Media impressions of the 15 minute gameplay trailer

Doesn't make me feel hopeful when I read that maybe they couldn't put half of the stuff they wanted, or that relations/interactions with NPCs wont be as deep as previous games :/
Reading into it too much. Yu is famous for wanting to cram as much stuff in as possible and having to leave things on the table for the next game. It's part of the reason why he handed off VF, because he'd done all he wanted to do.

Reading into it too much. Yu is famous for wanting to cram as much stuff in as possible and having to leave things on the table for the next game. It's part of the reason why he handed off VF, because he'd done all he wanted to do.

Yeah, for this one, I feel like it's Yu's honesty striking here as a disservice. But a lot of the french wording here is a bit worrying, hence why I hope something was lost in translation here.

Erf... Lot of disappointing stuff :/
Doesn't make me feel hopeful when I read that maybe they couldn't put half of the stuff they wanted, or that relations/interactions with NPCs wont be as deep as previous games :/
I really hope something was lost in translation here because... yikes :/

Good news though is we're still getting the backer demo that was promised.

i dont think its that bad. he says that he never had the chance to put everything he wanted in his games.
so its not like Shenmue 3 is a bad exception.
one of his examples is that he would have liked more time to tweak the engine. so hes probably talking about
a lot of different small things. i dont think that hes talking about missing key features for the story experience.

Moreover, it's pretty the story your heard from every game projects.

Shenmue games were supposed to get plenty additional stuff (dialogues, fishing, the Tiger Gate Building, details) but that didn't prevent them to be great.

Making a video game is always a matter of compromise.

Jeez, some of you guys are so negative.

Yu also stated he has never been able to implement everything he wants into every game he has ever developed...
IIRC in After Burner, once the player was shot down they were originally supposed to be able to parachute down and continue forward on foot. Out Run was supposed to have oncoming traffic and even a story and cutscenes at every checkpoint.

Relying on Google Translate to read a French interview that has answers interpreted from Japanese...it's not an ideal situation :whistle:

Yu doesn't even say he couldn't fit 50% of his ideas into Shenmue III. He said he couldn't fit 50% of his ideas into other games and the interviewer asked if that was also the case with Shenmue III...to which he replies maybe, but not really -- basically. It was like he gently disagreed with the interviewer.

The NPC comment is particularly hard to parse. It seems like he's partly talking about NPC relationships to one another (e.g. backstory). He mentions the small-town feel of the original game being different to Shenmue III, like it made more sense for NPCs to talk to you in that game than it does in III. I'll accept that reasoning! Especially since it sounds like the "important" NPCs have been fleshed out more, which could be what the "Here, we have emphasized elsewhere" comment is referring to.

Dudes. have some faith. We're going to lose somethings. We knew it all along.
Perhaps well be winning new things that make up for the ones we're losing. Or even surpasse those.
Faith! FAITH!
Yu Suzuki is no longer a Sega employee. I imagine he would lose a lot of time trying to get the old Sega arcade games in to this new shenmue game. Maybe he didn't want to bother at all with that.
Maybe the new ones are good!
Like Pinball! I love Pinball! Having Pinball in shenmue3 is super cool! At least for me.

Last edited:
I just read that interview from the French site...so the game really is finished and in debugging? Okay, maybe it's gonna be out August 27th after all. That eases my mind a little bit. Although, I'm still not half convinced there won't be a delay of some sort.

I have faith in Yu. I believe he can do it. I haven't given up faith on Suzuki-san! The fact that we're even getting this game is a miracle in and of itself. If you had asked me back in 2010...I would have told you there was no realistic chance it would ever come...and yet here we are in 2019 and it's almost here. I believe he can pull off something special in the long run.

I just read that interview from the French site...so the game really is finished and in debugging? Okay, maybe it's gonna be out August 27th after all. That eases my mind a little bit. Although, I'm still not half convinced there won't be a delay of some sort.

I have faith in Yu. I believe he can do it. I haven't given up faith on Suzuki-san! The fact that we're even getting this game is a miracle in and of itself. If you had asked me back in 2010...I would have told you there was no realistic chance it would ever come...and yet here we are in 2019 and it's almost here. I believe he can pull off something special in the long run.

i think there will be no delay. nothing at the Magic Monaco show sounded like there will be a delay,
no suspicious statements from Deep Silver or Koch Media
and Suzukis second answer in that interview is: yes the game is finished.

the only thing that makes us worried is the missing release date at the end of the trailer
but everything else sounds like the release date will be in August.

If they are tuning and in debug stage I think we will hit August.

