Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Shenmue III on Steam had a good percentage of good new analysis for quite some time, I think it was 91% but now a few days passed it has dropped to 58%

If you like/love Shenmue III then i recommend you do a analysis there, if you want of course. Shenmue is a struggling franchise, every support is important.

View attachment 14558
Looking at a couple of those most recent reviews they are pathetic and from people who haven't played even an hour of the game. Sorry how can you judge something that fast? At least most people on here who didn't like it finished the damn thing.

I'd suggest people do go on and rate here if you haven't already but I suspect this is pretty much done and the overall scores remain positive on Steam.

It has been so long since played Shenmue 3 but I was thinking about the backer calls with friends. In one of the calls, it is mentioned that the Mad Angels aren't around anymore to cause trouble. When I heard this at first, I thought it was hard to believe that they didn't seek any retribution for the way Ryo humiliated them. I mean, they already targeted his friends in the past.

Then I thought of Yanglang's dialogue during the interrogation scene, you know the part where he mentioned that the people (presumably chiyoumen) who ordered him to find the stonemasons in Bailu would have killed him if he refused? Well, it was also mentioned that Chai was a watchdog of sorts, who kept an eye on them to ensure they completed the task set for them. When you think back to the events of Shenmue 1, the Mad Angels and the Chiyoumen were connected and Chai was lurking around in the shadows, almost like a watchdog, monitoring them. Charlie, Tony and Smith all mentioned that they would be killed if they were caught discussing the Mad Angels/Chiyoumen connection and the Long Zha, respectively. By stopping the Long Zha, Terry failed and may have be discarded by the chiyoumen for his failings. In my mind, Chai probably went back and reported Terry's failure and Charlie, Tony and Smith's snitching, resulting in them being killed for their misdeeds. Once the head of the gang was cut, the legs disbanded and the Mad Angels were no more...

Oh, I'd like to add that Chai could have been the one to do the dirty work. He is described as an assassin in the game's guide on the characters.

Last edited:
We are from the Czech Republic, and unfortunately whether our brothers are Slovaks or Czechs, I have not found anyone on the website who would like Shenmue 1-3, it is hated here. And on youtube, under every video, I find someone who swears at Shenmue and criticizes every thing.

It's almost like a sport: who will hate Shenmue the most.

Has this game received any worthwhile updates? Wasn't a fan of the game, but one other thing stopping me from playing it again is the awful QTEs.
I don’t know what you consider worthwhile updates? They patched ability to skip/forward dialogue which oddly was there at release but only triggered if you spoke to someone that day, thankfully that was remedied.

I am currently going through a replay now and Niaowu with the two DLC chapters feel a lot more fuller and rich (although the Blue Snakes stuff is weak narratively).

Sadly the QTE’s were never fixed. It’s the one area of the game I contend is truly broken. How it was play tested and released in its state still baffles me.

Last edited:
I wanna say it again.Shenmue 3 is a miracle.
The final product beyond its budget.
The story is a bit weak, but the gameplay experience is solid
I think Yu san can put more story in Ryo's dream or other place.

Ironically, had the QTEs been more doable, fans would have had an overall better Shenmue 3 experience and consequently replayed the game to deliberately miss the QTEs to see the failure states. Who knows how many fans have been put off replaying Shenmue 3 because of the ridiculously short QTE time limits.

Personal theory is they wanted people to see the (admittedly, fucking hilarious) failure states, which is why the QTE checkpoints are so forgiving.
The fails may be entertaining but it ruins for me the power fantasy of Ryo being a competent martial artist especially when you complete a long string of commands perfectly, which I find impossible in Shenmue 3 without memorizing the button prompts after failing. I’ve said it before it turns Ryo into Mr. Bean and for me it’s a bizarre design choice if deliberate.

I don’t know what you consider worthwhile updates? They patched ability to skip/forward dialogue which oddly was there at release but only triggered if you spoke to someone that day, thankfully that was remedied.

I am currently going through a replay now and Niaowu with the two DLC chapters feel a lot more fuller and rich (although the Blue Snakes stuff is weak narratively).

