MAGIC Monaco Press Conference - 9th March 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what you mean to say is, he looks more realistic. The Lan Di on the left looks more human to me the Lan Di on the right is old graphics, so of course he's gonna look different. You can't have Shenmue III on current gen systems and expect square flat textured graphics just so it looks like DC Shenmue.
Yeaaaaah, this is my take on it too. There will be some translation to a model 2 and a half generations ahead of where we were on Dreamcast.

Another angle on the Ren shot:

DzytFEAWkAQemXp.jpg

Look at those fucking COLOURS.

View attachment 2009

Alright, so not much more info, except that they are indeed generic. So no licensed materials in there. It looks like a character holding some sort of katana sword maybe? Theres definitely an axe of some kind there too. In the other, its a little hard to make out, but with the colours, perhaps just generic vehicles, which we have seen in Shenmue games previously.

View attachment 2010

Alright so this is just generic imagery in game, but the bottle looks as though its advertising a beverage of some kind in a bottle. This could be whats available to purchase from the vending machines we have seen on the boat in the Gamescom trailer:

View attachment 2011

Then, it's starting to actually look like these are more than just on the spot drinkables, if we remember the battle image we got in a previous kickstarter update:

View attachment 2012

The purple capsule toy machine has a silly character with a purple shirt and green pants holding a fire extinguisher, and he's surrounded by other floating canisters. Im gueseing that machine is some wacky fireman theme. He actually kind of looks like Waluigi.

Painting with the woman in the red dress is giving me Persona 5 flashbacks. It could be a version of the Sayuri!

Also the colours of this game are gorgeous, and if I recall correctly, a while ago Yu Suzuki explained in an interview where he was asked if he had done anything on the coding front, he said he rewrote unreal 4s shaders himself to give him the look he wanted. That would mean he'd be the most responsible for the vibrant imagery.

It was a screen capture from the DC version in 4:3 but in HD through emulator I think. Seemed to be accurate to me.

I also want to clarify that my issues have nothing to do with the graphics. The game, especially considering the budget seems to have great graphics but the aesthetics of some character models bug me.

Well, the art direction has definitely changed since the DC days; you don’t like the way some of the character models are headed, which is completely fine. Lan Di does look different, same with Shenhua and Ryo.

Personally I think Neo Shenhua benefits the most compared to her old model, which could...kinda look like a guy in drag at times
images

Ryo looks younger than he did in his DC days, making him a bit more age-appropriate when you think about it.
Lan Di just seems “tougher” in general, but also a bit more emotive with that scowl.
(So far, I don’t get the icy cold disposition of the Shenmue 1 intro scene, which was really spectacular; I do hope they can evoke that feeling again… though I’m not sure the new buff look will allow it.)

Can we keep the discussion around Lan Di civil. I don't agree with @Master Mo but that's the opinion so these can be discussed in a civil manner on either side

Yeah, seriously.

Any of you worried about Ren's face?
Yeah, but I'm just being accepting at this point. His character model from the back looks great at least, I'll just have to remember when I'm playing what it took to even get something...

I just like looking at the new faces vs the old faces and wondering how people think any of these are inferior. There’s really very little comparison. I am definitely a fan of the old games, but they were products of their time. Nostalgia is a powerful drug.

Nostalgia is a powerful drug.

I agree. I speak from experience because I have OD'd on nostalgia many a time. Even with my lack of experience with newer games and my love affair with Shenmue 1&2 I still feel that the aesthetic and over-all quality of Shenmue 3 is of high quality. What I have seen of Shenmue 3, especially as of late has me impressed. I am so grateful that we will be getting Shenmue 3 at all let alone a high-quality Shenmue 3. :cool:

I just look at comments like “Lan Dilooks totally wrong” after seeing a side by side comparison and a bunch of ??? appear over my head.

I just look at comments like “Lan Dilooks totally wrong” after seeing a side by side comparison and a bunch of ??? appear over my head.
Art direction isn't something we're all going to agree on or even recognize. But differences certainly exist, and they effect some people more than others. For example, I can't stand the way newer Dragonball Z episodes look. You can certainly still tell which character is which, but they all have this weird generic art style that makes them look ugly af IMO. Same with these new characters. I think Lan Di looks great, but he certainly looks a bit different. Ryo looks okay, but looks way different... and Shenhua looks good but doesn't look anything like Shenhua IMO. Then you have others who think the opposite, or think they all look really bad or really good. Opinions... crazy things those opinions... What separates the fans from the fanboys is those that understand this nuance...

The images today of the models and environments are of fantastic quality and very exciting for what we are to see on the 9th March! The more i look at Lan Di (and It's probably just me!) I can see an element of Ryo in some of the facial features. Perhaps that is linked with the way models are being portrayed in this art direction. It certainly is a massive step forwards from the previous model, the eyes look menacing to me which is how I think of Lan Di.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back