Media impressions of the 15 minute gameplay trailer

I’m confused.

If they mention how in Shenmue I Ryo knew everyone and you shouldn’t expect the kind of deep relationship between npcs in Shenmue III how is that any different than II? Ryo is in a foreign nation. Why would you expect other wise? The npcs that get lots of detail will most likely be his friends - Shenhua, Ren, villains, whoever else - but even that is no different from II.

What are you expecting? For Ryo to the local flower girl the way he does Nozomi?

That's right. Unlike Yokosuka Ryo does not know anybody in China, so why the NPCS should react to him. For the rural Setting in China it would be more realistic if the NPC do not interact with at all. He is a stranger. The People might be not sure if they can trust him or not.

I think even the Edge Article stated something similar??

Shenmue III demo ideally should just be interacting with the environment, some qte’s, and some mini games (gacha, Kung fu);etc. It’ll probably be like What’s Shenmue hopefully.

That's right. Unlike Youkuska Ryo does not know anybody in China, so why the NPCS should react to him. For the rural Setting in China it would be more realistic if the NPC do not interact with at all. He is a stranger. The People might be not sure if they can trust him or not.

I think even the Edge Article stated something similar??

Yeah the Edge article says that npcs have no reason to tell Ryo anything since he’s a stranger and getting to know them let’s them open up. So I’m even more confused by Ghost Trick’s concerns. The game seemingly still has the depth between npcs and Ryo, it’s just different than past games, and that’s fine.

At least to me it was clear from the start that not all of the ideas could be put into game due to the limited Budget. But I am sure Yu does what he could to make the best out of the game.

I might Sound like a broken record now (sorry for that) but it is always esential to Keep the expectations in check. We are talking about a Kickstarter game. it is the attemp to create a complex 3d Action Adventure with a limited Budget. It is quite a experimental game.

Well the other way to look at is if content has been cut due to budget cuts, then we can look forward to it in Shenmue 4. It could even be a case of that the content is created already, or at least partially developed, you could argue that parts of Shenmue 4 are already developed/under development. Heck, if Baisha was 70% complete for example, I wouldn't mind if they cut that whole chapter of the story and put it into Shenmue 4.

There's also some disparity between what EDGE said about Bailu's villagers having schedules.

I believe Yu was talking in broader terms, as he has done in the past. I'm sure I've seen a drama like this play out half a dozen times.

Knowing that Bailu is meant to emulate the world of the original Shenmue, and Chobu the world of Shenmue II, I think this might be something we need to see/try for ourselves to properly grasp the details.

It's the same for facial animations. The way it's worded make it feels like it's the final result because it is said "we learned and completly assimilated the technology to FINALLY reach that result".
Does this particularly work with the "Our job now is basically tuning, debugging, and upgrading" part of the interview, though? Not to mention clearly marking the trailer as WIP and not the final game.

Yeah the Edge article says that npcs have no reason to tell Ryo anything since he’s a stranger and getting to know them let’s them open up. So I’m even more confused by Ghost Trick’s concerns. The game seemingly still has the depth between npcs and Ryo, it’s just different than past games, and that’s fine.

Well as I said, something could be lost in translation from Japanese to French.

Does this particularly work with the "Our job now is basically tuning, debugging, and upgrading" part of the interview, though? Not to mention clearly marking the trailer as WIP and not the final game.

Well as I said, some part of the interview are... poorly worded. Like for exemple, the upgrading part is "mise à niveau". Normally, to talk about an upgrade, you'd say "améliorer" "réhausser". For me, indeed, if "upgrading" is the word intended for "mise à niveau", then yes, it would be. As I said, it's all about the wording in French.

Well as I said, some part of the interview are... poorly worded. Like for exemple, the upgrading part is "mise à niveau". Normally, to talk about an upgrade, you'd say "améliorer" "réhausser". For me, indeed, if "upgrading" is the word intended for "mise à niveau", then yes, it would be. As I said, it's all about the wording in French.
I guess we'll have to wait and see, though in lieu of any better evidence... I think the WIP marker means they're clearly not done on the presentation side yet.

At least to me it was clear from the start that not all of the ideas could be put into game due to the limited Budget. But I am sure Yu does what he could to make the best out of the game.

I might Sound like a broken record now (sorry for that) but it is always esential to Keep the expectations in check. We are talking about a Kickstarter game. it is the attemp to create a complex 3d Action Adventure with a limited Budget. It is quite a experimental game.

