Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive For PC Version! Part 2

The problem isn't fans reacting badly. Deep Silver knew this would happen, because it happens every time and they've done it before. Shenmue relies on a brilliant fan community and the game had a ton of goodwill initially. Deep Silver have knowingly thrown much of that in the bin.

Shenmue 3 could have appeared on every platform at launch. We need decent sales for the series to continue. The negativity that DS and Epic have wrought can only damage potential sales, including on console.

Do I have to give the Epic store any card details to reclaim a Shenmue 3 code? I can hold a grudge forever so I won't be using their platform to buy anything.

I don't think so. The redeem code page doesn't seem to require anything further than the code (presuming you have a login and password).

One thing that absolutely sucks though is the age verification process - which hasn't worked once.

@Tosh

There another one for you:
unknown.png

Order summary. With a price attached.

unknown.png

And another one. Order Summary. With a price attached to it.

And as I said, if I wanted to, I could've also buy an additionnal copy and pay them with another payment option.

Backlash is warranted for the people that spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for the "In-game content" only accessible for backers that invested more. Not only do I have to install another launcher instead of keeping Shenmue I & II and Shenmue III in the same platform I can't even play the games offline!
It's serious reduce in user experience and value.
Is it warrented if the content is delivered via Epic?

I get the issues around Malware, support etc but in principle (and I'm no law expert) they are providing the PC version just through a different delivery platform, even if it is inferior.

The version of the game you will get is the same version that would have been delivered on Steam, the client is different, thus the support/extras of the client are different. I would presume they would provide all digital backer rewards via Epic.

I'm not saying it was right to do this, they should have contacted backers and opened a dialouge. It would have avoided this to a point. What has to happen now is they ensure deliver all promised bits and give the option of Steam or Epic for thise backers. If not then Epic or a refund if people want to go for it.

They should engage backers.

That's my last on this.

When you put it like this EGS seems like an absolute no-brainer
The problem is EGS exclusivity. Having giant outlets slate the game over this will damage sales across all platforms. EGS is also a terrible launcher with no community forums to help with technical issues, something Steam is good for.

I will never forget where I was on the day that sparked the Shenmue Civil War

The problem is a double one:
  1. Some backers are overreacting before dialogue is even opened with all parties involved, going as far as name calling people.
  2. Some backers are adopting a "fuck you, got mine" mentality, in which nothing changes for them and tell others who are impacted to "deal with it" when they should be with us.

When you put it like this EGS seems like an absolute no-brainer

Except that's not the whole story. Steam also allows devs/publishers as many keys for resale as they require at no cost - no cut taken by Steam either. So even if you assume the sales on each platform would be so close despite the vast gulf in active users, it's ignoring additional revenue streams.

I don't know how Epic key resales work, presumably similarly, there are very few Epic key resellers as compared to Steam key resellers.

It also ignores the additional cost of supporting games on Epic as opposed to Steam. Steam is a one-stop shop - everything can be done on Steam. This isn't the case for Epic.

You know, I had to buy my new car from a dodgy dealership near my house and I hated dealing with the people there (true story). They tried to screw me over a few times, but I sucked it up because they had the car I wanted and the price was right.

I spent way more money on my car than anyone here has spent on Shenmue III, and I had to pay that money directly into that dealerships pocket -- something we don't have to do with Epic -- but guess what? It was worth it, because I got the car I wanted.

If I can do that for a car, why the hell can't people do something far more trivial for a fucking video game? It blows my goddamn mind.

You know, I had to buy my new car from a dodgy dealership near my house and I hated dealing with the people there (true story). They tried to screw me over a few times, but I sucked it up because they had the car I wanted and the price was right.

I spent way more money on my car than anyone here has spent on Shenmue III, and I had to pay that money directly into that dealerships pocket -- something we don't have to do with Epic -- but guess what? It was worth it, because I got the car I wanted.

If I can do that for a car, why the hell can't people do something far more trivial for a fucking video game? It blows my goddamn mind.

Simple exemple:

What if that dealership told you "I'm selling you this red car, with air conditionner". Then when he delivered it to you it was pink, without air conditionner.
You still have a car, right ? It's as fast ? It's as good, right ? Well yet, that's not how you wanted your car.

