General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

I wish one could buy street food. Tom's hotdogs, or from a stand in Hong Kong/Kowloon. I'd enjoy that.

Love that they use full on traditional characters for the most part, especially signs etc.

Also, what's your favorite street gamble? For me it must be the dice game of bird, moon, flower, wind ... and it is best with the young girl off Dragon st. dunno why but I remember it so well from 17 years ago and it was just as nice this time around.

Yeah it’d be nice to actually be able to purchase and consume items but I guess they decided there wasn’t really any point.

Has the winning can been removed from the Freestay lodge in Shenmue 2? Oh and is there a way to consistently parry attacks in Shenmue 2?
Yeah all the toys in seem to be missing when you start the game from a cleared file. Well, I had the Ferry and both Forklifts in my collections already. When I started from scratch they were all there.
I haven't checked back yet but I don't think this is how the DC version worked. The Xbox version, wich the port is based on, never had the option so they had to add this in and who knows what it caused.

Yeah all the toys in seem to be missing when you start the game from a cleared file. Well, I had the Ferry and both Forklifts in my collections already. When I started from scratch they were all there.
I haven't checked back yet but I don't think this is how the DC version worked. The Xbox version, wich the port is based on, never had the option so they had to add this in and who knows what it caused.

If you have the Blue Forklift or Red Forklift in your collection already, they don't appear in the Free Stay Lodge. This is how it worked in the Dreamcast version too.

i started Shenmue 2 today on PS4 with my Shenmue 1 save file.
graphics are good but the sound in general is all over the place.
sometimes the music is super loud, even if you put it on 30%. some tracks have some weird reverb effect,
in some tracks it sounds like its double layered, some tracks are totally out of tune.
joy's music is totally distorted.

and the voice quality (japanese) changes all the time.
you ask the guy in the basement at the harbor about directions = bad audio quality
you ask the same guy about the gambling he is offering = "good" sound quality
you knock at the door in the yan tin apartments = ryo's voice samples in good quality
you trigger a cutscene in the yan tin apartments = bad audio quality

almost like the bitrate changes in every scene.
its not unplayable but really distracting.

sometimes the music is super loud, even if you put it on 30%. some tracks have some weird reverb effect,
in some tracks it sounds like its double layered, some tracks are totally out of tune.

you ask the guy in the basement at the harbor about directions = bad audio quality
you knock at the door in the yan tin apartments = ryo's voice samples in good quality

Having played through Shenmue 2 on my PS4, I say wait to see if the patch that's due this week fixes the audio. It is terrible in SO MANY places. The only zone in the game that I didn't experience this garbage was Guilin.

It's a strange phenomenom for me. Actually i save in envery game i play, specially on PC. And what happens to me in almost every 2nd session playing Shenmue I and II: I forgot to save the game! This happens three times to me.^^ What an embarrassment. ;-) I try to get the 1000 Dollars for street fight with Greg and moving crates. :-)

Having played through Shenmue 2 on my PS4, I say wait to see if the patch that's due this week fixes the audio. It is terrible in SO MANY places. The only zone in the game that I didn't experience this garbage was Guilin.

It's almost as if the devs was like, no matter what we can't F up disc 4. Disc 4 was a perfect experience for me. Much like how I remember it back on DC.

I crossed the final checkpoint into the 5th and last level of Hang-On with 0 seconds left and I failed... ffs. I even used that trick where you're supposed to crash into the letter G to get 20 extra seconds or so and it's still extremely difficult to complete. It doesn't help that you lose like 5 of those bonus seconds anyway just to watch that stupid animation of your bike exploding.

I think that once I come back from the beach I will be regressing the PS4 issues instead of playing them properly

i know the first game used 2 different bitrates/sample rates whatever you call it for voice acting, so the 2nd probs does as well.

I don't mean to sound dramatic but over the past few weeks I've actually found checking these forums kind of depressing and I think it's reducing my excitement for Shenmue's return. I realise the negativity about the ports comes from a passionate place, but I like to look on the bright side of things and it feels almost impossible to do that on here at the moment. So, I'm going to take a break and let the old positivity gauge refill a bit (y)

I don't mean to sound dramatic but over the past few weeks I've actually found checking these forums kind of depressing and I think it's reducing my excitement for Shenmue's return. I realise the negativity about the ports comes from a passionate place, but I like to look on the bright side of things and it feels almost impossible to do that on here at the moment. So, I'm going to take a break and let the old positivity gauge refill a bit (y)
I hope the break helps.

For what it's worth I've seen many positive comments all over the internet about the games. I'm not going to sit here and say the games aren't without fault, some significant, which need resolving.

The passion of this fanbase is nothing short of extraordinary, it's the reason we've got the HD releases. And that same fanbase wants these games to be right. But let's not forget where we came from, those dark days in the 2000's until 2015. Where all hope was lost but eventually we got what we wanted.

Could these ports have been delayed to ensure quality? Absolutely! Should they have been? Most would say yes. We're sales affected who knows. Shenmue is a niche game and I think whatever happened it would have dropped off the UK charts within 2 weeks (as an example) anyway.

People absolutely need to report bugs but let's take stock for a moment. We have Shenmue on modern consoles. 3 is coming and I believe it will surprise many. Who would have said that to be true only 3/4 years back.

I'm a glass half full kind of guy. Let's look at the positives, don't forget the issues but take everything on balance here.

Essay over!

Is Yu-san at TGS?!

Back