Shenmue 3 Gamescom Trailer & Release Date! [KS Update 90]

At this point I’m seriously worried.

We’re a year away and the latest trailer looks pre-alpha. And all we contine hearing in response to these shortcomings is ‘Agile Methodology’. A year is not enough to fix what we’ve just seen.

Either the game will be delayed again or we will be left with a game very different from the Shenmue that we have known.

I'm going to be really abrupt, because this is frankly boring at this point - no offence is intended - but who the fuck cares? You're 'really' worried? Good for you, because I'm not. I couldn't really give a fuck what the graphics or character animations are like. It could be released tomorrow in this state and providing the gameplay was solid and the game had that 'Shenmue feel', I wouldn't care one bit. Besides, the animations are no where near as bad as some people are making out.

If the game were released in this state I'm sure a lot of fans wouldn't care, as it'd still be "better than a comic book" as I've seen people say. The issue is selling to non-fans. Shenmue 4 onwards depends on this game being a success.

Yeah well, in my opinion, people need to let go and relax a little in regards to this idea of 'x, y, z needs to happen to ensure Shenmue 4 happens'. Just chill and let Yu do his thing. Even if Shenmue 3 had groundbreaking graphics and animations, that doesn't necessarily ensure its success. I know fans are desperate for mainstream success and massive sales, but our control over that is incredibly limited.

Having suffered with depression and anxiety a good deal of my life, I do find it's just easier to let go sometimes and let things play out, instead of critically evaluating every little detail and stressing about things we have no control over. That's me though, I can understand if other people think differently.

I'm going to be really abrupt, because this is frankly boring at this point - no offence is intended - but who the fuck cares? You're 'really' worried? Good for you, because I'm not. I couldn't really give a fuck what the graphics or character animations are like. It could be released tomorrow in this state and providing the gameplay was solid and the game had that 'Shenmue feel', I wouldn't care one bit. Besides, the animations are no where near as bad as some people are making out.

I understand the sentiment, but Shenmue 3 is far more important than just having the continuation of the series in any form. It’s our only chance of having more games to finally finish the story, so the game has to be good.

But I have faith in Yu, he got enough resources and time to do it.

For anyone who's really concerned, upset, worried, freaked out, or some similar state after analyzing the available footage and imagery... do you work at YsNet or one of the affiliated companies making this game? No? Then you have no direct input into the design/production of this game. So you can express your opinion here. That's fine, but do you realize that YsNet etc. are not taking direction from users on this forum? No matter how many times you repeat the same opinions here? You also have the option to apply for a job there, but do not under any circumstance claim, insinuate, imply or otherwise pretend that you are a spokesperson for the fanbase, this forum, the Shenmue community at large, etc.

It's quite possible that this game is not going to be what you want it to be. You don't like the faces. You don't like the animations. Maybe you won't like something that happens in the story. You do like this but you don't like that. And so on. You didn't have any input into the original Shenmue games and you found them enjoyable and meaningful. You have no control over these aspects of Shenmue III. All you have control over is your own expectations and your own attitude. The sooner you can accept that, the sooner you'll be able to make a decision about whether to let it go and turn your attention to something else, or relax and appreciate what it actually is.

@Zoyous - We're simply coming to terms with what we think is a disappointing trailer. The result of which is exactly what you're suggesting, that people temper their expectations for this game. Well that's what we're doing, rather than resort to agile-development-theories.

The purpose of this thread is to discus the recent trailer. If a few of us say "Hey, is it just me, or should things be looking better by now?", it doesn't mean we have to work at Ysnet to have an opinion, or we expect them to address it. It's just part of the discussion.

Personally, I've decided to simply reserve judgment until I see actual gameplay - which I hope is soon. I am slightly concerned that we have never seen the actual "game" in action but we have a definitive release date. I have to imagine they would need to show it soon if the backer trial/demo is still coming out.

I'm not worried about seeing too much in a Shenmue trailer without dialog. We saw scenes from Shenmue 2 before the first game was published.

What I get from the trailer is that the game will look much better and be much bigger than I expected given the $30 pre-order. They've done well to keep the feel of the original in UE4.

@Zoyous - We're simply coming to terms with what we think is a disappointing trailer. The result of which is exactly what you're suggesting, that people temper their expectations for this game. Well that's what we're doing, rather than resort to agile-development-theories.