@GhostTrick

"Your order Tier: Signed Kickstarter CE."
"Your backer survey", "Survey for Signed Kickstarter CE".
"Survey for backers"
"The email contains a link to your survey with the questions needed for your rewards."

you gave them 300 dollars to create Shenmue 3 and as a thank-you they are giving you a signed Shenmue 3 CE
which you will receive. the details of what game version etc is still part of the Kickstarter rewards.
there is no guarantee or rule that you will receive every reward.

if Fangamer dot com offered you a Shenmue 3 Steam key (not "Shenmue 3 PC", not "Shenmue 3 CE" etc)
in their shop and you paid exactly for that Steam key
and nothing else, than thats something else. but thats not the case right?

so its exactly how i said, you dont have a deed of sale because you didnt order anything at Fangamer.
Fangamer is communicating with you in the name of YS Net.
Fangamer takes care of the Kickstarter survey for YS Net.
thats why everything says "survey", "backer", "Kickstarter", "Kickstarter tier", "Kickstarter upgrade".
they asked you what rewards you would like to receive, you didnt order rewards.
even if you upgraded your Kickstarter tier later, its still a Kickstarter tier, you didnt order something.

all of the money you gave YS Net, in the time where the Kickstarter was active and in the additional time after that
was used for the target of the project. the rewards are not a part of the project goal.

you will receive the goal of the project - Shenmue 3 on Pc and Ps4. the project was a success. thats it.
thats all i have to say about this topic.
i just want to say again that im not defending this system, i would prefer if they would just send the correct rewards.
but still even if this whole thing is shady, i'm pretty sure as a company they are safe.

I'll go one step further and mention that five years ago I bought a house that had numerous issues that were either covered up or not mentioned prior to completion and only found out after moving in.

This car dealer bought exclusivity to cars and caused damage to brand 'car', harming your chances of ever buying another car.

Out of curiosity, what in game rewards will you not be able to access?
  • Backer-only Arcane Technique Scroll (In-game Item)
  • Skin-change feature for Ryo's Jacket (In-game Item)
  • International phone card (in-game item)

So if you want to play game on Steam you can buy the game again.... Which I don't mind but I will not get those reward on that second purchase.

@GhostTrick

"Your order Tier: Signed Kickstarter CE."
"Your backer survey", "Survey for Signed Kickstarter CE".
"Survey for backers"
"The email contains a link to your survey with the questions needed for your rewards."

you gave them 300 dollars to create Shenmue 3 and as a thank-you they are giving you a signed Shenmue 3 CE
which you will receive. the details of what game version etc is still part of the Kickstarter rewards.
there is no guarantee or rule that you will receive every reward.

if Fangamer dot com offered you a Shenmue 3 Steam key (not "Shenmue 3 PC", not "Shenmue 3 CE" etc)
in their shop and you paid exactly for that Steam key
and nothing else, than thats something else. but thats not the case right?

so its exactly how i said, you dont have a deed of sale because you didnt order anything at Fangamer.
Fangamer is communicating with you in the name of YS Net.
Fangamer takes care of the Kickstarter survey for YS Net.
thats why everything says "survey", "backer", "Kickstarter", "Kickstarter tier", "Kickstarter upgrade".
they asked you what rewards you would like to receive, you didnt order rewards.
even if you upgraded your Kickstarter tier later, its still a Kickstarter tier, you didnt order something.

all of the money you gave YS Net, in the time where the Kickstarter was active and in the additional time after that
was used for the target of the project. the rewards are not a part of the project goal.

you will receive the goal of the project - Shenmue 3 on Pc and Ps4. the project was a success. thats it.
thats all i have to say about this topic.
i just want to say again that im not defending this system, i would prefer if they would just send the correct rewards.
but still even if this whole thing is shady, i'm pretty sure as a company they are safe.

You're being obtuse, right ?

I'll repeat again:

"They allowed you to order ADDITIONNAL ITEMS".

If I had backed a PS4 version, they gave me, the option, on top of my PS4 order, to order a Steam version and PAY IT on THEIR SITE.

On every page, there's an "ORDER SUMMARY" with a price of "300 DOLLARS". It was prepaid yes, but it's still an order.

Just look at this:
unknown.png

"ORDER SUMMARY".

Your logic is super flawed. If "Signed Kickstarter Collector's Edition" was all I had to receive, that means they'd be free to send you ANY VERSION.

Of course you're defending the system ! Even when it's painfully written in big "'order summary" with a price attached to it, you dare to tell me "eh ! it's not an order !!"
Have you ever studied law ?

You know what, I really hope Google steps in, buy an exclusivity for Stadia so that we can all play it on streaming. And dont tell me "my system !!". You don't need a console or a controller to play Stadia games. You can even hook up your PS4 controller. I'd be glad for that to happen just to see if most of you would sing the same tune.

• Backer-only Arcane Technique Scroll (In-game Item)
  • Skin-change feature for Ryo's Jacket (In-game Item)
  • International phone card (in-game item)
So if you want to play game on Steam you can buy the game again.... Which I don't mind but I will not get those reward on that second purchase.

I see. So you will have access to them on Epic, but not if you have to but another copy on Steam later on. Am I understanding this right?

Back