Shenmunity - Shenmue in Unity

I think the canon is that the Mad Angels found out about Nozomi when she came to the docks to take a polaroid, but Metal Gear: Nozomi sounds like a good idea :D
Or maybe someone can end up making Shenmue chapter 2 boat scene.
Every shenmue fan wet dream lol.
I remember fans tried to work on it and never complete it.
Even through It would be like actual game but would be interesting.

There is only one small change required to shencon's MT5 loader to get to parity with this tool, so that's a more sensible route to getting a working exporter than going via Unity...! I think @MystR is looking at back-porting this...?

Are you able to update Heliwigs MT5Converter ?
or
@MysticR is looking at that , or re-importing MT5s into Shenmue1PC?

Great tool, amazing stuff and just all around great usage. Can confirm it works on Unity 2018.2.6 (latest)
I'm amazed at how fast models get searched and loaded.
Any idea how to extract models to fbx/obj ? The Unity plugin for fbx doesn't work (since I guess it's a reference of an asset and not an actual mesh) or am I wrong ?

Are you able to update Heliwigs MT5Converter ?
or
@MysticR is looking at that , or re-importing MT5s into Shenmue1PC?

I believe he's looking at updating Heliwigs MT5 converter... but I don't want to make any promises on his behalf!

Great tool, amazing stuff and just all around great usage. Can confirm it works on Unity 2018.2.6 (latest)
I'm amazed at how fast models get searched and loaded.
Any idea how to extract models to fbx/obj ? The Unity plugin for fbx doesn't work (since I guess it's a reference of an asset and not an actual mesh) or am I wrong ?

It is an actual mesh, so I'm not sure what's going on there... which plug-in are you looking at?

As I said above this isn't really the ideal way to get models into 3D packages!

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/fbx-exporter-101408

The one that unity provides. There's not a reference of the mesh in the renderer, so where's it creating it ?
The OBJ export is outdated and not working , I just tried this FBX one and when I hit export it doesnt work

Edit : got it to work , you have to 'set mesh collider visible for all nodes' before export
You can set the mesh mode to skinned, static, or individual parts, but setting individual then the body parts move out of allignment, I dont know if the bonestructure is intact

workable, but an updated MT5 Converter would be better than doing this :p

Last edited:
You may find you're exporting the collision meshes, so they won't have UV/normals.

I'm not sure why this doesn't work - it produces correct geometry if I set the model to "static" or "individual" mesh mode, but it doesn't seem to include the textures.

Is there a way I can choose a new file path and/or different archive
Id also like to be able to search for hashes (that ive identified as models)
also be able to sort hashes/file size etc
It would also be good if I could just point it to a folder of .MT5 / .models.
It seems to be locked onto Shenmue/Disk directory

Im currently trying to view models from the dreamcast Passport disk in Unity. I might be able to swap DC models and recompile the TAD/TAC but then I need to re-locate them in unity

You could drop the tac/tad files alongside the shenmue 1 tac/tad files - it just walks that directory.

I'll add sorting etc. when I get a chance. Pulling models from somewhere else would be a bit of work...

You could drop the tac/tad files alongside the shenmue 1 tac/tad files - it just walks that directory.
I had some trouble rebuilding tad/tacs, but If derplayers mini tad/tac builder works that should help a lot indentifying models.

I did just have a thought (in another post) is Shenmunity able to open PKS(model containers) and PKF(respective textures)?
The Vast majority of Buildings and level environments are in map.map files within PKS archives, I was surpirsed to see Beta Dobuita (snowy) Beta Yamanose(different shrine) and Beta Sakuragouka (long through-road to moutain) but I just rememberd that in the dreamcast they were just MT5 files containing the textures. Map.map files are MT5s but without textures they are loaded from their respective PKFs. (Shenmue environments are like seperate 'Levels' which is why there are multiple copies of environments, but also unused beta stuff , so thats good)

If Shenmunity doesnt , I should be able to create custom archives of model data... but then It would have to search for texture files, Heliwigs PKF extractor works for giving them the correct material names (but sometimes they are black and white.. and flipped or not flipped .. i forget I just used ImBatch a lot to flip them to fit models, PVR dissector works best for getting the correct colours but not correct names) WinPVR is an excellent PVR editor & helps removing transparency of the beta/saturn models

Last edited:
Sounds like something I should look into... I did wonder where Dobuita had got to!

btw, I added some sorting options...

