Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive for PC Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever everyone. Let's pretend it's nothing. It's just platform warriors. All these kickstarter comments (which are all backers btw) are just here for platform warring, they dont care about Shenmue.

It's fine if Deep Silver and YsNet turned the whole thing into a mess. I guess Shenmue III had to happen to end up in a disaster and kill the serie for good.
No one is saying that. It is a mess and they should offer Steam codes or refunds for those who really want it. But it's the level and intensity of the backlash that I can't get behind, and some forums basically exist to fuel these types of fires, because saying anything contrary to popular opinion is frowned upon, and the more extreme you are the more you're boosted and accepted. It's a classic echo chamber. It happened to me previously when I said I wouldn't boycott THQN games -- I got absolutely dog-piled, and my post wasn't even remotely controversial in the slightest.

And would you have guessed it, the user who clearly got me banned got himself banned a few minutes later by insulting someone and their wife. Clearly in a rational frame of mind regarding this stuff.

Don’t fall for the steam monopoly propaganda...

What propaganda ? You're the one serving me the Epic Store propaganda. That's it's better for everyone and on. I'm sorry, it's not. It's a worse environnement for both customers and devs because the tools are terrible and close to non existent.

THIS. That's so simple to understand, yet there seems to be people who don't understand it.
This is the logical way of looking it and makes me assume that those responsible for the decision reasoned that the game wouldn’t sell well enough for this to make much of a difference.

It’s difficult to know the exact number of backers that opted for the PC version, but assuming DS would be obliged to pay epic 5% of each one for engine licensing, they may have decided that the money saved from the 10k-20k copies they have already sold would equate to more than they envisaged making from new sales of the PC release. If this deal gets them off the hook for the engine license fee for the console release too, then I’d suggest it’s even more likely that this is what happened. If so, it says a lot about their expectations for the game and their regard for their fan base.

We’ll never know whether or not that would have been the case now, but their decision has made it all but certain that it will be.

It doesn't have to be my friend to give customers a better service.

What propaganda ? You're the one serving me the Epic Store propaganda. That's it's better for everyone and on. I'm sorry, it's not. It's a worse environnement for both customers and devs because the tools are terrible and close to non existent.

"At the end of the day when we look back at this moment we’ll realize that this was the moment where the digital stores on PC became unmonopolized," he continued. "And we’re all going to look back and see how change happened and how costs for developers and publishers to be on stores went down and how that value was passed on to the customers."

"At the end of the day when we look back at this moment we’ll realize that this was the moment where the digital stores on PC became unmonopolized," he continued. "And we’re all going to look back and see how change happened and how costs for developers and publishers to be on stores went down and how that value was passed on to the customers."

I dont think you want to rely on Pitchford's comments considering how the guy is a scammer. He literally scammed SEGA With Colonial Marines, outsourcing the developpement of the game SEGA paid them to developp and pushed a good chunk of the funds toward Borderlands 2.

I have mixed feelings about all of this and I understand both sides. One, the business aspect as to go for the best financial outcome which was going down this path. I feel like they have no faith in their own backers and potential buyers to make this game profitable enough alone in the long run to see a return investment which is a big reason why they shook hands with the "devil" here, and two, the backers who don't want to use this launcher for various reasons stated in other places and all over this thread. The fact that the store has no controller support? Really? Shenmue will be frustrating to play without a controller for sure! No offline mode? Wow! Oh and the controversial history surrounding the store all together? Uh oh!

I really wish the publishers or whoever made this decision understand that if it wasn't for the backers, there would be no game whatsoever or profit to be had from it, so I feel like they are dissing the very people that had even got this up off the ground to even give them the opportunity to make any money from this in the first place. They won't see that since to them they see the very same backers as mere pawns that was used to help them profit without a single thank you. I'm talking about the the publisher or whoever here.

Now the other side, I'm frustrated with how immature the gaming community is as a whole to the point of pretty much all but cutting myself off from it. I have a lot of issues with their high level of immaturity, their mob mentality, childish fanboy wars that I expect in a schoolyard, and overall stupid bickering over the dumbest crap I've have ever seen in my life! I never seen a group of grown ass or grown enough people to handle bad or negative news the way they do. It is one thing to not be happy about something, and I'm not here to invalidate anyone for being unhappy, but death threats, briganding, and so on is only making this community look even worse as always! That is why I make it a point not to defend this community as a whole if someone outside of it insults or taunts it in any way because they often live up to their own stereotypes. Sad part about this its not even limited to gaming, especially these days! Entertainment as a whole seems to have this problem in general. I realize this goes back to a societal problem overall!

