Shenmue 3 Gamescom Trailer & Release Date! [KS Update 90]

I think we all understand the concerns, and even share in some of them, but I think some people are panicking way too early. Do you really think the game will be released without eye movement and facial expressions? Or is it more likely that it's something they'll get to in the next year?

Apparently the line of reasoning (such as it is) is this: eye movements are so quick and easy to implement that they should have been put in place for the trailer. However, since they weren't, there is no time left in the ~10 months of development, so this will in fact be the only game in 2019 to feature completely static eyes. Disclosure: I'm a 3D generalist with one published (mobile) title as a character rigger and animator.

However, since they weren't, there is no time left in the ~10 months of development

Well the last 12 months didn't help! ... just kidding, I do believe they'll be fixed before release.

I hope they to hire a few good character animators soon to help out. If there's one thing we can all agree on it's that we want to see those dead faces come alive for E3 2019. Fingers crossed.

Yu Suzuki has never, in his entire career as a legendary game developer, ever shipped a bad game. Ever. Looking at his gameography, if a project looks like it won't be any good, or reach his perfectionist standards, he just cancels it (like with the cancelled arcade game Psy-Phi - that game got disappointing feedback in location tests, so Yu Suzuki and his then-studio Digital Rex just cancelled it). The point I'm making is that after 20 years, when Suzuki is acutely aware of the thousands of fans that desperately want another Shenmue, and a good Shenmue, who campaigned for it like no other fanbase, he's going to try to deliver the game of his fucking life.

4 years of development at the endgame, the calibre of some of the ex-AM2 previous Shenmue staff he has (plus Kid Nocon, that guy is incredible) means I honestly think he's going to deliver something that's at least an 8/10 here, even if it's just carried on atmosphere and story, which Suzuki excels at. I have faith he'll eventually deliver, even if that's not visibly apparent yet in the latest trailers we've seen. He's one of the best game developers of all-time. The last major releases he worked on at Sega were Virtua Fighter 4 and Virtua Cop 3 - both of which were stunning, amazing games. Yes it was quiet in the interim, but I think his dedication will ultimately reveal a damn fine game.

Plus we have technically seen gameplay of Shenmue 3 (the only gameplay screenshot we have issued in Kickstarter update #85) and that looked fucking excellent. The reception to it was also mostly positive, even from those who are usually critical:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sh...tch-goal-hit-first-gameplay-screenshot.57198/

Shenmue 3, at least in-game, looks like the game we were hoping for. I have faith it'll be alright in the end.

Last edited:
Yu Suzuki has never, in his entire career as a legendary game developer, ever shipped a bad game. Ever. Looking at his gameography, if a project looks like it won't be any good, or reach his perfectionist standards, he just cancels it (like with the cancelled arcade game Psy-Phi - that game got disappointing feedback in location tests, so Yu Suzuki and his then-studio Digital Rex just cancelled it). The point I'm making is that after 20 years, when Suzuki is acutely aware of the thousands of fans that desperately want another Shenmue, and a good Shenmue, who campaigned for it like no other fanbase, he's going to try to deliver the game of his fucking life.

4 years of development at the endgame, the calibre of some of the ex-AM2 previous Shenmue staff he has (plus Kid Nocon, that guy is incredible) means I honestly think he's going to deliver something that's at least an 8/10 here, even if it's just carried on atmosphere and story, which Suzuki excels at. I have faith he'll eventually deliver, even it's that not visibly apparent yet in the latest trailers we've seen. He's one of the best game developers of all-time. The last major releases he worked on at Sega were Virtua Fighter 4 and Virtua Cop 3 - both of which were stunning, amazing games. Yes it was quiet in the interim, but I think his dedication will ultimately reveal a damn fine game.

Plus we have technically seen gameplay of Shenmue 3 (the only gameplay screenshot we have issued in Kickstarter update #85) and that looked fucking excellent. The reception to it was also mostly positive, even from those who are usually critical:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sh...tch-goal-hit-first-gameplay-screenshot.57198/

Shenmue 3, at least in-game, looks like the game we were hoping for. I have faith it'll be alright in the end.