Sadly the QTE’s were never fixed. It’s the one area of the game I contend is truly broken. How it was play tested and released in its state still baffles me.
I actually find the timing on them to be not so bad once you know where they are and when they pop up. But yeah on first play through they were too abrupt and they never really fixed the timing on them to make them more forgiving. But on 2nd and 3rd playthrough I’ve found them to be more tolerable knowing where they are and when to react to them.

I’m finally playing through the PC version on and off right now. I have the classic camera mod and unlimited stamina mod turned on. While I never had as many qualms with the stamina system like some here did. I will say this; it is nice to have infinite run back at least.

my only issue with the stamina system was that it drained even when you were just standing still. I remember times waiting around for the fighting garden to reopen and you would look at the health and it would slowly be draining while just standing still. That always irked me about it. So it is kind of nice to have a playthrough that doesn’t have that issue anymore.

Also, can anyone tell me what the Herb Locaction dump is in the mod menu?

Also, I’m finally playing it with the English dub. I get the nostalgia of it but I’m just gonna say it. I’m not a fan of Corey’s Ryo. I’ve become so in tune with Masaya’s Ryo that I just can’t go back to Corey’s Ryo and I wouldn’t mind if they did change to the new Anime guy if they get a Shenmue IV going.

Controversial opinion and nothing personal against Corey Marshall. But as time goes on, I realise I’m not a fan of his Ryo.

I actually find the timing on them to be not so bad once you know where they are and when they pop up. But yeah on first play through they were too abrupt and they never really fixed the timing on them to make them more forgiving. But on 2nd and 3rd playthrough I’ve found them to be more tolerable knowing where they are and when to react to them.

I’m finally playing through the PC version on and off right now. I have the classic camera mod and unlimited stamina mod turned on. While I never had as many qualms with the stamina system like some here did. I will say this; it is nice to have infinite run back at least.

my only issue with the stamina system that it drained even when you were just standing still. I remember times waiting around for the fighting garden to reopen entires and you would look at the health and it would slowly be draining while just standing still. That always irked me about it. So it is kind of nice to have a playthrough that doesn’t have that issue anymore.

Also, can anyone tell me what the Herb Locaction dump is in the mod menu?

Also, I’m finally playing it with the English dub. I get the nostalgia of it but I’m just gonna say it. I’m not a fan of Corey’s Ryo. I’ve become so in Masaya’s Ryo that I just can’t go back to Corey’s Ryo and I wouldn’t mind if they did change to the new Anime guy if they get a Shenmue IV going.

Controversial opinion and nothing personally against Corey Marshall. But as time goes on, I realise I’m not a fan of his Ryo.
Some of the translations give off a completely different meaning, too. Like in the old castle the 'I can't believe we are friends' line is simply just 'You/You are...'. If a person only played the dub, they'd think about Ryo and Ren's relationship differently. I know I would be thinking 'aww sweet, Ryo's starting to acknowledge Ren is a friend', when he actually still seems wary of him in the original.

Even with Chai's reappearance, there was some confusion from fans who thought that it was strange that he learned Chai's name, because in the dub he calls himself the 'great Chai', instead of 'ore sama' in the original.

“Outrun sucks” is an active thread on Resetera. Now, 95% of the thread is backlash against the OP, but just remember the type of forum we’re talking about. I don’t get the internets obsession with proving Sega never released good games tho. Brought that up in the same thread.
More reason not to give a singular damn about REEset Era.

Outrun sucks? Please!

Last edited:
There are two painting in ShenHua's house in S2. And the dialogue between Ryo and ShenHua hint lots of mystery.
But in S3, two painting are missed. So Yu-San just cut those content or simply forget them?
[T1}O6Q`{]XL8F5}NZ8C_$1.png

There are two painting in ShenHua's house in S2. And the dialogue between Ryo and ShenHua hint lots of mystery.
But in S3, two painting are missed. So Yu-San just cut those content or simply forget them?
View attachment 14803
Luoyang, the tapestry they are looking at in the picture, is mentioned by Shenhua directly in some dialogue, but it is buried pretty deep in Bailu, and you have to finish most of the conversation paths to hear it. The place in the mountains seems to be the same place as the cliff temple, but I could be wrong. I used to be more concerned about those locations being cut, but they just wouldn't have the same weight if they were included at the very beginning of Shenmue III, I feel.

Back