General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

So didn't finish the Fangmei B-day event, was too rushed (is it date predicated? Cause got all the other stuff, the Ryo-San, the "help" at Man Mo bistro...), but still when saying good bye I went by the apartments and had stuff given. I thought you had to do the b-day thingy and now I feel awful haha, like I didn't give her that and still... Also, Ryo promises he'll be back, maybe we'll be back in HK in a later game? I'd love that!

IF you watch the digital foundry reveiws on both games , im sure they mentioned how the gfx are not as good as the first game due to the scale.

But yeah i agree with you, I immediatly noticed the drop in gfx too , usually i play them further apart so dont notice.

One thing thats really jarring to me is the water effct in the harbour from the xbox version, it looks cheap and plasticy. Reminds me on something from blue stinger. Can someone mod the dc texture effect back in i wonder? It matches the rest of the gfx better.

Voice animations are definitely worse, especially Ryo. Probs a result as Eng VA being xbox only.

Also I dont like how 'useless' the world feels in hong kong in shenmue 2. The areas way larger, but most of it has no use. I know it was sort of the same in shenmue 1, but most of the places/shops/restaurents/bars etc were used for story parts etc , had cutscenes in them etc.

I think its as a result of the game going from less to chapters to more chapters.

I still love the game though, just saying the things i noticed that werent as good :)
I quite like how the emptiness fits in with the plot though. Yes HK feels oversized and unfamiliar, and I think that it reflects how detached Ryo would feel having left cosy Yokosuka for a big foreign city.
One thing HK does have is a completely different vibe in each qr to capture the flavours of the city; I always liked that. YS is obviously a huge admirer of the city.

TFW you are rocking back and forth in the fetal position wanting to play Shenmue HD and waiting on console patches and if they will actually fix everything.
LOL They won't ever be that though. They might improve some stuff still but being real these won't be up to my personal standard of a top knotch port.

If it took 3 years to get what we got, a few more months could fix a few things but I don't think D3T have the time or resources to make these definitive versions even if they can get some people that know a fair bit about the DC and Shenmue on team and even then they are still pressed for time.
They an't miracle makers.

If one was being "picky" about these ports they would point out even in patch 3 on PC, the training is still buggy, the saving glitching out or/and curropting, the odd crash, weird sfx glitches, minor graphical glitches, bad volumes on voices/music mix, space harrier toy still can't be won, and that's just a few off the top with Shenmue 1.

Since these are two games they have twice the work to do!!

So Shenmue 2 still needs a audio rehaul, from english voices in fights, to bad music and JP voices, darts fixing, that crushed blacks which is used to hide graphical issues, various problems with the arcade games, QTE's acting weird, random crashes, to again name a few. I watched a streamer who's game crashed on the Don Niu fight after he failed the final QTE and his last save was hours back.
"RAGE QUIT" :whistle:

Some are also plain funny like the capsule toys at the harbor turning or the first person view if you finsh the fork lift job while in that view.
For me a slow paced game like Shenmue with these little "minor" annoyances can be overlooked for a while (being a fan and all) but it makes a relaxing experience just become annoying if I roll a bunch of 1's on these bugs in a row. I'm no fan of bethasda or that ilk of buggy releases so if Shenmue had these issue's back on the DC release I doubt I would be a fan now of this series so I can't hand on heart tell people to buy these knowing they are getting a iffy replica of a all-time great.

I say play them just to get a understanding of the port then you can make your own mind up from your experience or get your money back and pretend this release never happened, and await greatness from the man himself Yu Suzuki with Shenmue 3.

I quite like how the emptiness fits in with the plot though. Yes HK feels oversized and unfamiliar, and I think that it reflects how detached Ryo would feel having left cosy Yokosuka for a big foreign city.
One thing HK does have is a completely different vibe in each qr to capture the flavours of the city; I always liked that. YS is obviously a huge admirer of the city.
I get more familiar with it as time goes on in the game, but by then its time to leave for kowloon. I guess what im saying is there should of been more story in hong kong. Also should of been able to buy a map of the whole place so you can see how they connect easier, would help with familiarising with the areas quicker.

