Shenmunity - Shenmue in Unity

Over the weekend I started on a Unity asset that can load shenmue models directly from your Shenmue install into a Unity scene. The loading code is based on https://github.com/hellwig/shencon (which seems to be the most complete model loader). Last night I figured out the skinned models, so I present my first Shenmunity creation:

"Nozomi visits Russiya China Shop"
NozomiTea.PNG

I've got this idea of Shenmue-as-a-platform for making games etc. Unlike most games they made everything so you have a complete little town with characters to tell stories in, like a playset I guess... It's early days now, but that's what I think I'm doing! The intention is that the final build of the Unity project will still source the assets from the Shenmue install, which makes it probably as Sega-friendly as it could be?

I'll probably do a source release at the weekend, there's a few things I need to fix first.

This will give me wet dreams. And not because Nozomi is in the scene, just because I'm a nerd.

So does it copy the bones and similar into Unity when it loads scenes and characters directly? I feel sure the answer must be no?

It copies the bones, but they don't have names...

There's not really "scenes" or "characters" yet... just a big soup of models. It looks like most individual characters or locations are single models though so you can make scenes like this one...

Myself and a few other guys around 2010-11 on the old forums were hoping for perfectly ripped models to put into Garry's Mod so we could pose scenes like these and the community could make Shenmue comics. I would like to see something like that done so people could use the models in Source Filmmaker to REALLY create amazing machinima. That way noobs like me could do stuff with them in Gmod, or pros could use them in Source Filmmaker.

Wait.. so your saying you have your own model converter ?
TBH i couldnt care less about unity but If I could have a converter that will convert the MT5s into a 3D format 100% It sure would save me a lot of time and Ive been at this for 10 years now

TBHA.. I took a break 1 year and half ago waiting for Shenmue PC :p

Yes, but as I say it's just a port of shencon, so it's very much "shoulders of giants". I've made some improvements (the main one is supporting skinning) but it still doesn't load everything without errors...

Yes, but as I say it's just a port of shencon, so it's very much "shoulders of giants". I've made some improvements (the main one is supporting skinning) but it still doesn't load everything without errors...
Im always singing the praises of Yazgoo and Heliwig..(although perhaps they gave up too soon lol) I once got a decent rip of Ryos father with correct roatational joints for arms and legs but getting a complete character like that is amazing (main chararcters are built slightly different to the general public characters and Nozomi is a vampire)

Very interesting.

Also, happy to see this place so alive. I haven't visited since they announced Shenmue III I think :)

That is freaking amazing .. but I dont know how github works, I can download the master.zip but I assume this need to be compiled , Is there a compiled release I can use with Unity ?

EDIT: Thats also the Beta Shrine+Beta Sak ! , Is that in the PC release or did you move it from dreamcast?

There's not really anything to compile. master.zip will be a Unity project, so it should just open...

This is the vanilla PC release... Maybe they never removed the beta assets?

This is the vanilla PC release... Maybe they never removed the beta assets?
They left the beta stuff In the Dreamcast version too, I guess they wernt too concerned with cutting anything out of the directory structure.

I've had a look and the Shenmunity project has loaded, Ive also never used Unity before so I'm probabally going to need a tutorial, I will youtube it.

I could ask a ton of questions but for now, I'd really just like to be able convert characters into human bone structures so I can re-model them in 3DS max, once the are loaded (and after Ive found them) is it possible to export an asset from unity into a 3D format?

I think there is a lot of potential for this project and its quite amazeballs ! x

Last edited:
It works really well, Im still figuring out the basics of unity

The shenmunity master Nozomi Chinashop doesnt load because the recent update renamed the files, in addition to loading 'hashes' from ShenPC is it possible to just import MT5s ?

Last edited:
EDIT: Info Update
ShenmuePC contains all the same files from the first 3 DC disks, which also includes beta (possibily sega saturn) characters (inc some from shenmue2), The PVRs for the beta characters have a level of transparency which can be removed with WinPVR image program

Last edited:
That was my bad - I've changed it to ignore the hash part of the filename but I didn't update the example scene.

There is only one small change required to shencon's MT5 loader to get to parity with this tool, so that's a more sensible route to getting a working exporter than going via Unity...! I think @MystR is looking at back-porting this...?

Meanwhile, I got avatars working in unity, so now you can go third person!

That was my bad - I've changed it to ignore the hash part of the filename but I didn't update the example scene.

There is only one small change required to shencon's MT5 loader to get to parity with this tool, so that's a more sensible route to getting a working exporter than going via Unity...! I think @MystR is looking at back-porting this...?

Meanwhile, I got avatars working in unity, so now you can go third person!

Cool chai Mod.
Now can you make Fukusan?
A Nozomi mod stalking Ryo like she did in the game would also be interesting! She did even through Ryo almost never notice her.
She Stalk him to apartments, even knew where he worked and went there!
As well knew when Ryo was spending time with the kitty and got jealous as well. Probably that is how Chai found out about her when he was following Ryo.

I think the canon is that the Mad Angels found out about Nozomi when she came to the docks to take a polaroid, but Metal Gear: Nozomi sounds like a good idea :D

Back