MAGIC Monaco Press Conference - 9th March 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the one hand, I'm going to miss the licensed capsule toys. On the other hand, I'm intensely curious as to what new toys/characters they'll come up with.

The more i look at Lan Di (and It's probably just me!) I can see an element of Ryo in some of the facial features.

Absolutely. I think it's very intentional - much like Ryo's bandaged cheek relates to Lan Di's scar. Ryo is teetering on the edge of following the same vengeful path that must have been what led to Lan Di's current state.

Well some of them will be fans from the Kickstarter tiers which is cool. Others could be anything or little Easter eggs maybe.

People crying about Ryo and Lan Di looking different is literally the equivalent of crying that Saturn Ryo looks different than DC Ryo, well no shit. The new ones look better, Ryo actually looks like an 18 year old now rather than a wench 25 year old. Shenhua looks good, do they look different? Yes but that's because the graphics in 17 years has changed. Just like the original Saturn versions to the DC versions. Just cos you played with DC versions the longest and therefore have more familiarity with them doesn't mean they are superior models or the art style is better, you're just used to it. You'll get used to Shenmue III too.
hqdefault.jpg

Absolutely. I think it's very intentional - much like Ryo's bandaged cheek relates to Lan Di's scar. Ryo is teetering on the edge of following the same vengeful path that must have been what led to Lan Di's current state.

That's a really interesting way of looking at it thanks for that. I was wondering if i was seeing something completely different to others!

Art direction isn't something we're all going to agree on or even recognize. But differences certainly exist, and they effect some people more than others. For example, I can't stand the way newer Dragonball Z episodes look. You can certainly still tell which character is which, but they all have this weird generic art style that makes them look ugly af IMO. Same with these new characters. I think Lan Di looks great, but he certainly looks a bit different. Ryo looks okay, but looks way different... and Shenhua looks good but doesn't look anything like Shenhua IMO. Then you have others who think the opposite, or think they all look really bad or really good. Opinions... crazy things those opinions... What separates the fans from the fanboys is those that understand this nuance...
Dude, I’ve been pretty vocally critical for the past few years. I just think some people have a metric this team is never gonna meet and I think that kind of sucks. I’m really not a fanboy, but I have trouble identifying anything wrong with the current models, certainly not to the point where I think the team is incompetent (like a few vocal people seem to think), when compared to the original models. I still think there’s a weird plasticine sheen to the shots we’ve seen and I hope the animation is levels beyond what we saw in the last trailer. I’m a big fan of the ‘90s AM2 look, but this isn’t the 90s and I think some people won’t accept that.

Oh, and I guess LAN Di’s head looks kind of small.

The purple capsule toy machine has a silly character with a purple shirt and green pants holding a fire extinguisher, and he's surrounded by other floating canisters. Im gueseing that machine is some wacky fireman theme. He actually kind of looks like Waluigi.

Painting with the woman in the red dress is giving me Persona 5 flashbacks. It could be a version of the Sayuri!

Also the colours of this game are gorgeous, and if I recall correctly, a while ago Yu Suzuki explained in an interview where he was asked if he had done anything on the coding front, he said he rewrote unreal 4s shaders himself to give him the look he wanted. That would mean he'd be the most responsible for the vibrant imagery.

To add to this there is what looks like an axe floating on the left hand side of the character.

I don't really get the complaints. You're never gonna get a 1:1 likeness for any of these character models considering it's two different engines. One is a custom made engine from the Model 3 / NAOMI days and the other is a modern day engine capable of so much more in terms of pipe line processing. You're never gonna get a 1:1 likeness on any of these character models unless you just straight up go back to the Dreamcast engine.

I think they finally ironed out Ryo with the latest model they've shown. Shenhua still doesn't look quite right to me but I think I have to accept that they've changed her and that isn't going to change (maybe this is how Yu envisioned Shenhua or maybe he just likes the new look or maybe because she's voiced by someone different they felt they had to change her up a bit...I can live with it though)

I think the current model of Lan Di looks pretty damn good and pretty much on target. He still looks like the mysterious imposing figure that he did on the Dreamcast to me.

For what it's worth, considering it's two different engines, I think they've gotten pretty close. But yeah, I never expected 1:1 likeness though...two different engines capable of different things.

Then, it's starting to actually look like these are more than just on the spot drinkables, if we remember the battle image we got in a previous kickstarter update:

index.php

Just like the drinks machines in Yakuza 6. (y)

In fact if there's one thing I think we can all agree on, regardless of anyone's opinion on character models, it's that Shenmue III is basically Yakuza 6 in China. :coffee:

I think Lan Di looks fantastic. All the DC comparisons are worthless at this stage because we're comparing the old models in our heads -- how they moved, talked, how they were lit and shot in certain scenes -- to a static image. If you really want a comparison worth a dime then wait for gameplay footage. Personally, I think the new models hold their own, and I don't really care if they aren't 100% "accurate" to the old ones. Any changes are Yu's decision to make.

Lan Di looks incredible, and such a step up from that Aug '18 trailer. 'Nuff said. I seriously cannot see how anyone can nitpick it. Personally, this has got me properly hyped now, and I've been listening to the OST CD's from the S1&2 JP releases this evening, hyped beyond belief that this saga is continuing and that its finally starting to look like the Shenmue we know and love. Bring it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back