Thats what i meant when i said it felt like that part had been cut down fro the original plan, the areas just feel like they were originally designed for more story.

I see what you're saying though about being on a journey and it reflects having to move on quicker than you'd like in the story, but for the game i think even just a small amount more storyline there would go a long way imo.

Cant say i particularly miss the layout once i leave for kowloon though lol, but then theyre all confusing maps to me , always have been haha.

I get more familiar with it as time goes on in the game, but by then its time to leave for kowloon. I guess what im saying is there should of been more story in hong kong. Also should of been able to buy a map of the whole place so you can see how they connect easier, would help with familiarising with the areas quicker.

Thats what i meant when i said it felt like that part had been cut down fro the original plan, the areas just feel like they were originally designed for more story.

I see what you're saying though about being on a journey and it reflects having to move on quicker than you'd like in the story, but for the game i think even just a small amount more storyline there would go a long way imo.

Cant say i particularly miss the layout once i leave for kowloon though lol, but then theyre all confusing maps to me , always have been haha.
You're definitely correct about how they connect. I just always keep a fan-made map open on my PC like this one,

Personally, i realize the NPCs are downgraded in poly count for bigger areas and denser population, but only their hands, which are superfluous to me. Even the worse NPCs though have better textured face modeling and animation to account for lower polys. Each game has some models which simply have "lo-fi" mouth movements.

I don't think I've ever experienced such dialogue so early...Nozomi was talking about the feeling of being watched on Day 1 of Ryo's Job.

Btw, do saves transfer from 1 to 2? I finished the game and I didn't get any option to transfer. I maxed out a lot of moves :(

Last edited:

Well, I think we will return to Hong Kong in a later game. So more story. If not then I agree.

I love the HK wibe, they've captured so much of what it feels like irl. Running around I can almost smell the city through the screen... The soundscape is so similar, people hawking, street musicians, traffic. The run down buildings with the aircons, the alleyways and steps everywhere, the small pristine parks with people trying to catch a break. Adore it. The attention to detail is mindboggling at best.

As for the NPC gambling peeps being all male, that's actually quite on point, especially for HK late 80s. Going to arcades in the mid 00s even I was usually the only female (exception being larger arcades including more social games and located more central). Gambling and smoking used to be male territory in China, though that's changing more and more.

I don't think I've ever experienced such dialogue so early...Nozomi was talking about the feeling of being watched on Day 1 of Ryo's Job.

Btw, do saves transfer from 1 to 2? I finished the game and I didn't get any option to transfer. I maxed out a lot of moves :(

When you start a new game on Shenmue II it'll ask if you want to transfer a Shenmue save.

I'm doing another run through because I wanna play through Shenmue 1 in Japanese finally. I decided to try and get the good prizes from tomato convenience store without save scumming.

Currently at 22 bags of chips, 23 caramels, and 11 chocolates, and all I've gotten are few capsule toys and a cassette tape.

JERKS
Update: I finally won a game and grabbed hang on. It only took me... 34 chocolates, 35 caramels, and 40 bags of chips, and like 25 of those purchases being on christmas eve which I think has a higher chance of a win.

Never getting a stereo again. Only gotten it once in all the years I've played.

Here the buggy music adds a sinister overtone to Ryo going home at the same time as Wang. This seems more survival horror than Shenmue!
How annoying this sound was! hahahahahah
Did not come across issues like that when playing... I've had only two bugged cutscenes in my entire run of Shenmue.

How annoying this sound was! hahahahahah
Did not come across issues like that when playing... I've had only two bugged cutscenes in my entire run of Shenmue.
Nor did I but that sounds creepy.

Has the winning can been removed from the Freestay lodge in Shenmue 2? Oh and is there a way to consistently parry attacks in Shenmue 2? The first game's system is so cool, it's a shame that they changed it (I still love it though).

Back