Shenmue 3 Gamescom Trailer & Release Date! [KS Update 90]

@Spaghetti's post interpolating the footage from the last update inspired me to do the same for the trailer, interpolating the duplicate frames so the various bits of the trailer don't look choppy. The only bit where it still looks odd is the panning of the night sky, but that one clip of the boat that's extremely choppy in the original is perfect now.
Following up on my previous post, here's a quick framerate analysis on the original trailer.

You can see the area with the night sky actually isn't dropping frames, which is something I had found after making the motion smoothed version. That explains why motion smoothing didn't improve that - there was nothing to interpolate. I can't really explain the oddness of that scene - the most logical explanation I can think of might be bad frame pacing but we can't actually verify that because the original trailer is 30fps. I also didn't include a frame time graph on this for the same reason, as the framerate graph already does a great job of illustrating the drops.

If you're familiar with @dark1x 's DF videos, you should already be familiar with how the frame graph works. I tried to mimic how theirs appears to look, showing 4 seconds before & after. Since the analysis is done entirely based on output video, some manual tweaks to the data were necessary. Fades to black for example produce multiple frames where the video is the same, but we don't want to count that as a drop because it's intentionally static. I've manually marked the frames during fades as not skipped, so everything in-game should be properly reflected. The finished game will probably get a proper analysis from the pros, but I thought it was neat to have one for the trailers. If next month's trailer warrants verification I can run that one through as well, but that depends on whether or not they use actual footage again and if there are still drops we can analyze. As they get closer to release there should be less to find, unless they're fine with dropping frames sometimes since the original games did too.

Hypothetically, could assets and lightmaps loading in have an effect on some of these scenes?
Anything is possible, but ideally when you do realtime loading you're supposed to do it on another CPU core and not interrupt the game. I don't think they'd be doing any asset streaming during those scenes for predictability. The heaviest hit in that trailer is during the water section, which unlike the fake mirrors in the previous games it needs to actually render most of the background into a buffer to be used for the reflections, then re-render to screen the rest of what you actually see. It's not a full 2x hit, but it's not insignificant either. They're already doing some weird tricks with it (why don't the little boats in the latest image have reflections? at first I thought it was because they only reflect above ground from the distance, but the trailer reflects the dock) so they'll probably continue tweaking as they get closer to release. The fact that it's a debug build probably also has some overhead as well.

Given that the previous games had some trouble spots, while I expect the final to improve from the trailer, I'm not actually expecting flawless performance from the finished game. It may not match some AAA titles like Quantic Dream's Detroit, but they do seem to be pushing the detail as much as they can. I'm looking forward to just looking at things, especially all of the individual things in the shops that we got a small preview of in 2017.

I don't expect perfect performance. Hopefully it hits 30fps through most of the game... I wish they would show us some gameplay! They got attacked pretty bad on the first trailer so their probably afraid to show us anything.

I don't expect perfect performance. Hopefully it hits 30fps through most of the game... I wish they would show us some gameplay! They got attacked pretty bad on the first trailer so their probably afraid to show us anything.
Not sure if you've been keeping up on the news, but gameplay is being shown in a new trailer four weeks from now.

It's not so much being afraid to show anything, but like Peter has said on here before - you only have one gameplay reveal so you may as well do it right. They could have shown us plenty before now, and they sort of have through brief glimpses in Kickstarter updates, but it's in their best interests to show something as close to a final product as possible.

I get the impression Ys Net weren't massively comfortable with the Kickstarter model of providing behind the scenes looks at the game past a certain point. Can't really blame them, because clearly there are some very warped expectations of how game development works out there.

Anything is possible, but ideally when you do realtime loading you're supposed to do it on another CPU core and not interrupt the game. I don't think they'd be doing any asset streaming during those scenes for predictability. The heaviest hit in that trailer is during the water section, which unlike the fake mirrors in the previous games it needs to actually render most of the background into a buffer to be used for the reflections, then re-render to screen the rest of what you actually see. It's not a full 2x hit, but it's not insignificant either. They're already doing some weird tricks with it (why don't the little boats in the latest image have reflections? at first I thought it was because they only reflect above ground from the distance, but the trailer reflects the dock) so they'll probably continue tweaking as they get closer to release. The fact that it's a debug build probably also has some overhead as well.

Given that the previous games had some trouble spots, while I expect the final to improve from the trailer, I'm not actually expecting flawless performance from the finished game. It may not match some AAA titles like Quantic Dream's Detroit, but they do seem to be pushing the detail as much as they can. I'm looking forward to just looking at things, especially all of the individual things in the shops that we got a small preview of in 2017.
I could buy that the reflections were causing performance to chug. In any case, pre-release software over a year out is hardly going to be fully optimised, so I doubt it'll reflect how the final game runs.

Last edited:
Back