The prospect of other video games in Shenmue 3 excites me greatly. Something I wasn't wholly expecting given he couldn't put SEGA games in.

Also the backer demo confirmed as coming is awesome, though I need a PC that can run it haha, then again avoiding it might be best. We shall see.

Im quite excited after hearing all these little snippets. Sod the graphics the rest of the game will more than make up for any issues (not that I have any personally) that people pick up on.

Shenmue 3 is coming. Lets make it a success so we can get Shenmue 4!

You have to laugh.

Four years ago many here thought the game would be little more than a Telltale version of Shenmue.

At this point, it sounds like theyve made Shenmue, but cut some features here and there to ensure it’s Shenmue.

Now we’re worried about what’s been cut and not what is...

And for the record, he said he’d like to do things like have the player be able to manipulate a character’s fingers. He thinks very large, which is mostly what he’s talking about when he says he couldn’t do many things he’d like to have done.

Last edited:
Yeah it is really impressive how far we come. For many years a Shenmue 3 was considered as impossible and now here we are talking about minor Details that were possible cut. It is good that the fans have visions and care about the Series but we should never ever forget the routes of Shenmue 3.

It is a Kickstarter Project and not a big Project backed backed by the old Sega. We are pretty Close to told Shenmue Games and 3 really feels like a modern day Shenmue which impressive. Yu and his Team did a great Job.

Do not get me wrong guys I am not going to say that you should not be cirtical. Beeing critical is not a bad Thing, but still should never forget the routes of the game and be happy that we came this far.

Relying on Google Translate to read a French interview that has answers interpreted from Japanese...it's not an ideal situation :whistle:

Yu doesn't even say he couldn't fit 50% of his ideas into Shenmue III. He said he couldn't fit 50% of his ideas into other games and the interviewer asked if that was also the case with Shenmue III...to which he replies maybe, but not really -- basically. It was like he gently disagreed with the interviewer.

The NPC comment is particularly hard to parse. It seems like he's partly talking about NPC relationships to one another (e.g. backstory). He mentions the small-town feel of the original game being different to Shenmue III, like it made more sense for NPCs to talk to you in that game than it does in III. I'll accept that reasoning! Especially since it sounds like the "important" NPCs have been fleshed out more, which could be what the "Here, we have emphasized elsewhere" comment is referring to.

I don't use Google Translate to read the French interview. I'm a native french speaker :p
So yes, that's why I hope something from Japanese -> French was lost in translation. But otherwise, I'm relying here on the pure French interview here, as a native French speaker.
What he said in French is "Maybe... but at least I could do more than what was planned at first with the Kickstarter".

As for NPCs, the question was "what kind of relationship can we expect WITH them" and not "between them". Now maybe Yu Suzuki's answer is about "between them" as he says it's a different approach with Shenmue I, where Ryo and everyone knew each others, but then he said "we're doing something different here" "they don't have as deep relationships as before". The answer and the question are indeed hardly related here, hence my worry.

It's the same for facial animations. The way it's worded make it feels like it's the final result because it is said "we learned and completly assimilated the technology to FINALLY reach that result".

Never mind waiting 5 months, but imagine playing a demo in 2-3 months...

To be honest, I'm not even sure I want to play the demo hahahaha.
On the other hand, I feel like it'd be a waste not to... and I'd love to share 4k downsampled from 8k screenshots with everyone :p

To be honest, I'm not even sure I want to play the demo hahahaha.
On the other hand, I feel like it'd be a waste not to... and I'd love to share 4k downsampled from 8k screenshots with everyone :p

Well one thing I've thought about recently, is that say, we had a demo just running around one of the small areas in Bailu Village and there was zero story involved... then that would be ok. As long as the story is not spoiled in any way, or even on that, if it's just what we have already heard of from Edge, then I would be ok with that.

I’m confused.

If they mention how in Shenmue I Ryo knew everyone and you shouldn’t expect the kind of deep relationship between npcs in Shenmue III how is that any different than II? Ryo is in a foreign nation. Why would you expect other wise? The npcs that get lots of detail will most likely be his friends - Shenhua, Ren, villains, whoever else - but even that is no different from II.

What are you expecting? For Ryo to know the local flower girl the way he does Nozomi?

At least to me it was clear from the start that not all of the ideas could be put into game due to the limited Budget. But I am sure Yu does what he could to make the best out of the game.

I might Sound like a broken record now (sorry for that) but it is always esential to Keep the expectations in check. We are talking about a Kickstarter game. it is the attemp to create a complex 3d Action Adventure with a limited Budget. It is quite a experimental game.

Back