Media impressions of the 15 minute gameplay trailer

I'm confused. From what I can remember, the Edge article said that all of Ryo's moves from 1+2 are in the third game. Surely that would mean throws, too?
There's something of a conflict of information. I'd wait until the IGN US translation to come out for now.

Shadow blade/step,Swallow Flip,Machine-gun fist,Demon drop,Dark side Hazuki, Wild throw & Arm-break Fire were classic faves of mine.

I'll be sad if they're gone. Was looking forward to a modern realistic representation too. Since Yu wanted to potray "Realistic fighting" as part of the ambition in S3 and throws are bread and butter of Jui Jutsu as well...Ryo losing "heritage art" from his father would be a dis-service to the character/world building staple imho.:crying::(:cautious:
Swallow Flip didn't use the throw button I recall? Otherwise by that logic counter-elbow assault would also be removed. And just because there are no throw moves doesn't mean more moves like machine gun fist for example wont be done in a different way since that's not technically a grapple.

I'm confused. From what I can remember, the Edge article said that all of Ryo's moves from 1+2 are in the third game. Surely that would mean throws, too?
Yeah it doesn't make any sense. Do we know when the IGN US translation should be up?

I really don't know how I feel about Shenmue 3 at this moment in time. I have so much excitement and dread blended into one that it's merging into an emotion that I don't think I've ever felt before.

Please don't feel dread. I know you all will, but when you get this game, the entire emotion will be so positive you will look back and think wtf. The dynamic of this place will change. 100%

Great video from The Kenjito Master channel showing exhaustively all the moves in Shenmue 1&2, including the throw moves we may miss:

I really hope that the US IGN translation will be released soon. I am really curious now what is going one concerning the throws. The infos that all techniques from the past are in the game and then there are no throws is contradictory. Does not make any sense at all. I am really curious now. I am not sure yet if I would miss the throws if they are really missing. I do not enough about the fighting system to really judge it. But it is still interesting to know if they are omitted or not.

Are there any old games Suzuki has access to that isn't licensed by SEGA?
Unless he made something in college, no. His first published game was Champion Boxing on the SG-1000.

EDIT- Totally misread what you said, lol.

Last edited:
Arcade games doesn't necessarily mean video arcade games. I am thinking there will be games along the lines of air hockey, pinball, etc. Or I could be wrong and there could be really simplified martial arts training video games.

Heck, if Baisha was 70% complete for example, I wouldn't mind if they cut that whole chapter of the story and put it into Shenmue 4.
Wait, do we have reason to believe Baisha has been cut? I'd be surprised as it was the first thing on the stretch goal list.

As a game designer, Baisha is the part Yu is the most excited about, and so am I.
I'm happy they have spoiled it again.

My guess is that "no Sega games" means completely new ones made specifically for Shenmue 3, possibly including some kind of forklift simulator.

Please don't feel dread. I know you all will, but when you get this game, the entire emotion will be so positive you will look back and think wtf. The dynamic of this place will change. 100%

I have no doubts Pete, I think it's just the unknown, but we're all afraid of that.

Most annoying thing now is people actively calling for a delay because of what is standard quality automatic lipsync in the trailer.
I mean, in theory an animator is supposed to touch that stuff up even with the algorithmic sync, and I think there are examples of that in the trailer, but a huge volume of lines is obviously going to impact how much attention it all gets.

But I do agree agitating for a delay is probably not worth it. The game is complete, and the next five months will be about debug, tuning, and upgrading as Yu said.

Most annoying thing now is people actively calling for a delay because of what is standard quality automatic lipsync in the trailer.
To be fair, I was just playing the rerelease of 2 in english, and it's like Ryo's mouth doesn't move at all. It opens, but just stays open and doesn't move much until he's done talking. It's very jarring lmfao

Back