EDGE Magazine Cover Story: Shenmue 3

For those who loved training in the first game, and hated that it wasnt in the second, then your dreams will have came true... and then some.

Personally, i agree that there's not a single shred of negativity. But i think they speak of the fighting and training very highly in the article. Again, if anyone was worried about the fighting system not being Virtua Fighter based, you are going to be very surprised.

...Sigh, there's training in Shenmue 2. Albeit, not as well done as the first. Sooo badly wished the lot adjacent to Yan Tin was training, for more than only her move lesson.

Also, I love the tank controls (Then again I even love RE tank, and still use D-pad, so perhaps I'm a bit of a sadist haha). Trigger walking is best, although I like how they did the control in HD, especially since the PS4 trigger is awkward to walk with--the speed being anaologue in Shen2 threw me off and I never use the stick. D-pad hurts thumb after a mini marathon of Shenmue-ing.

Definitely buying on Feb 28, but won't read until at least after Magic.

Last edited:
Feels a bit redundant writing that spoiler free look at mechanics now the scans are so readily available haha. Is there much appetite for that now?

It seems to be hands on. There is only 1 new image, which is the one from Amazon that was posted yesterday.

But its the text itself that, to me, is major spoilery. From names of characters, what you have to do, where you have to go, fights, situations, controls, mechanics, inventory....

This is the start of it. I wish i hadn't read it to be honest.

Yeah...thanks for taking it one for the team here. Definitely skipping that.

When a quarter of the posts turn into people asking for the article, it's sad. I found it just fine in a few minutes via a Google search.

But I assume it's fair game to tell you how to more easily find it yourself, if you don't want to pester people about PM's. We've already established that Resetera doesn't allow links to it, because it's basically taking sales away from the magazine. So you won't find it there. However, there's another large internet forum, not specific to gaming, with thousands of sub-sections related to other topics including games which has a Shenmue specific section. Some of the forums there aren't as well moderated as others, and there's a thread about this magazine there with links to it. I suggest searching that forum instead.

This isn't really unusual, it happens with every magazine. People get their issues in the mail, read them, and sell them.
The same user for this particular one has sold previous issues of Edge magazine. They don't appear to be intentionally re-selling this one just because you're interested in it, it's just the next magazine they got in the mail to re-sell. Just look at their history.

When a quarter of the posts turn into people asking for the article, it's sad. I found it just fine in a few minutes via a Google search.

But I assume it's fair game to tell you how to more easily find it yourself, if you don't want to pester people about PM's. We've already established that Resetera doesn't allow links to it, because it's basically taking sales away from the magazine. So you won't find it there. However, there's another large internet forum, not specific to gaming, with thousands of sub-sections related to other topics including games which has a Shenmue specific section. Some of the forums there aren't as well moderated as others, and there's a thread about this magazine there with links to it. I suggest searching that forum instead.

This isn't really unusual, it happens with every magazine. People get their issues in the mail, read them, and sell them.
The same user for this particular one has sold previous issues of Edge magazine. They don't appear to be intentionally re-selling this one just because you're interested in it, it's just the next magazine they got in the mail to re-sell. Just look at their history.

For £20 plus postage though... Think I'll wait until the 28th and pay like a fiver or whatever Edge costs these days!

I think that probably a good write-up of the article could definitely help to make people stop asking for links.

Is it only available in the UK? For people who can't buy the magazine, someone will probably scan the Shenmue 3 article after the 28th I'm guessing..

Not everybody lives in the country where you can go and buy edge. I have an iPad subscription but there you can only read their previous issue.

Which makes selling it for 4 times the price an even more shitty thing to do.

Reading the scans on the bus. Trying to get my head around some of this stuff for the write-up and the best way to make it as close to spoiler free as possible.

How do people feel about place names? There's one ambiguous detail about a location that seems important in context but might be considered a spoiler.

I found these highlights on the net (Resetera?):
* Yu Suzuki is using his documents from 20 years ago that he gathered on Chinese culture in the 1980's, chinese tribes, their customs and villages, he's also traveled to the Fujian Province for direct hands-on research of the people and their lifestyle
* First two games had modern settings, this one is steeped in religion and ancient culture of China
* You start in a village called Bailu, it sounds like the start will be slow paced. People will barely talk to you and won't answer your questions because you're an outsider, there's a dialogue system and you need to complete tasks and become more known around the village before the local people will give you info. If you have Shenhua with you the villagers will be more open with you because they know and trust her.
* Each villager will have their own day-night routine just like the previous games
* Because Ryo is a city boy there's a lot of obliviousness from him and there's funny and interesting conversations because his viewpoint is so different.
* The game is more about looking inward than outward, Suzuki says he wants to look deeper into the Ryo character and we'll learn more about him.
* Same voice actor as before
* A large part of the game is the affinity system between Ryo and Shenhua and a major part of the story of the game is the relationship between the two.
* Combat system looks much smoother and is more RPG based, not just learning skills by repeating

Combat system looks much smoother and is more RPG based, not just learning skills by repeating moves over and over
Attack power and stamina are the two main stats for combat, stamina is used for everything (sprinting, fighting moves) and can be restored by eating food. eating before doing something strenuous will become routine
* When training you can customize Ryo's clothes into training gear
* Training is done through mini-games, Horse Stance, One inch Punch and more, mostly rhythm based but satisfying to pull off
* Technique scrolls from 1 & 2 return as well as new ones, around 100 in total
* The intricate world building of characters being linked and having back-stories is present in 3
* There's a fight club in another city you can enter where you fight people with nicknames like "The Knee of Death" and "Mach Fist" (voiced by Chris Bellinger)
* At one point you'll have to fight multiple people in these fighting events, people who want to master the combat system will be spending a lot of time fighting in these events. All of the fighting happens in the Rose Garden and is optional.
* Controls are carried over from Shenmue 2 but with analogue stick camera improvements
* Capsule toys are back
* EDGE sound very positive on what they've seen.
* Suzuki stresses how important it is to make the game feel like a Shenmue game, modern games are more open world nowadays but he doesn't want to go that way because then it wouldn't be Shenmue

Reading the scans on the bus. Trying to get my head around some of this stuff for the write-up and the best way to make it as close to spoiler free as possible.

How do people feel about place names? There's one ambiguous detail about a location that seems important in context but might be considered a spoiler.
Perhaps those are the kind of things you should avoid.
For me its cool but many people might consider that spoiler tho.

Looked at the pictures--no spoilers, but it seems they didn't post more screens than we have seen already, many are from a while back...so we are still unsure what the current game build looks like.

We'll find out soon enough.

Back