MAGIC Monaco Press Conference - 9th March 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting take, I'd really like to see this Shenhua head on
View attachment 2171
This is roughly the same as the model we've been seeing since then. Actually I'd say more cosmetic elements like hair, earrings, and clothing have changed, rather than her face.

But anyway, here's more of a three-quarters shot of her face from Chinese version of the Gamescom 2018 trailer.

sequence01.00_00_05_1aika2.jpg

sequence01.00_00_06_1gaklk.jpg
sequence01.00_00_07_2eyj4p.jpg

Hoping her face has been updated to resemble Shenhua more in the latest update.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm kind of with you on that. I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing the game too much as generally everything looks and sounds much, much better than I was expecting, but the new Shenhua doesn't really look like Shenhua to me. Her new design isn't bad or anything, it's just not quite what I'd prefer.

Yeah Shenhua is my only problem right now. She’s one of my favorite characters so I’m not a fan of how she looks but they’ve updated the other characters to the point where I have hope we’ll get a better Shenhua in the end.

I think Shenhua is the only character that suffers from the improved lighting system. In the originals her clothes are yellow but not that yellow.

41509-shenmue-ii-xbox-screenshot-shenmue-ii-when-ryo-has-more-things.jpeg

In the originals, her clothes are more of a earth-like yellow, which makes sense since because she lives near a forest.

I also don't like how she no longer wears a dress or scarf. I just don't recognize III's version of Shenhua at all. That isn't Shenhua and that is my only problem with the game right now.

I have no idea what happened either because this version of Shenhua is considerably better than what they have now.

CI3d4zQUsAAdpvR-ds1-1340x1340.jpg

Last edited:
I mean... which Shenhua, really? I know you posted that CGI render above but like, it doesn't really look like the character we saw in-game in Shenmue, or Shenmue II. It doesn't look like Shenhua did in the concept art, or even some of the other CG renders, IMO.

The look of some of these characters has been pretty inconsistent across multiple forms of media, so it's hard to point to a single one as truly definitive.

To me, Shenhua is the one from II. It's the one where she's actually in-game. The design changes to Shenhua make no sense to me. Why does she wear pants now? Where's the scarf? Is this all temporary? I can only hope they make improvements and have more in line with her II incarnation.

It partly is.

- costume change (no scarf, no dress)
- too bright yellow

1551562055138.jpeg
- lacks iconic Shenhua facial features such as large lower eye lid, and accented Chinese eye slant.

It just isn’t Shenhua. To be fair, the pic you posted from Gamescom is much better than the one I’ve linked in this post. So it’s clear they’re improving her but comparing the latest screenshots which show off Lan Di’s new model to Shenhua’s is night and day. How would you feel if they gave Lan Di a t-shirt? He wouldn’t be Lan Di then, would he? Or Lan Di without his eye slant. It’s no longer Lan Di. The latest Lan Di looks like him to me, the same as I’ve always remembered him.

But this isn’t Shenhua.

It’s my only issue with the game but considering how much I love her character it’s a pretty big nitpick. For me at least. Thankfully she looks much better in the photos given in the op! But still not quite there. I really don’t like that costume.

Shenmue 3 begins the day after Shenmue 2 so she may have switched clothes by herself in the media we were shown. According Yu Suzuki, we also know that she's going to wear a lot of different clothes as the Shenmue Saturn artworks already implied in the past. If really it's a problem for you, it may be easy to fix it via PC mods.

So far, I've only a problem with current Shenhua's face, and a big one. She's the character Ryo interacted the most with since the beginning of the journey, we spent one entire ingame day in her company in Shenmue 2. Her face accuracy is as important as Ryo and Lan Di' ones. The YSnet's one makes her a stranger and her new voice is not going to help.

They changed her face every time since Project Berkley. At this point, I don't care whether old face they decide to base on, I'm only asking for further constancy with what we experienced in the past.

Last edited:
I hadn’t considered that she may have changed clothes or that she can change costumes like Ryo.

And I agree. Nailing her face is very important because of how much we will be interacting with her.

The more I look at the Shenhua in the op the more I like it.

They’ve done a few things:

- lowered the brightness of her clothes
- gave her more pronounce facial features including her iconic eye lids. It’s just hard to fully judge it because it’s seen to the side.

They’re doing a good job. Now put her in her old dress. :p

Last edited:
It partly is.

- costume change (no scarf, no dress)
- too bright yellow

View attachment 2172
- lacks iconic Shenhua facial features such as large lower eye lid, and accented Chinese eye slant.

It just isn’t Shenhua. To be fair, the pic you posted from Gamescom is much better than the one I’ve linked in this post. So it’s clear they’re improving her but comparing the latest screenshots which show off Lan Di’s new model to Shenhua’s is night and day. How would you feel if they gave Lan Di a t-shirt? He wouldn’t be Lan Di then, would he? Or Lan Di without his eye slant. It’s no longer Lan Di. The latest Lan Di looks like him to me, the same as I’ve always remembered him.