I'm not talking about anyone here who who hasn't done any of that and pretty much stayed leveled headed or didn't go crazy and started to attack people or even threatened or cursed them! This isn't even about them not liking this game being tied to the epic store on the PC, but the way people are going crazy over it is the problem.

It is not even Wednesday, yet this whole epic game launcher mess already spoiled what we were going to get then. Everyone seemed to have forgotten about that and was complaining as if that was the only thing we were going to get as far as new content went. What a shame and a mess. This is just another hard life reminder that you can't have everything you want. Shenmue III at this point is pretty much a game of corrupt a wish right now.

EDIT: Alright it seems like Epic is addressing some of those issues I listed at first so it isn't as bad or at it will not be in the long run, but lack of controller and such really needs to be addressed pretty quickly though.

Last edited:
I dont think you want to rely on Pitchford's comments considering how the guy is a scammer. He literally scammed SEGA With Colonial Marines, outsourcing the developpement of the game SEGA paid them to developp and pushed a good chunk of the funds toward Borderlands 2.

"At the end of the day when we look back at this moment we’ll realize that this was the moment where Pitchford stuck his thumb up his ass" he continued. "And we’re all going to look back and see how the chinese goverment was inside all our computers, monopolized gaming, ramped up the prices and killed the industry because they are fucking billions and no one could compete with dictatorship driven capitalism. Now we have to buy games using social points, I can't buy any game because I called china "kinda gay"."
Anyone can say whatever and speculate out of their ass, the truth for now is that steam offers a better service and has a bigger player base.
If it works for them, great, it's normal that some backers feel bad for the move (that literally doesn't benefit them in any way), specially since it's a KS.

I really wish the publishers or whoever made this decision understand that if it wasn't for the backers, there would be no game whatsoever or profit to be had from it, so I feel like they are dissing the very people that had even got this up off the ground to even give them the opportunity to make any money from this in the first place.
That's what makes it even weirder, it's not that backers funded the game, but if it was really the need for a KS in the first place.
We know Sony offered marketing and assistance, Shibuya put the bigger part of the money (bigger than the KS), they needed a kickstarter to get deep silver and tencent on board ?
Most people wouldn't say anything if it was just another deal, it being a KS gives it another layer of complexity.

Being mad because the game is not in steam is a Thing only Plattform warriors would do. We are all biased to certain degree and there is nothing wrong with having a favourite Plattform. But trying to defend brand loyalty with some other more serious reasons is the wrong way.

Ok Point taken, steam might have some Features that the epic store does not have, but does it make the Game worse? Do you really need the features that Steam has and the epic store does not have to enjoy the Game? I somehow do not think so.

Shenmue 3 will be the same game on the epic launcher, as it would be on steam. Political bias aside.

The pc backers can still Play the game on the PC so screaming DS betrayed them is a bit over the top.

The PC Version was not cancelled.

I have mixed feelings about all of this and I understand both sides. One, the business aspect as to going for the best financial outcome which was going down this path. I feel like they have no faith in their own backers and potential buyers to make this game profitable enough alone in the long run to see a return investment which is a big reason why they shook hands with the "devil" here, and two, the backers who don't want to use this launcher for various reasons stated in other places and all over this thread. The fact that the store has no controller support? Really? Shenmue will be frustrating to play without a controller for sure! No offline mode? Wow! Oh and the controversial history surrounding the store all together? Uh oh!

I really wish the publishers or whoever made this decision understand that if it wasn't for the backers, there would be no game whatsoever or profit to be had from it, so I feel like they are dissing the very people that had even got this up off the ground to even give them the opportunity to make any money from this in the first place. They won't see that since to them they see the very same backers as mere pawns that was used to help them profit without a single thank you. I'm talking about the the publisher or whoever here.

Now the other side, I'm frustrated with how immature the gaming community is as a whole to the point of pretty much all but cutting myself off from it. I have a lot of issues with their high level of immaturity, their mob mentality, childish fanboy wars that I expect in a schoolyard, and overall stupid bickering over the dumbest crap I've have ever seen in my life! I never seen a group of grown ass or grown enough people to handle bad or negative news the way they do. It is one thing to not be happy about something, and I'm not here to invalidate anyone for being unhappy, but death threats, briganding, and so on is only making this community look even worse as always! That is why I make it a point not to defend this community as a whole if someone outside of it insults or taunts it in any way because they often live up to their own stereotypes. Sad part about this its not even limited to gaming, especially these days! Entertainment as a whole seems to have this problem in general. I realize this goes back to a societal problem overall!