The purpose of this thread is to discus the recent trailer. If a few of us say "Hey, is it just me, or should things be looking better by now?", it doesn't mean we have to work at Ysnet to have an opinion, or we expect them to address it. It's just part of the discussion.

That's fine. How many times do you feel you need to re-state the same opinion? You're dismissive of the explanation of the Agile development process but it's well-documented. It's disappointing to me that people have been afforded this opportunity that they claim they want - to see the process of the game in development (as opposed to the usual marketing, vertical slice, and/or what is referred to as "bullshots") - and then complain that the game doesn't look as polished as that other approach.

@Zoyous

That's fine, but some people said that over 9 days ago when the trailer was released and 9 days later those same people are still repeating the same points over and over again. It's boring and not a constructive part of any discussion, in my opinion.

Honestly looking at the boat footage, it looks like the lady to the right of Ryo is in her idle animation before going into her walking animation a few seconds late, not shuffling like a zombie. That's the kind of thing that will be tidied up before launch. Or I guess we're not supposed to use "it's still in development" as an excuse about a game that is still in development.

@ Reprise - Sorry to bore you, but as have I already explained, lowering expectations based on the evidence presented is constructive. People keep disregarding any concerns as the result of 'agile-development', but when we suggest that makes little sense we get labeled as 'boring' and that we're just repeating the same opinion again and again. I've been told that Ysnet can't animate eyeballs until the last few months of production due to 'agile-development' about 5 times now, even though it makes absolutely no sense. Unless someone can explain it to me then this excuse should stop being repeated too.

@ Reprise - Sorry to bore you, but as have I already explained, lowering expectations based on the evidence presented is constructive. People keep disregarding any concerns as the result of 'agile-development', but when we suggest that makes little sense we get labeled as 'boring' and that we're just repeating the same opinion again and again. I've been told that Ysnet can't animate eyeballs until the last few months of production due to 'agile-development' about 5 times now, even though it makes absolutely no sense. Unless someone can explain it to me then this excuse should stop being repeated too.

Those who are consistently referring to the Agile/Scrum methodology as an excuse for the games shortcomings are in themselves showing their sheer ignorance of the said topic. I am a certified CAPM and have studied the Agile specialization through PMI, and what I can tell you that no amount of project planning is going to fix Shenmue 3 this late in the game.

Shenmue 3 will either be delayed or it will raped by gaming publications come review time.

Cool story, broseph.

Only need to look at how the Dreamcast games were developed and revealed to understand Suzuki's patient approach, whether it be agile by definition or his own unique version, which wouldn't be out of character for a genius such as him, no?

Shenmue 2 has significantly less polish and beta model/map look ot them. Kowloon is much more pastel in trailers and screens of the White Dynasty chawan QTE seem low poly. Shenmue comes out, looks much better and even with the accurately drab Japanese colors, still is more vibrant. Shenmue 2 releases with more improvements over the first with slightly more polygons and the skybox and buildings and stair animation, etc.

@ Reprise - Sorry to bore you

You're not boring me. I wasn't referring to you personally, as I have no idea if you have repeated the same points or not.

Shenmue 3 will either be delayed or it will raped by gaming publications come review time.

What do we count as 'raped'? Below 60 metacritic? 50 metacritic? I'm willing to make this interesting and place a bet on this...

What do we count as 'raped'? Below 60 metacritic? 50 metacritic? I'm willing to make this interesting and place a bet on this...

I accept PayPal. ;)

No... I'm not going to bet against Shenmue. I adore this series more than any other and so to bet against it, in hopes of poor reception just to win a bet, would just be bad form.

I do think that there are a lot of things that require refining with the game at this point and so we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed. I can see the game being delayed by 3-4 months, however.

I accept PayPal. ;)

No... I'm not going to bet against Shenmue. I adore this series more than any other and so to bet against it, in hopes of poor reception just to win a bet, would just be bad form.

I do think that there are a lot of things that require refining with the game at this point and so we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed. I can see the game being delayed by 3-4 months, however.

Haha fair enough. To clarify though, I was serious, if you ever want change your mind ;)

I'm currently 50/50 on the game being delayed. I'm not convinced it'll come out 27th August, but I'm also sure they wouldn't pluck a random date out without having a clear schedule worked out. I think if it is delayed, it definitely won't be released any later than late November / very early December.

I think we all understand the concerns, and even share in some of them, but I think some people are panicking way too early. Do you really think the game will be released without eye movement and facial expressions? Or is it more likely that it's something they'll get to in the next year?

Back