Shenmunity - Shenmue in Unity

Hi there, Shencommunity. It's been a long time since you cared for me at Dr.Gasse Laboratory. Now, thanks to my new evolution stage, I got human-like hands. So I can enjoy Shenmue at last.
What a wonderful sharing... We owe you, @Fishbiter .
Am I the only one willing to run this but not being able to find ShenHD installation? Im using Unity 2018.2.0b6 and my game folder is in steamapps>common (TACreader.cs seems to be set for search at that location, even tried to mod that part but screwed it up) Help please, I just can't let this be. Thank you all in advance.
SOLVED: Must be installed in "steamapps>common>SMLaunch" in order to fetch "sm1/archives/dx11/data" TAD/TAC files.

Last edited:
Finally got some time to look at this. It now supports PAKS and PAKF (including gzipped). There's a lot more assets now!
Its really great stuff, but could this be changed to identify 'loose' mt5/pks/f etc' not contained within a tac?
It would be quicker than adding passport data and 'whats shenmue' data into a tac

also There are 2 scenes and all of the 'humans' (muggles) contained within AFS archives (it would also be quicker to extract the afs rather than getting shenmunity to open them , either way this is still very epic, I will recreate my road path from sakuragauka to dobuita and then you can combine all maps together in unity :p

Well... I've managed to reverse engineer the CHRT format. These are the scene files. You can now load whole scenes with (most?) props in the correct locations!

Here's the Hazuki house:

Bad news: The house interior doesn't fit in the house exterior. Childhood ruined!

1536790849833.png

Some things are missing. I think these are likely "loose" models... because of the whole hash system we don't know their "true names" so we can't summon them!

Some things are just left at the origin. I guess these are things that would be controlled by scripts. e.g. you can see Fuku-san's broom hovering in the middle of Iwao's room.

Edit: Performance fixed!

Last edited:
If you look at the beta house( im sure they left it for the yamanose map) but the front only had 1 window, also the exterior is glass and the interior is paper.
Ive spent many hours re-designing the Hazuki house interior and exterior to match, and adding missing rooms/halls but really I want it to look like this

High Exterior wall (not bamboo)
h1.jpg

Updated interior
h3.jpg
With upper rooms
h4.jpg

The 'common' home items is 793, however this is just for disc 1 , disk 2 is different , it contains Fuksans money or something like that , i think 3 is the same as 2, im only checking disk 1 files at the moment.

Either by seeing the offsets or their actual names , there should be a way to get a list of the (2nd tier) items, it seems like many of the loose items have loaded, unless you did that manually?

Shenhuas prolouge is a nice map too, ive never seen it fully textured but its Massive, theres a lake with a fishing dock, and 80% of the entire map isnt seen in the intro. (Lanscape PKS/F EDIT is duplicated within an AFS archive)

The original old warehouse district (beta) used to be the first left when going inside the harbour area but they moved it further back for the main game, There are a few variations of the Harbour buildings layout too

The race to the Docks and the cinematic ride home are different road maps.

There is a random variation where Ryo's bed is made, Also there are a few items different about Ryo's room in the LanDi intro (also in AFS) .. Tissues on his desk, he is human, but for some reason all of his fighting trophys are in a closet..

Also the Exterior of the Dojo is Square .. but inside its rectangle .. hmmm

Last edited:
The level of redundancy in the data is pretty high. As well as having the same file 3 times (once per disk), within the paks files assets are often duplicated (e.g. Ryu's giant arms for use in interactions are in most scene files).

How come you have an image of the DC filesystem? Is the TAD format new for the re-release?

How come you have an image of the DC filesystem? Is the TAD format new for the re-release?

Yes the Tad is new, TBH i suggest downloading the GDI's of Shenmue 1 (IF YOU OWN THE GAME!)
GD-ROM Explorer can extract the file system (GDI Builder will rebuild it for Dreamcast modding)
I just use 'SearchMyFile' program to find duplicates between PC and DC

Also Im not sure if it matters but not 'all' pks/pkf are gz compressed
The LanDi Intro pkf and pks are stored within an AFS but they themselves arent gz compressed (they also dont have a pkf/pks extension)
and Shenhuas intro PKF/S also exists outside of the AFS but also not gz compressed (which i think is why i cant currently find it in unity)

Last edited:
Yes the Tad is new, TBH i suggest downloading the GDI's of Shenmue 1 (IF YOU OWN THE GAME!)
GD-ROM Explorer can extract the file system (GDI Builder will rebuild it for Dreamcast modding)
I just use 'SearchMyFile' program to find duplicates between PC and DC

Also Im not sure if it matters but not 'all' pks/pkf are gz compressed
The LanDi Intro pkf and pks are stored within an AFS but they themselves arent gz compressed (they also dont have a pkf/pks extension)
and Shenhuas intro PKF/S also exists outside of the AFS but also not gz compressed (which i think is why i cant currently find it in unity)

Didn't realise that... I wonder why they bothered? In the old days you used to hash identifiers for size, but these days it's hardly necessary. Maybe it's a deliberate attempt to obfuscate things?