To pile onto this...all of Suzuki's games inspires Developers and Gamer alike. Never thought I'd find another developer to rival Shiguru in this regard till I encounter Yu.:D

There has been much talk about this trailer and the lack of refinement on models, lighting, etc.

People say that nothing will change in a year, despite the development method. I present to you a screen from Spider-Man, showing a comparison shot from E3 2017 to the final build releasing on Thursday.

There is 100% no chance that Shenmue III doesn't improve in the same time frame, smaller staff, budget or not. It will.RR01wOe.jpg

Personally, I’m wondering why the little girl mock up teaser released back in June look far more advanced and polished than the Gamescom trailer released in August.

Last edited:
Personally, I’m wondering why did the little girl mock up teaser released back in June looked far more advanced and polished than the Gamescom trailer released in August.
Likely because it was a more recent model.

We don't know how long that trailer had been sat there or anything. Also animating one character for a snippet like that wouldn't have been that horrendous to do.

The characters eyes are lacking shadows, that’s why they look a bit weird and make more apparent the fact they are barely animated. It is the same issue BioWare went through with ME Andromeda, in fact, within the first update, they introduced eyes shadows for characters and that alone infused a lot more life into the them.
Moreover they should introduce a eyes tracking system so that they won’t stare only in front of them.
All of that is very easy to be implement and I’m positive they will.

like with the cancelled arcade game Psy-Phi

The ironic thing about this is that this game would probably have been popular in today' mobile gaming market. Million of people play Fortnite and PUBG with touch screen controls with their phones so a fighting game isn't too far out there. Also some of those character designs were ace.

The game was literally ahead of its time, 13 year later and it could have been a hit as touch screen controls are just a natural factor of gaming these day.

I should have grabbed the original instead of Deep Silver's PEGI version, but oh well:

@Spaghetti's post interpolating the footage from the last update inspired me to do the same for the trailer, interpolating the duplicate frames so the various bits of the trailer don't look choppy. The only bit where it still looks odd is the panning of the night sky, but that one clip of the boat that's extremely choppy in the original is perfect now.

I should have grabbed the original instead of Deep Silver's PEGI version, but oh well:

@Spaghetti's post interpolating the footage from the last update inspired me to do the same for the trailer, interpolating the duplicate frames so the various bits of the trailer don't look choppy. The only bit where it still looks odd is the panning of the night sky, but that one clip of the boat that's extremely choppy in the original is perfect now.
Nice, thanks for that!

I know I might be crazy and also in a minority here but I have nothing to complain about the prophecy trailer. It looks good to me and I would more than glad if the final games looks like that. Also not a fan of facial animations. They can look so weird. I am sure that facial animations will be great in the future but I really think that the tech is not ready for it. It just looks weird and unrealistic in most of the games. I think this is called Uncanny Valley .

I can see the importance of facial animation for the future generation of games but the future has not arrived yet. That' way I find the obsession of some people about the facial animations a bit strange.

But hey everybody has different standards and I do not want to insult anybody who thinks that these features are important. I just feel different and cannot think of any game that do these animations right yet. It just always looks a bit weird.

I know I might be crazy and also in a minority here but I have nothing to complain about the prophecy trailer. It looks good to me and I would more than glad if the final games looks like that. Also not a fan of facial animations. They can look so weird. I am sure that facial animations will be great in the future but I really think that the tech is not ready for it. It just looks weird and unrealistic in most of the games. I think this is called Uncanny Valley .

I can see the importance of facial animation for the future generation of games but the future has not arrived yet. That' way I find the obsession of some people about the facial animations a bit strange.

But hey everybody has different standards and I do not want to insult anybody who thinks that these features are important. I just feel different and cannot think of any game that do these animations right yet. It just always looks a bit weird.

I don't know that I would say it is all weird out there. It does have some issues, but by and large it has come a long way. The facial capture in RE2Make is fantastic in most of the cutscenes. Same can be said of God of War.

