MAGIC Monaco Press Conference - 9th March 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have to say it's S2 Shenhua who does not look correct. She has the face of a young child, not a young adult. I think the new Shenhua is an improvement, but it did take me a while to get used to her.

As for why hasn't Ryo changed clothes... well, if you look in his wardrobe in S1, you can see he has multiple white t-shirts and pairs of jeans. The only other item of clothing that I recall he has is a jeans jacket.

More generally speaking regarding why there are changes in characters' appearances... it's because the team wants to change their appearances, not because they're unable to match the previous models. We see this in every other visual medium... film, tv, comics, animation, so of course it happens in game design as well.

I would also have preferred it if Shenhua looked more like she did in Shenmue 2. Like you say, they made everyone also look very similar to their old models, why not her too? However, I do think her new model looks very good so I can accept the changes they made. It isn't a huge deal to me.

I guess I'll have to get to use it. :(

y'all are both DUMMIES, Passport Shenhua is clearly peak cute archetype.

I would also have preferred it if Shenhua looked more like she did in Shenmue 2. Like you say, they made everyone also look very similar to their old models, why not her too? However, I do think her new model looks very good so I can accept the changes they made. It isn't a huge deal to me.
Basically how I feel about it.

I'd have to say it's S2 Shenhua who does not look correct. She has the face of a young child, not a young adult. I think the new Shenhua is an improvement, but it did take me a while to get used to her.

As for why hasn't Ryo changed clothes... well, if you look in his wardrobe in S1, you can see he has multiple white t-shirts and pairs of jeans. The only other item of clothing that I recall he has is a jeans jacket.

More generally speaking regarding why there are changes in characters' appearances... it's because the team wants to change their appearances, not because they're unable to match the previous models. We see this in every other visual medium... film, tv, comics, animation, so of course it happens in game design as well.

Well said!

Stupid thought, but if the game starts in the cave we should at least briefly see her in the S2 outfit, right?
this is my only gripe i have with the new dress...
i know from a long time ago that Shenhua will occasionally change her dress throughout the journey (i am sure she will be on more than one dress during the events of this game) but the starting cave scene should have used the original dress for her.
i am still hoping they will change that eventually but if they ended up using the same dress i am not going complain that much.

Shenhua is 16 years old, i think she has the right look for that age. Joy is 18 years old, Xiuying is 26,
so it makes sense that Shenhua looks younger than them.
regarding Ryos clothes - his wardrobe at home is a nice little joke but thats not enough for a "real" explanation.
its not that i need a real explanation but there is none in S1 or 2.
there are a lot of side characters around Rens gang for example and none of them are changing their outfits.

if we look at the S3 screenshots and clips, we can see that they try really hard to give us Ryos, Rens and Lan Dis
old look. their classic clothes and their classic faces. but for Shenhua they changed both things right from the start.
i dont hate the look, its just a weird decision that so far Shenhua is the only character who got a complete makeover.

this is my only gripe i have with the new dress...
i know from a long time ago that Shenhua will occasionally change her dress throughout the journey (i am sure she will be on more than one dress during the events of this game) but the starting cave scene should have used the original dress for her.
i am still hoping they will change that eventually but if they ended up using the same dress i am not going complain that much.

They're retconning the old look in general it seems.

However didn’t Yu Suzuki make a joke in an interview that it would seem weird for Shenhua to always be wearing the same clothes and was considering hiring a fashion designer for III?

February 2016:

Something known about Shenmue III before even the game engine was revealed is that Ryo will finally have the chance to swap his trademark leather jacket for a fresh change of clothes. But how far will this customization extend?

"We haven't reached the point of testing that part yet, so it's hard to say," admitted Suzuki-san, "However, I guess I'd like at least to change his clothing. And with Shenhua in particular, her home is located nearby; so if her clothes always stay the same, it would imply she only owns one costume - that wouldn't do!"

Suzuki added that he wants to "create some good designs" for Shenhua's clothing, and team up with an actual clothes designer for the task.

I haven't really followed any of the interviews to be honest, does he say where it starts or simply that it doesn't start there?

Yu responded the day after Shenmue 2 ending, precisely 6 hours after the final scene. About the place, he was not explicit but his answer implied that the cave will not be the beginning: he wanted to showcase the cave in the Gamescom teaser to make people able to do accurate comparisons with Shenmue 2.

Ryo slept, ate, worked in the same outfit every day. So did Xiuying.

This is outright false.

When you first meet her, Xiuying is wearing this outfit:

Xiuying_Hong.png

Later in the game, she's wearing this outfit:

Shen2_Xiuying_catches_leaf.png

She switches between the two outfits often when it's appropriate. When she sleeps she's wearing a third outfit:

Xiuying3.png

And as a child, she's seen wearing a fourth outfit:

Xiuying4.png

Last edited:
The only thing I'll add is this: the changes to Shenhua are clearly intentional. If they wanted to make her look identical to the SII model they would have. It's not as if they forgot she used to wear a scarf and look much younger. She's been changed for a reason

Isn't there an interview or a KS update somewhere in which Suzuki more or less explicitly explains this? I swear I read that this new model is closer to his original vision for Shenhua. In any case, I think the new model looks amazing.

Anyways, I hope no one takes offense to this, I'm mostly posting it tongue in cheek, but all I could think of last night when I saw the debates over Shenhua's outfit was this GIF :p

6JW8OXm.gif

This is outright false.

When you first meet her, Xiuying is wearing this outfit:

Xiuying_Hong.png

Later in the game, she's wearing this outfit:

Shen2_Xiuying_catches_leaf.png

She switches between the two outfits often when it's appropriate. When she sleeps she's wearing a third outfit:

Xiuying3.png

And as a child, she's seen wearing a fourth outfit:

Xiuying4.png

Ugh. Brain fart. Thanks for the reminder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back