I'm using wordplay here in that it is a "Kickstarted," not "Kickstarter" game, because this project must have outside financial backing. I don't see how you could make something this grand, regardless of its flaws, on a $7.1 million budget.

It's the same for facial animations. The way it's worded make it feels like it's the final result because it is said "we learned and completly assimilated the technology to FINALLY reach that result".
Sorry to bring this back up, but let me know if the Google translate version of this quote is accurate to the French or not:

"We had a lot of trouble early in the development with everything related to rendering the physics of the characters. Then, little by little, we learned, evolved and completely assimilated the technology, to finally arrive at this result."

(original)
"On a en effet eu beaucoup de peine au début du développement avec tout ce qui concerne le rendering du physique des personnages. Ensuite, petit à petit, on a appris, évolué et complètement assimilé la technologie, pour enfin arriver à ce résultat."

Because despite the slightly goofy wording, this answer and the question the led into it seem to relate to the physically based rendering of characters, rather than every aspect to them like animation, etc. The finality of the wording might definitely be accurate, but I think it's very specifically about how they've improved the models based on learning PBR graphics pipelines (which we can see in the trailer).

Sorry to bring this back up, but let me know if the Google translate version of this quote is accurate to the French or not:

"We had a lot of trouble early in the development with everything related to rendering the physics of the characters. Then, little by little, we learned, evolved and completely assimilated the technology, to finally arrive at this result."

(original)
"On a en effet eu beaucoup de peine au début du développement avec tout ce qui concerne le rendering du physique des personnages. Ensuite, petit à petit, on a appris, évolué et complètement assimilé la technologie, pour enfin arriver à ce résultat."

Because despite the slightly goofy wording, this answer and the question the led into it seem to relate to the physically based rendering of characters, rather than every aspect to them like animation, etc. The finality of the wording might definitely be accurate, but I think it's very specifically about how they've improved the models based on learning PBR graphics pipelines (which we can see in the trailer).

Well then again, it'd be an answer unrelated to the question since the question was about the faces. But then again, the french interview has some goofy wording indeed like for "rendering du physique" which I believe was physical rendering meant here.

A dedicated topic for the gameblog.fr article can be viewed HERE.

Other major gaming outlets who have conducted interviews at MAGIC will also have their own dedicated topic going forward.

Poor Ryo, getting beat up so bad by that Mongolian wrestler that he won't have the right kind of strength to pull off throws for the next few weeks. Hopefully by the beginning of Shenmue 4 he'll have recovered enough to supplement his striking moves with throws once again. [/canon]

Regarding the French interview, it's great the Yu is using the unpublished music tracks from the first two games!

Does anyone know if any original scores will also be composed for S3?

That was the plan in February 2016, though I don't know what they've ended up doing three years later.

Google translate had the hardest difficulty listed as being called "stop it!", though I'm sure that's just a machine translation goof. Hilarious if that's the actual name though.

That's literally what I shout when being clobbered from all angles in a game, so it's spot on if you ask me.

And I'll probably have to repeat this in the new dedicated thread about the interview, but I'd advise caution over the "non-Sega videogames" question, as something tells me there's at least a possibility - either through mistranslation or Suzuki simply speaking too broadly - that his response may have related to arcade games in general, not necessarily those played on a screen. So for now, I'd temper your expectations when it comes to playing Paper Boy or Donkey Kong in Shenmue 3.

Whatever the difficult settings are, I hope it's obvious which one is the intended difficulty (i.e. What Suzuki had in mind as the default difficulty the game is designed with in mind). It's usually 'normal' but you never know. Some games are best played on hard.

Shenmue doesn't seem like the kind of game that needs difficulty settings. Personally, I'm not actually a big fan of them in general, as I like games to be developed with a clear, cohesive direction.... That said, I'm not totally against them, because it allows greater inclusion and accessibility for all gamers of different age ranges, abilities and so on. Also, I think they're useful for those with learning difficulties and disabilities who might struggle with quick reactions or more difficult aspects of games.

I really don't know how I feel about Shenmue 3 at this moment in time. I have so much excitement and dread blended into one that it's merging into an emotion that I don't think I've ever felt before.
Right there with you man...the Edge preview got me excited but now I’m...hmm. Just hoping as much of the ‘Shenmue feel’ can be retained as possible

I'm confused. From what I can remember, the Edge article said that all of Ryo's moves from 1+2 are in the third game. Surely that would mean throws, too?

Back