In that case it's probably trivial to reverse the hashes (I expect most files will be identical). I'll look into that when I next get a chance...

I wonder why they bothered? In the old days you used to hash identifiers for size, but these days it's hardly necessary. Maybe it's a deliberate attempt to obfuscate things?
I dont think It was done to prevent modding or RevEngineering, I think its just more of a byproduct of 'emulating' the original Dreamcast game structure with the the PC game engine while adding new features Updated HUD, re-encoded and additional Audio and 'save game anywhere' etc, so I suppose just dumping all files into 1 archive and then using a 'virtual' hash/file structure list for the engine to locate files was ..easier ?
I'm pretty sure that the Dreamcast structure is just a modified Sega Saturn Structure. If they had 'really' overhauled the game (for an actual HD upgrade) there would just be 1 map for each location, 1 model for each character etc, no beta stuff and the game size would be 1/3 smaller.

Extracting the Unity Models into an obj/fbx/3ds format fully textured would make my current project much quicker, Once all the models are combined and layed out they could be imported anywhere.

However I do feel that you are creating the groundwork for an actual game editor (had a dream you got characters to play their default daily animations last night lol) Even if importing new models into the game is never possible, combing maps and swapping existing models, creating new doors to link to areas ( shengoro86 was working on that for his Exploration maps) would basically mean that Ryo could keep the cat in his house .. and I think thats all we really want.

Just a few Beta house pix (because ive been obsessed with the house for years lol)

BETA_VS_HOUSE_FRONTj.jpg

Original vs Beta house front

INTRO_BACKj.jpg

BETA2_WINDj.jpg

The rear of the house in the intro shows windows which would have been for Fuksans, Ine and TV room, but in the beta it shows the sliding doors, (typically all traditional japanese house rooms are surrounded by corridors, with internal rooms connected by internal sliding doors, like Inesans room connecting to the tv room) You can also clearly see the pointless empty space inside the house , so even the basic shape of the house isnt the same on the outside

betakitchen.png

Sliding door into Shrine room and the Kitchen was WAY better like this ( I just blame backface culling/game memory issues on the dreamcast for them removing this 2nd set of doors)

SATURNCARTj.jpg

and a pic of Ryo's room from the LanDi Intro (Ryo's sega saturn had an upgrade cartridge ... probably needed to play Shenmue on the Saturn lol)
Also Saturn Diferences, rear of the house like beta, different location for secret basement door/hatch etc, additional road along side the hazuki residence
The nerd crew would also approve :p

Last edited:
i could create a list showing which PKS belong to which maps, but I really think it would be simpler to get unity to just read an extracted Dreamcast GDI file system (or non tad/tac archive folder)

Last edited:
That was a good hint - I was able to identify about 70% of files by comparing their CRC to the dreamcast release. Missing were shaders (unsurprisingly), some DXBC, DDS and DPTK files. Presumably these are all new files for the re-release. There were some APS files missed and exactly 1 PKF (unfortunately not one I can load atm)

Thank you for keep working on this.With small steps it improved into a very enjoyable plugin.
Has anybody pulled out Megumi's full model?I only get her head.
Any hidden interiors in retail maps so far?The ShenHua's intro map its amazing, I wonder why they modeled such a thing for nothing...not very gamedev usual.
Edit: Wha.. I've found a goat and a rabbit models, are those ingame? Hashes are 3E43DDA1/A5EFDFDA.

Last edited:
1)Has anybody pulled out Megumi's full model?I only get her head.
2|Any hidden interiors in retail maps so far?The ShenHua's intro map its amazing, I wonder why they modeled such a thing for nothing...not very gamedev usual.
3)Edit: Wha.. I've found a goat and a rabbit models, are those ingame? Hashes are 3E43DDA1/A5EFDFDA.
noz.jpg
1) Once Shenmunity can open the 'Humans.afs' file all characters will be available as individual files and not part of scene files, and much easier to locate
afs.jpg
2) havent found any other secret basements yet, Shops with mirrors are cool. Generally YuSuz's goal was to think Big and Grand, and he did well except for managing the $$$ budget

3) They exist as capsule toys in Shenmue 2 (and passport disc online trades?),
http://shenmue.wikia.com/wiki/Shenmue/Collection_Datasheets
The goat is also seen in a shenmue 2 shenhua/ryo squence

Last edited:
I've finally got enough Shenmunity pieces in place to reveal my ulterior motive!

Presenting... Virtual Ryulity

Wow, that is very impressive. Does this actually work in VR? or is it being played on a monitor? I think this has massive potential, especially if you can make the interaction with the environments less jumpy. Great job

My favorite part

giphy.gif

Now we know why Ryo didnt go for Nozomi. He's a milf man......or gilf man...............nevermind....

It actually works in VR... it's pretty cool to visit the Hazuki house in person after all these years!

Back