The fighitng is brutal and impactful. I really like the extra characterisation they've given Ryo and wonder how this will change as he slides deeper into the story. This feels like more than revenge. This feels like a story of grief, discovery, and vengeance all rolled in. The games have this tone as well but I'd say the other stuff is more understated.

The Eng dub is also good. Austin Tindle is a good Ryo and Cat Thomas as Nozomi is spot on. Natalie Rial as Shenhua fits nicely. I think I prefer the JP but will certainly watch both.

Having had time to digest things and watch the English I am now caught up.

Man that show is paced fast, I'd have maybe liked a little more of the pre-Iwao death but happy with what was there. The fighitng is brutal and impactful. I really like the extra characterisation they've given Ryo and wonder how this will change as he slides deeper into the story. This feels like more than revenge. This feels like a story of grief, discovery, and vengeance all rolled in. The games have this tone as well but I'd say the other stuff is more understated.

The Eng dub is also good. Austin Tindle is a good Ryo and Cat Thomas as Nozomi is spot on. Natalie Rial as Shenhua fits nicely. I think I prefer the JP but will certainly watch both.

It occurs to me that if you can successfully translate shenmue into a new medium, and completely change the pacing as a necessity of doing so, it shows how strong the core story of Shenmue is. I think they are literally proving this right now with the anime, as it has to live or die on story and character alone.

As much as the innovations of the original games are established, the legacy of the anime may also be that the (unfair imo obviously) critical perception of shenmue as "dull, slow, cheesy etc" may fade somewhat overtime, as the strong rep of the anime improves the overall perception of shenmue (I'm assuming the anime continues to be excellent, though seems like it will be).

Has anyone found a way of watching it with the English dub yet? I am curious to check out the dub.
Here you go.

After seeing the Chai fight, part of me wondered whether they might omit bother her and Dou Niou. Anime Ryo has already grown more as a character in one episode than game Ryo has across three games, so I struggle to see how characters whose purpose is to help him to develop as both a person or a martial artist are going to fit in.
I think it has been confirmed Dou Niou will at least be in it. Not including Xiuying would be mad, so I'm sure she will be in it.

Edit: Ah just read the rest of the thread. She's in. Ignore my post.

I almost never watch things twice but as soon as my internet stops being terrible I'm going to go a second round -- this time with the Shenmue Dojo reaction commentary :cool:

I'm intrigued by Lan Di asking his minion to find the second mirror. Does he mean in Japan? In Yokosuka? It's very clear he thinks Iwao had only one mirror, from their dialogue in both the anime and the game. He had to have known there are two mirrors at this point in the game as well.

So the question is, where is he getting his information from? Why is he so sure Iwao has one mirror and the other is somewhere else (perhaps in someone else's possession)? He obviously doesn't know much about the location of the second mirror. Was this a tactic played by Iwao? By Yuanda Zhu? Interesting.

Watched this morning on Cruncyroll, I hate the app, one of the worse streaming apps out there. Had to use Chromecast sincethe PS4 version was "unable to connect" when interent was fine. Whatever.

About the episode, so far so good. I like it a lot, not a 10 but a solid 8'5. It's a different media, it's an adaptation, get over it. You still have the original source if you don't like whatever creative decission they took, what it work on a videogame related to pacing and how to tell a story can not be translated to a media like anime. I like how the two main investagion points has not been presented with Ryo asking people around but more casually and with Nozomi there.

I'm having a flashback, when Fellowship of the Ring movie was released some people had the same kind of concerns some have here, so I think we haven't learn nothing about media language translation in 20 years.

Another true-to-life inspired backdrop, of Lan Di speeding through Yokosuka. (This is a different tunnel from the one where Ryo rides his motorbike through a tunnel in the trailer).

View attachment 14051
Man, they really nailed the backgrounds in almost every regard.

I just about lost my shit when we cut to inside Hazuki residence w/ Ine-san and Fuku-san, seeing the sideboard, the telephone, the calendar, the umbrella bin etc. etc. all exactly as it is in the game. It's the small details that really make it, for me.

Man, they really nailed the backgrounds in almost every regard.

I just about lost my shit when we cut to inside Hazuki residence w/ Ine-san and Fuku-san, seeing the sideboard, the telephone, the calendar, the umbrella bin etc. etc. all exactly as it is in the game. It's the small details that really make it, for me.
I gotta admit I had a massive grin on my face seeing the clown on Tom's truck. Also them Hotdogs look GOOD :LOL:

Back