My Anime List (MAL) - Rating

Hi Everyone,

I am a big fan of Shenmue and usually keep up to date with the latest anime, I know that a lot of anime fans use the website My Anime List (MAL) to do this (it is like IMDB for anime).

From my experience whenever I would give a new show a chance or see what new shows are airing for a specific season this website is a good guide many people use. Also big youtubers in the Anime community do videos discussing upcoming shows using this website.

Currently, Shenmue The Animation has a rating of 6.53/10 , which is abit disappointing, I know if I did not know about Shenmue and if I was just an anime fan this score would put me off potentially giving the show a chance. On MAL anything considered good gets a 7 or above.

I know it is still early days but I am worried that this show might not take off and we will be stuck without Shenmue content again.

Please if you enjoyed the show and want to help it gain an audience within the Anime fan community, consider creating an account and select the "watching" dropdown and then a rating out of 10 then select how many episodes you have seen so far

https://myanimelist.net/anime/42808/Shenmue_the_Animation - Link to the My Anime List page for Shenmue The Animation

I just wanted to make you guys aware of this, I really enjoyed episode 1 and I can't wait for the weekly episodes also I hope there is an online service introduced to watch the English dub :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up! We need to get ahead of this before the score gets too low. So crazy that there are people who are so anti-shenmue that they can be bothered to go out of their way to give it a bad rating...

This only takes a few minutes guys, so please rate the anime so we get it up to the best score we can!

I second this. Please get on My Anime List and add a high score if you liked the anime. It is very easy to do and could have a big impact.

FWIW, there is a discussion thread on the first episode at the bottom of the page, and it’s mostly all glowing.

What's the deal? The episode was so clearly great, are people giving it a low rating out of some weird spite or just shitty taste?

What's the deal? The episode was so clearly great, are people giving it a low rating out of some weird spite or just shitty taste?
Yeah, I watch quite a bit of anime. I'm not a hardcore fan, more of a casual, but objectively speaking I think it was good regardless of me being a fan of the franchise. I don't see how anyone could rate it much below a 7. As a fan, it's a 9/10 for me and could become a 10 as the series progresses.

It’s just fandoms rating it down to keep their show’s score up. I’m sure of it. Anime fans are kind of weird.

It’s just fandoms rating it down to keep their show’s score up. I’m sure of it. Anime fans are kind of weird.
No it isn't, there is nothing to suggest this is actually happening. The only dishonesty I am seeing is from Shenmue fans themselves, which is quite disappointing in all honesty. I am actually really against the idea of this thread. I'm not a fan of faking a score. If you genuinely believe it's a 10/10, then rate it 10/10, but making multiple accounts just to leave a 10/10 rating isn't a good look.

As much as I love the Shenmue games, I am not going to fake my score for the anime, I will rate it honestly.

I haven’t even rated it or signed up for the site… I don’t see anything on the net to suggest anyone thinks it’s a 6/10 or worse, and I’ve read plenty of Shenmue criticism in the past on the sites I frequent, so I’ll assume pointless review bombing both ways. I don’t think i told anyone to rate it anything, by the way, so target your response at someone else.

No it isn't, there is nothing to suggest this is actually happening. The only dishonesty I am seeing is from Shenmue fans themselves, which is quite disappointing in all honesty. I am actually really against the idea of this thread. I'm not a fan of faking a score. If you genuinely believe it's a 10/10, then rate it 10/10, but making multiple accounts just to leave a 10/10 rating isn't a good look.

As much as I love the Shenmue games, I am not going to fake my score for the anime, I will rate it honestly.
I agree it's presumptuous and possibly naïve to believe it's being review bombed, just because the overall score isn't as high as we think it should be. However, no one has said anything about spamming 10/10 votes, creating multiple accounts or doing anything that is dishonest.

This is what the thread opening post says:
Please if you enjoyed the show and want to help it gain an audience within the Anime fan community, consider creating an account and select the "watching" dropdown and then a rating out of 10 then select how many episodes you have seen so far

If you think that people on MAL are not review it bombing negatively, you clearly don't know MAL.

Do as you want, but the future of the franchise depend of this. Shenmue NEEDS to be supported, is the only way for the franchise to have a future, and there is many free toxicity and hate in the internet, only for the sake to do harm.

Even Corey Marshall did say the other day: "Support Shenmue".

Later don't cry because the franchise is over.

I haven’t even rated it or signed up for the site… I don’t see anything on the net to suggest anyone thinks it’s a 6/10 or worse, and I’ve read plenty of Shenmue criticism in the past on the sites I frequent, so I’ll assume pointless review bombing both ways. I don’t think i told anyone to rate it anything, by the way, so target your response at someone else.
The review bombing is only going one way though, you can actually see it. You may have not seen anybody on the net to suggest people think it's a 6/10 or worse, but MAL is a site dedicated to anime, so you are getting an idea of how regular anime fans feel about the show compared to a wider audience that may be casual anime watchers.

I also didn't say you did tell people to rate it, that part of my post was aimed at the idea of this thread.

If you think that people on MAL are not review it bombing negatively, you clearly don't know MAL.

Do as you want, but the future of the franchise depend of this. Shenmue NEEDS to be supported, is the only way for the franchise to have a future, and there is many free toxicity and hate in the internet, only for the sake to do harm.

Even Corey Marshall did say the other day: "Support Shenmue".

Later don't cry because the franchise is over.
The review bombing on MAL is usually amongst fandoms of really popular shows. You rarely see review bombing for smaller shows, it makes no sense to target shows like this.

My passion for Shenmue is through the games. Games and tv are two different mediums. Just because I love Shenmue the game, it doesn't mean I should love Shenmue the anime, and I'm not going to fake it if it doesn't turn out to be very good.

Last edited:
The review bombing on MAL is usually amongst fandoms of really popular shows. You rarely see review bombing for smaller shows, it makes no sense to target shows like this.

My passion for Shenmue is through the games. Games and tv are too different mediums. Just because I love Shenmue the game, it doesn't mean I should love Shenmue the anime, and I'm not going to fake it if it doesn't turn out to be very good.
You are not doing any favour to the franchise writing things like "Well I'm a big Shenmue fan, and I wouldn't rate that episode higher than a 5, so I understand where the low ratings are coming from. I thought the second half of the episode was a mess."

Others will see that, will think that is a cool comentary for the critical factor, and will copy that attitude and message, without even watching the anime and judging for themselves. Nobody is telling you fake your note. You can have your opinion and the right to score the show as you want, but if you want to support the franchise, at least you should not discourage people from seeing it or liking it. At least for respect to the people who want that the story continue.

Another thing is if you are not a fan of all of Shenmue, in that case, I understand all perfectly.

Back