I just did a quick comparison and found the main Doubuita PKS/F

Some PKS/PKF are contained within simple compressed files (their filename says PKS/F but they are actually .gz i think) this currently shows why ShenmueModTools isnt identifying all of the PKS/PKF.
IPAC Browser opens both compressed & uncompressed PKS files
Dobuita is comprised of 23 .map files and additional map layers , for lights, windows, (day and night) snow, xmas, easter, valentines? decorations etc

--------where signatures at?---------------------------------------------------------------
This ain't no disco. It ain't no country club either
:)

Last edited:
EDIT UPDATED:
Additionally on Dreamcast the intro Cutscenes were contained within .AFS archives

OP02.AFS= Shenhuas intro
OP00.AFS= LanDis home invasion

The AFS sizes are different for the PC, either they are modified or have a higher compresson

Shenhua's Intro = 1477.afs
LanDi HomeInvasion = 1475.afs

Within these AFS , contains the usual PKS and PKF files

Last edited:
Wow, this looks so awesome! I have to big problems to create Alpha-Textures for the leafs for game engines. This looks really cool. :-)

I just did a quick comparison and found the main Doubuita PKS/F

Some PKS/PKF are contained within simple compressed files (their filename says PKS/F but they are actually .gz i think) this currently shows why ShenmueModTools isnt identifying all of the PKS/PKF.
View attachment 1127
IPAC Browser opens both compressed & uncompressed PKS files
Dobuita is comprised of 23 .map files and additional map layers , for lights, windows, (day and night) snow, xmas, easter, valentines? decorations etc
View attachment 1128
--------where signatures at?---------------------------------------------------------------
This ain't no disco. It ain't no country club either
:)
Is there a central repository of this kind of information? E.g. is the map format known?

That is INCREDIBLE! thank you so much for this.

Do you think it will have compatibility with .mt7 files eventually?

Is there a central repository of this kind of information? E.g. is the map format known?
I'm not a C++ coder of any kind, Ive simply spent ages extracting everything and looking at all the maps (the ride to the docks and the ride home are totally different #fakenews)

An MT5 file has a HRCM header. The .MAP files are HCM files without containing textures, Certain objects and all beta stuff is an MT5 with the PVR texture conjoined.

Heliwigs converter worked best with MAP & HCM, It will still crash with certain files, I suspect its an animation issue, Street lamps 'bulb' meshes will stretch out on some maps because the light mesh is flipped at night (so for that obj mesh there is an issue) but looking at the conversion log it would also crash due to failed texture pointers or something to do with textures which is frustrating since i care more about the model structure. The roads use an unusual (lightwave?) mirroring texture method, and some placed objects lack the correct XYZ roatation (but placement was correct)

Yazgoo laid the bare bones of an MT5 structure , but I suspect that because they vary slightly it was too hard to pin down.
mt5_structure.png

Tons of info about general ShenDC modding here(since most files are the same info will still apply)
https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/dreamcast-shenmue-modding-knowledge.395/

My Xentax post about MT5 and MT7, links to MT5 info (originally in 2010) Links to resource info
http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4593&p=39496#p39496

MT7 Progress with source info
http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11482
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47035

fCixsgUl.png

If you run a hex scan on a Shenmue1 object (a capusle toy) against a Shenmue2 identical object, the model data is identical but for Shenmue2 there is additional information included in the MT7, I dont think MT7 conversion will be such a stretch its just lacked people interested enough to have a go

Last edited:
Reactions: Ren
Real HD Passport Models (Not in PC version) copied over to Disk archive
WishRoad Park
wishpark.png

Shenhua's park
shenfield.png

HD Gollum
gollum.png

HD Ryo
realryo.png

HD Xiuying
xuh2.jpg

HD Old guy
oldguy.jpg

and the Nerd Crew
SCwcakx.gif

Shenmunity wont read the Mini Mod tad/tac archives so i just rebuilt the disk.archive, there are a couple of things in 'whats shenmue' that arnt anywhere else (Shenhua has a different 'passport' map location) i will do more when the models can be converted with UVs, getting a .MOT interpreter for body animations would be badass too :p

Last edited:
Back