Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Luoyang, the tapestry they are looking at in the picture, is mentioned by Shenhua directly in some dialogue, but it is buried pretty deep in Bailu, and you have to finish most of the conversation paths to hear it. The place in the mountains seems to be the same place as the cliff temple, but I could be wrong. I used to be more concerned about those locations being cut, but they just wouldn't have the same weight if they were included at the very beginning of Shenmue III, I feel.
Emm..But Yu-San still remember the white leaf in the secret room and the photo of FangMei, I almost forget them until I saw them in backpack in S3. I think Yu-San just wanna cut this content in S3, and put it in S4.

I was sad that the tapestries were removed too. Likewise, the addition of the second room to Shenhua's house and the addition of modern appliances in her home irked me a little. I think if something has been established already, roll with it.

I'm curious about the addition of the second room, though. I heard a rumor that this was done to appease the Chinese audience (keeping the young, pure Chinese girl away from the Japanese brute) but I'd like to find some confirmation on it.

In the early development of Shenmue 3, I remember Shenhua's house being shown. It looks like, even at this stage, they decided to remove the tapestries that were present in the second game but the decision to add modern appliances to the kitchen was taken later.

So I finally played Shenmue III again on pc with mods.

I used:
No stamina drain, Eric Kelso voice, and classic camera.

Classic camera I didn't really care for, it was nice to hear Ren again, but not having your health go down while walking around the areas did help me enjoy the game a lot more.

If I played the game without mods, it'd still be a 5/10 for me, but since I used those 3 mods, I enjoyed Shenmue III far more than my last playthrough.

With the mods, Shenmue III is a 6.5/10 for me.

I hope to god that the stamina drain doesn't make its way to 4

Last edited:
I swear only 1% of the community figured out how to optimize the stamina system and freely explore without any issues. It really wasn't that bad.

That said, it did need some serious tweaking to prevent it from draining quickly, as casuals couldn't figure out how to increase the stamina gauge effectively.

I don't mind it returning, but it needs to be optimized

I swear only 1% of the community figured out how to optimize the stamina system and freely explore without any issues. It really wasn't that bad.

That said, it did need some serious tweaking to prevent it from draining quickly, as casuals couldn't figure out how to increase the stamina gauge effectively.

All I would want from it is to stop draining as you stand still. I felt that was my one complaint with it. I just never liked that it drained even as you stood still.

It was much better after patch. I can take/leave the system, however, I was surprised that it was so controversial to current fans because to me it seemed like the most "Shenmue" system in the whole game. It felt like a more dynamic statistic rather than in the previous games where Ryo's general non-move abilities were static, the fact Ryo for once needed to improve more general fitness abilities like endurance and stamina I thought was interesting, albeit not flawless. There are definitely ways to improve it imo.

I did get the health system all the way too max on my first playthrough and it was still annoying. Hell, when you're in a section of a place where you can gamble, it still drains even when you're not moving (is Ryo having a heart attack or something??) When you reach 3 orbs, Ryo stops running and keeps saying stuff like "I won't be worth anything if I don't eat" which you'll have to hear dozens of times because there are times where you can't buy more food because you have to save up for money with that old prune who needs you to spend 2000 dollars for alcohol or 5000 dollars for a book that doesn't even have the page you need. The stamina system was an awful decision to make as a feature in the game. It's like making a Sonic game, but Sonic needs to stop and take a breath every 5 minutes.

Imo, the stamina system was the worst part of 3 hands down.

It was much better after patch. I can take/leave the system, however, I was surprised that it was so controversial to current fans because to me it seemed like the most "Shenmue" system in the whole game. It felt like a more dynamic statistic rather than in the previous games where Ryo's general non-move abilities were static, the fact Ryo for once needed to improve more general fitness abilities like endurance and stamina I thought was interesting, albeit not flawless. There are definitely ways to improve it imo.

I think the issue was also compounded by the fact you as a player were balancing all these systems and didn’t know when a fight may occur and if you didn’t have full health that could punish you in a fight which again took away from player agency.