I'm not talking about anyone here who who hasn't done any of that and pretty much stayed leveled headed or didn't go crazy and started to attack people or even threatened or cursed them! This isn't even about them not liking this game being tied the epic store on the PC, but the way people are going crazy over it is the problem.

It is not even Wednesday, yet this whole epic game launcher mess already spoiled what we were going to get then. Everyone seemed to have forgotten about that and was complaining as if that was the only thing we were going to get as far as new content went. What a shame and a mess. This is just another hard life reminder that you can't have everything you want. Shenmue III at this point is pretty much a game of corrupt a wish at this point.

"At the end of the day when we look back at this moment we’ll realize that this was the moment where Pitchford stuck his thumb up his ass" he continued. "And we’re all going to look back and see how the chinese goverment was inside all our computers, monopolized gaming, ramped up the prices and killed the industry because they are fucking billions and no one could compete with dictatorship driven capitalism. Now we have to buy games using social points, I can't buy any game because I called china "kinda gay"."
Anyone can say whatever and speculate out of their ass, the truth for now is that steam offers a better service and has a bigger player base.
If it works for them, great, it's normal that some backers feel bad for the move (that literally doesn't benefit them in any way), specially since it's a KS.

And there lies the Steam monopoly propaganda...

And there lies the Steam monopoly propaganda...

Man, you've been throwing Tim Sweeney's comments and charts all over the place. Don't talk about propaganda when you're here to tell us "Look, EGS is good it's for the best !"

Being mad because the game is not in steam is a Thing only Plattform warriors would do. We are all biased to certain degree and there is nothing wrong with having a favourite Plattform. But trying to defend brand loyalty with some other more serious reasons is the wrong way.

Ok Point taken, steam might have some Features that the epic store does not have, but does it make the Game worse? Do you really need the features that Steam has and the epic store does not have to enjoy the Game? I somehow do not think so.

Shenmue 3 will be the same game on the epic launcher, as it would be on steam. Political bias aside.

The pc backers can still Play the game on the PC so screaming DS betrayed them is a bit over the top.

The PC Version was not cancelled.

People are being mad because they were betrayed.

formal If someone betrays something such as a promise, they do not do what they promised:

That's what betraying means. They promised something in their surveys. They lied.

So Steam=Pc for you. The only way to Play PC games is steam? Bringing the game to another launcher than steam on PC is betrayal.

Such brand loyality is remarkable. Not playing a game you want just it does not come out on the prefered launcher is impressive.

I only wonder if Steam deserves that Kind of loyality. Not sure about it.

Man, you've been throwing Tim Sweeney's comments and charts all over the place. Don't talk about propaganda when you're here to tell us "Look, EGS is good it's for the best !"

People are being mad because they were betrayed.

formal If someone betrays something such as a promise, they do not do what they promised:

That's what betraying means. They promised something in their surveys. They lied.

You’re putting platform propaganda over playing a better supported Shenmue III...

To be fair we are not sure if Shenmue 3 is really better supported on the epic store, but I think that the game won't be worse than steam. I think the Quality will be at least equal to steam. If it is better than it is great.

PS: DS is really lucky that they just changed the free launcher. Not to imagine how the Internet would burn if the moved S3 exclusiv to Google Stadia. In that case I would scream betrayal too.

So Steam=Pc for you. The only way to Play PC games is steam? Bringing the game to another launcher than steam on PC is betrayal.

Such brand loyality is remarkable. Not playing a game you want just it does not come out on the prefered launcher is impressive.

I only wonder if Steam deserves that Kind of loyality. Not sure about it.

Brand loyalty ?

Okay, just a quick question 9dragons:
What if your copy of Shenmue III that you backed had a always online checking on PS4 ? What if your copy of Shenmue III couldn't be lended to a friend that you like ? What if your copy of Shenmue III on PS4 meant you cant use your Dualshock 4 ? What if your copy of Shenmue III had no trophies nor cloud saves despite the fact you happen to be on the go often ?

This isn't about brand loyalty. This is giving me a worse product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back