Shenmunity - Shenmue in Unity

It actually works in VR... it's pretty cool to visit the Hazuki house in person after all these years!
Now you have to connect all maps and include a VR motorbike so we can drive from the house to the docks (I will create a sakuragauka 2 dobuita roads) TBH VR is perfect for Shenmue espeically VR fights hehe

Since the last shenmunity update I have no idea how to load models, can you update the instructions please :)

Er... nothing should have changed regarding models. What are you seeing?
After opening the shenmunity master in unity I used to be able to select shenmunity from this list

If I open a test scene this appears, the house is displayed as wireframe and all the others are blank
I assume this is something to do whith re-adding shenmunity as a sub-module.. whatever that means (says missing mono script)

Last edited:
Mmmm... looks like git submodules aren't as seamless as they could be. You need to run these two commands:

git submodule init
git submodule update

Mmmm... looks like git submodules aren't as seamless as they could be. You need to run these two commands:

git submodule init
git submodule update
in unity? pls explain how

Is it possible to import this mod into unreal engine 4?
The basic principle would be the same but im sure coding them is quite different

Oh... How are you downloading this? Just as a zip? In that case you need to get the latest plugin version from https://github.com/Fishbiter/Shenmunity_plugin and extract to Assets/Plugins/Shenmunity.
(This is intended to make it easier to use the plugin in other projects... maybe not very successful!)
OK took time to figure this out lol , that link is an outdated plugin because it doesnt show the new GDI file names, copying the plugin folder from the commit 'various fixes' and adding that to the asset folder works (or just loading the shenMaster folder)

Its all great stuff , really appricated

If you're not seeing the filenames make sure you haven't got the Shenmunity folder twice (i.e. it must be Assets/Plugins/Shenmunity, not Assets/Plugins/Shenmunity/Shenmunity).

It would be possible to re-write this to work with Unreal, but it would be a porting job, there's no automatic way to do it. What's wrong with Unity?

Finally, added AFS support... I need some away from screen time now! :p

1537038175205.png

If you're not seeing the filenames make sure you haven't got the Shenmunity folder twice (i.e. it must be Assets/Plugins/Shenmunity, not Assets/Plugins/Shenmunity/Shenmunity).
Finally, added AFS support... I need some away from screen time now! :p

There seems to be less data, the prolouge & Land Di afs seem to be ok, not sure where the humans.afs , I'd still prefer to be able to select a location folder and is contents, but it doesnt matter for now youve earned a 5 min break x

Last edited:
That means it's not finding Names.txt. That file must exist at Assets/Plugins/Shenmunity/Names.txt .... There's fewer options because it now hides all the duplicated files)

I got names working again, but the list is still missing many files the humans goes upto file_123, there should be 369 and with ' show duplicates' it should show 3 sets of 'humans.afs' (the pks/f inside are not gz compressed)

with the names list it means that duplicates dont really matter because you can just group folder/path structures together, and it wont hide anything useful by mistake

Its odd in the PC humans.afs the pks/f are just called (num) file with no pks/f extension, but the dreamcast one shows the characters names and they have the same file size, Its also odd that with 2 duplicate file finders i used they both ignored the afs files as being duplicates

I tried swapping this AFS with the prolouge .AFS and they also dont show in the list ...I feel like on a previous build there was a 'next page' on the assets list ? but take your time , dont get annoyed and quit :p ta x

Last edited:
EPIC, I have the official shenmue character book with all their bios, now I have santa and can work on a Xmas special (err for 2019 :p ) I think there are also some characters that were removed from shenmue 1 and didnt make it to shenmue 2, theres a lot of clothes cloning for the 70 man battle punks lol, I look forward to meeting them all in VR too :D
chars.jpg
https://sites.google.com/site/shenmuemods/shenmue-i/character-ids-models

Last edited:

EDIT UPDATE: old obsolete information removed

Last edited:
This is really INCREDIBLE. Wow. I'm blown away by all this.

Shenmue VR.

Wow.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its odd in the PC humans.afs the pks/f are just called (num) file with no pks/f extension, but the dreamcast one shows the characters names and they have the same file size, Its also odd that with 2 duplicate file finders i used they both ignored the afs files as being duplicates

1) Since the humans.afs is in the scene/0x/stream folder, check the version from the japanese files; I removed them before I really figured out my workflow, since I didn't need to touch them, but I'm pretty sure it's still in the audio .tac/.tad files.

2) pcdc from the SARP toolset https://github.com/Davidokuro/SARP-Toolset might help make sense of what the hell each file is, with some modification. I'm a little burnt out on Shenmue II, and it's really fighting me to the point where I don't know how viable restoration is from me (I need more, better-at-RAM-watching eyes than mine on it I think), maybe I'll take a look into it tomorrow.

The humans.afs issue was because they're named file_1 etc in the afs file. The names are in an external idx file. It's very odd!

I've been bashing my head against the MOTN files. I'm fairly sure I've decoded them correctly (due to sizes etc.) but they don't seem to make any sense :(

As a side effect I think I can automate the avatar creation now (I haven't coded it up yet) but the motion files are really resisting comprehension...

Last edited:
The humans.afs issue was because they're named file_1 etc in the afs file. The names are in an external idx file. It's very odd!

Right, and this is an issue that (as far as I’ve seen) is exclusive to the US dub of Shenmue 1. At any rate, you could use a clever edit of pcdc to compare the contents of the DC humans.afs and the PC humans.afs, rename the latter to be the same as the former, and spit out a CSV detailing what matches up with what, thus making trawling through .idx unnecessary

Back