It was a highly flawed system that would need significant tweaks if it’s in the 4th game.

I think the issue was also compounded by the fact you as a player were balancing all these systems and didn’t know when a fight may occur and if you didn’t have full health that could punish you in a fight which again took away from player agency.

It was a highly flawed system that would need significant tweaks if it’s in the 4th game.
I concur. If they have stamina in the 4th game it should be its own gauge imo.

I'm not going to throw a fit if they nix or dramatically overhaul it in 4 since I know most people didn't like it, but fwiw I never had an issue with it either. The one thing I WOULD change is I'd add sit-down locations and food stands to eat at like @mjqjazzbar and I think some others have mentioned. Downing a bunch of raw garlic and potatoes is lovely and all, but it'd be nice to give Ryo a proper meal every once in a while.

Now that I think of it, it'd also be cool to be able to combine elements to cook a meal with. Could be especially cool if there are any wilderness/travel sections like in S2 disc 4.

Last edited:
While they are few and far between, I really love the fighting cutscenes in S3. Wish we got more with Xianzi Bei (the fisherman grandmaster). Love his fighting style.

I agree, while I don’t like to quote myself here is what I posted about the fight choreography in another thread

4. Fight choreography

Despite the game suffering from some rough animation I was pleasantly surprised how nicely the games fight choreography looked. I actually think the scene with Grandmaster Bei in terms of scene execution, movement and direction hold up with any similar scenes with Guizhang or Xuixing from the original games.

Is there a way to cap the PC version to 60FPS?

I've noticed going back and forward from the PS4 and PC version that the fighting seems even smoother in terms of inputs on PC. Or seems less delayed. Granted, my PC is running the game at around 90-120 fps with my 144hz monitor and that's probably why it feels smoother to me, but I'm curious to see the PC version running at a locked 60fps just to see the difference.

I've noticed going back and forward from the PS4 and PC version that the fighting seems even smoother in terms of inputs on PC. Or seems less delayed. Granted, my PC is running the game at around 90-120 fps with my 144hz monitor and that's probably why it feels smoother to me, but I'm curious to see the PC version running at a locked 60fps just to see the difference.

Speaking on a related issue with VRR now available on PS5 and there being dedicated VRR support (Just been replaying Miles Morales and Rachet), I guess unless we get a dedicated VRR update Shenmue 3 will be limited to 60FPS?

I agree, while I don’t like to quote myself here is what I posted about the fight choreography in another thread
I believe they mocaped the cutscenes but non of the game animations. That's why it looks so much better.

You could cap the PC version to 60fps by setting your monitor to 60hz in Windows Display settings.

Speaking on a related issue with VRR now available on PS5 and there being dedicated VRR support (Just been replaying Miles Morales and Rachet), I guess unless we get a dedicated VRR update Shenmue 3 will be limited to 60FPS?
PS5 VRR support does not apply to PS4 games, only PS5 games. (Even if the force VRR option is on, if it's a PS4 game it's not applicable) Shenmue 3 would require a PS5 version to run over 60fps.

PS5 VRR support does not apply to PS4 games, only PS5 games. (Even if the force VRR option is on, if it's a PS4 game it's not applicable) Shenmue 3 would require a PS5 version to run over 60fps.

Yes, I read that earlier. Is it possible with a powerful PC to play the game at 120FPS at 4K as an example?

To be honest I didn't really think much for framerates above 60FPS, but replaying segments of Miles Morales and Rachet in Peformance RT mode has really changed my perspective.

I'm approaching the end of my S2 playthrough and have been anticipating replaying Shenmue 3. I'm pondering that maybe my perspective of the game may change if I replay it right after Shenmue 2.

I'm also noticing the parts of S2 that are similar to S3 that I hated about S3 but often overlook in S2.

I'm a new fan. I finished Shenmue 2 this week for the first time and started Shenmue 3. Everything is worse. Everything. What is that combat? I'm sorry for the fans who waited so long for a much inferior experience.

Back