But this isn’t Shenhua.

It’s my only issue with the game but considering how much I love her character it’s a pretty big nitpick. For me at least. Thankfully she looks much better in the photos given in the op! But still not quite there. I really don’t like that costume.
Yeah that yellow was a bit much, I'm glad they've at least dampened it some since. I don't think the lighting there did it any favors either.

Actually now that I think about it, it's kind of strange how Shenhua gets a new outfit while everyone else has been wearing the exact same thing since Shenmue 1 (or the Saturn prototype in Ren's case). Ryo has got to change his shirt at some point... right?

Last edited:
i think her new clothes just look a little bit to new and fancy?
i mean, because of the texture quality and all the other limits back then,
the clothes all looked a little dirty or worn out. and it makes sense,
shenhua is a girl from a small village. she never visited any other countries or whatever.

the new outfit looks like its a brand new outfit from a chinese tourist shop.
and shenhua has a very natural beauty look in S2, the new shenhua looks like a girl that cares about make up.

Yeah that yellow was a bit much, I'm glad they've at least dampened it some since. I don't think the lighting there did it any favors either.

Actually now that I think about it, it's kind of strange how Shenhua gets a new outfit while everyone else has been wearing the exact same thing since Shenmue 1 (or the Saturn prototype in Ren's case). Ryo has got to change his shirt at some point... right?
Ryo will have multiple outfits to choose from; one of which has been described as "training gear."

i think her new clothes just look a little bit to new and fancy?
i mean, because of the texture quality and all the other limits back then,
the clothes all looked a little dirty or worn out. and it makes sense,
shenhua is a girl from a small village. she never visited any other countries or whatever.

the new outfit looks like its a brand new outfit from a chinese tourist shop.
and shenhua has a very natural beauty look in S2, the new shenhua looks like a girl that cares about make up.
You can find pretty ornate clothes even in rural areas of China. The Miao people wear ceremonial gear like this:

5a2768c2a310786506f647dd.jpeg

Although Bailu is meant to be a village hidden away in the Guilin mountainside, it's not gonna be like, I dunno, an undiscovered tribe in the Amazonian rainforest or whatever.

I imagine the clothes she was wearing in II were her hiking clothes since she was travelling through the mountains when Ryo met her. Makes sense that she'll change into something nicer in III.

You can find pretty ornate clothes even in rural areas of China. The Miao people wear ceremonial gear like this:

5a2768c2a310786506f647dd.jpeg

Although Bailu is meant to be a village hidden away in the Guilin mountainside, it's not gonna be like, I dunno, an undiscovered tribe in the Amazonian rainforest or whatever.

i know, i know. its just that in real life they are wearing it for "events" where everyone will put on those clothes.
but if you just look at the pictures we got so far for S3, it looks like shenhua is a little bit "too pretty" for the environment.

she looks like a total normal girl in S2 who is just natural pretty even in the most boring clothes
and it seemed to me like she doesnt care about make up or fashion.
in the S3 pictures it seems a little bit like shes trying to look extra pretty. fake eye lashes and everything.
its a very fine and thin line and maybe there is a story reason for that. i dont know.

its not that i dont like the character model or anything its just a tiny little bit too much.
shenhua is not a fashion model from la or paris.

i know, i know. its just that in real life they are wearing it for "events" where everyone will put on those clothes.
but if you just look at the pictures we got so far for S3, it looks like shenhua is a little bit "too pretty" for the environment.

she looks like a total normal girl in S2 who is just natural pretty even in the most boring clothes
and it seemed to me like she doesnt care about make up or fashion.
in the S3 pictures it seems a little bit like shes trying to look extra pretty.
its a very fine and thin line and maybe there is a story reason for that. i dont know.

its not that i dont like the character model or anything its just a tiny little bit to much.
shenhua is not a fashion model from california or paris.
I think maybe a distinction needs to be made between, I dunno, what Shenhua would wear to spend days hiking in the forest, and what she'd wear at home in Bailu village.

With that in mind maybe the change makes more sense?

I think maybe a distinction needs to be made between, I dunno, what Shenhua would wear to spend days hiking in the forest, and what she'd wear at home in Bailu village.

Why haven't we seen Ryo change clothes then? Why is this standard done only for Shenhua?

thats the one thing about the clothes. okay, maybe everyone in that small village
is wearing super new clothes every day or they have a super good washing machine
but what about the face? to me it looks like the new shenhua is wearing fake eye lashes, eye liner,
she styled her eyebrows and has super smooth facial skin.
she is pretty but shenhuas S2 style is natural beauty and shenhuas S3 style looks more
like a girl from a big city where putting make up on every morning is totally normal.

both of these things together, clothes and "makeup look", is a little bit too much for me
when i think about some random village girl who has no tv or anything like that in her house.
its not a huge problem, i just have that feeling when i see her that something is not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back