Granted, those are two of this generations greatest games with VERY powerful tech engines and large sums of money behind them. REngine is a remarkable piece of technology.

I don't expect that level within Shenmue III, but I think it'll be fine. Shenmue III can't be itself if it went for the massive realistic visualization of either of those games. It doesn't fit the theme.

Most of the characters in RDR2, one of the highest rated games of the generation, look pretty awkward and animate equally awkward. I've seen some characters do some bizarre things while playing the game. I think people tend to lose perspective when they view these things in a bubble. I know SIII will look perfectly fine when it comes out.

The thing I've noticed about R* games (specifically GTA4 and 5) is that they dump a ton of minor missions on you to pad out the game. The main storyline cutscenes are generally animated very well, but the dozens of secondary missions are either bookended with audio only (e.g. a phone call), or they have extremely minimal animation (e.g., characters standing and facing each other, with the only animation being lip sync and an occasional hand gesture). The overall impression is that the entirety of the game is up to this incredibly high standard, but in actuality it's really a mixed bag.

Exactly. People aren’t being fair to Shenmue. The truth is foggier than people would like to think.

Although it is true tat are games out there like Re 2 that have decent facial animations but it can still look weird from time to time. So I do not see it as a key feature that makes a game super playable. In future this might chance. But that's just my opinion.

In general it is important to fair to Shenmue and have faith in the Game and the art design.

I might be in the minority but I've kind of grown to like the way the character models look now. Given the 7 million dollar budget, I never expected Uncharted levels of production from it. I think the faces have improved from their initial reveal. I can live with budget graphics if need be. What I really want to see more so from Shenmue 3 is innovation in other regards. I want to see what Shenmue 3 feels like in a modern day with modern day tech behind it.

The thing that always impressed me most about Shenmue back in the day were the ideas it was playing with. The idea of making a world that felt alive and breathing. For instance, one of my favorite things in Shenmue II was building a friendship with Fangmei by simply talking to her. I loved the fact that she would eventually start to call you by your first name if you simply spent time talking to her. It was little stuff like that which always blew my mind about Shenmue. The idea that everything you did in the game felt natural and wasn't just to fill a progress bar or raise a level rank. It was all in the name of immersion. It was all in the name of building a world that felt alive. The more you engaged, the more you got from it.

That is what I want to see an evolution of more so than just graphic tech. Everyone can do fancy graphics. We've seen countless pretty games on the market. What I want is a true evolution of Shenmue. I want to see what Yu can bring to the table in other regards. Given that he now doesn't have to worry about 1GB worth of data space and has far more powerful tech in his hands, what else can he do with the tech at hand in terms of taking us somewhere that open world games has yet to go?

I want to see ideas in an open world game that we haven't seen before. I want to see ideas that break the mold. Because that's what I always loved about Shenmue. It was breaking the mold and trying things that no one else dared to try. So that to me is more important than just the way the characters look or animate. I think the way they look now is fine given the budget. But show me what you can do in other areas. Wow me like they wowed me the first time by creating another world that I can fully immerse myself in.

Realistically though maybe that is too much to ask and I would still be happy if we just got more Shenmue as we know it. But yeah, I think that's why I'm super keen to see gameplay. Because I'm hoping for something new that will blow our minds in the way that Shenmue did all those years ago.

Last edited:
I have to a agree. I also like the look of the characters. It might not be the typicl look of modern games but Shenmue 3 won't be a typical modern game as wel. At least I hope so. A Special look for a Special game seems appropriate.

I am a bit biased here I have to admit though. For me the late 90s and early 2000s had the best character models. I like this art style the most and prefere it over the pseudo realistic models of today anytime. Shenmue 3 seems to admit this look pretty well and that's one of the reason why I like it.

Might not be appealing the typical modern gamer but it is insane to asume anyway that Shenmue 3 might be able to win the tech race. It has not the Budget for that. That is not Yu's fault though. He has to work with limitied resources and I think he will do his Job fine.

Technical stuff aside, Shenmue has other strong Points. I am sure 3 will deliver a convincing gaming world again as part 1 and 2 did.

Back