Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive For PC Version! Part 2

Angry Joe just posted a video of top 10 worst E3 moments 2019 and Shenmue is number 1

well at least pretty much no one is talking about Shenmue in the comments.
and i mean Angry Joe says that he thinks that Shenmue was no fun
and he only wants to see where the story is going. he dislikes pretty much everything else
in the old games and in Shenmue 3.
also he says a lot of stuff like its proven facts but he doesnt know the truth.

and then he jumps on the Epic discussion train. nothing new.

and he only wants to see where the story is going. he dislikes pretty much everything else

I wish ya'll would stop dismissing the complaints of others. There is no "epic train" The criticism is deserved. Also, Joe's allowed to not like the game but still see how much of a circus the entire Epic Store situation is. Also what did he say that wasn't true or just a guess?

He said Deep Silver gave YS Money: Fact
He said YSNet's Kickstarter offered Steam keys: Fact, via FanGamer survey
He said Deep Silver/YSNet are refusing to grant the Steam keys: Fact
He said Deep Silver are denying backers are refund: Also a fact!

How does his opinion of disliking Shenmue make any of these facts not true?

Last edited:
I wish ya'll would stop dismissing the complaints of others. There is no "epic train" The criticism is deserved. Also, Joe's allowed to not like the game but still see how much of a circus the entire Epic Store situation is.

you can say what you want but Shenmue 3 is a game for fans, created because of fans.
if you start a discussion with "i think the old Shenmue games were no fun"
then you cant expect that the fans will take you seriously.
and people arent even agreeing with him, all the comments are about Bethesda.

What's Joe's knowledge and how much he likes the game got to do with the complaints? What he said is true. The backlash is deserved

you can say what you want but Shenmue 3 is a game for fans, created because of fans.
if you start a discussion with "i think the old Shenmue games were no fun"
then you cant expect that the fans will take you seriously.
and people arent even agreeing with him, all the comments are about Bethesda.

Whether or not he likes the game is irrelevant. He also heavily criticizes games he loves when he believes they are doing him wrong. Because it's deserved. He loves Bioware games, but doesn't mean he cant criticize Anthem and Andromeda.

This is what he said in the video:

He said Deep Silver gave YS Money: Fact
He said YSNet's Kickstarter offered Steam keys before Epic Game's Exclusivity: Fact, via FanGamer survey
He said Deep Silver/YSNet are refusing to grant the Steam keys: Fact
He said Deep Silver are denying backers a refund: Also a fact!

How does his opinion of disliking Shenmue make any of these facts not true?

I mean if even those who dislike the game can realize just how fucked a situation Deep Silver/YS Net (and yes, YS Net is to blame as well. They even gave an initially response to the backlash to explain about how much they discussed the Epic Games Store deal with Deep Silver and determined it was a good deal), I wonder why so many Shenmue fans can't? Not everything is a slight against the game for the sake of it. It's incredibly frustrating to see people who are supposedly fans just hand waving away legitimate complaints when the reality is this circumstance will only make Shenmue an less attractive IP in the end. Saying people are just throwing a fit isn't helping anything.

Last edited:
i really dont want to comment anything else in this topic. i mean this is the same thing again and again.
for like 50 pages.
if you want to spend your time with googling rage videos and ResetEra threads
and throw around your "facts" and that you bought a Steam key and how everything is so outrageous
even tho even Kickstarter already checked the campaign and they said its fine ...
whatever. give my regards to AngryJoe, thanks.

Here is an interesting legal video I've found. I'm still in the process of watching it. Pretty good so far.

Edit: good details start at the 15 min. mark.

Last edited:
Basically he said Kicstarter has strong new contracts in place and YsNet is still providing a PC copy and because one might have a moral/political objection to Epic - you dont have a case. The game is STILL coming to PC.

Spent the last 2 or 3 hours reading these topics and while I'm a bit sad I can't say that I'm surprised. Honestly I don't give a fuck about epic or steam or chinese government malware - and I backed the game both on PS4 and PC - I just wanna play it and feel what made me fall in love with the series so long ago. I get why people are upset, it's their right to be so. I just can't be bothered really, I've got enough shit in my life to deal with to care about inferior launchers and whatnot.

This was the shitestorm I had hope Yu wouldn't get caught up in the middle. Epic is prolly buying the lost sales with the money hat and that's why DS was okay with it knowing the bad PR following their own Metro debacle. At the end of the day, they're cutting their risk even if they got to backstab Yu through manipulation & lies. When Yu returns from E3 I hope he sees all this and call an emergency meeting to resolve people's grief. Shenmue 3+beyond will live and die by its fans("Fate of Shenmue is in your hands") first and foremost. Yu even cleaned up AJ srs blunders and did damage control for the KS just from catching bad PR whiff from the press.

Suzuki & Cedric can host a pre-order to buyout the contract via steam. If YsNet can meet the threshold they can take that chunk to buyout contract and resume business as usual and gain very good PR.

I feel so bad for Yu man. He just wants to deliver the saga to his fans but corporate/PR shenanigans has plague Shenmue 3 since its inception. Dude can't catch a break.

You're being naive if you think Yu is that gullible. I think the truth about this deal is simpler than we all imagine.

Yea I didn't read that to be honest. Anyone can dress it up as much as they want, and whilst I completely understand the criticism and genuine grievance of it all, it's how it was all conducted that has tarnished the reputation of so called "fans" for good. The venom, toxicity and uncontrollable concoction of fan comments would be something I would think was reserved for reacting to a mass genocide or catastrophe. Just as there's no taking back the Epic decision or how it was conducted, the 24 hour reaction cannot be taken back. It's one of the most saddening things I've been unlucky to bear witness to in gaming.

Hi Peter, I had to respond to your comment. Please don’t loose hope in the Shenmue Fanbase. I still believe that the Shenmue Fanbase is the best around! I've instantly got on well with any Shenmue fan that I've met in person.

Regarding everyone's dismay about the horrible comment that was sent to Suzuki-san (I don't want to repeat it here). I wonder if the poster was an actual fan of Shenmue, or from the Shenmue Dojo? Every society has rotten apples, and I guess that was one of them. I believe that all the people at the dojo and Shenmue fanbase condemn the posters actions.

I still think that the Shenmue Dojo has a great community compared to a lot of other forums. Everyone who is a member of the Shenmue Dojo feels passionately about Shenmue, if they didn't why else would they be here.
hqdefault.jpg

Here at the dojo I’ve noticed two main groups.

I've noticed that some people's love for the franchise makes them extremely positive and they always see a silver lining for every cloud (pun intend).
These people get annoyed with other people’s criticism and negativity.

On the other side, some people love Shenmue so much they are ultra-critical and don't want to see their beloved game get damaged in away way.
These people get annoyed with the rose-tinted glasses other people wear.

266386-usc01gb.jpg

Everyone can probably agree that this project hasn't been smooth sailing, and for some the Steam issue was the straw that broke the camel's back.

For me, I'm upset about the Steam issue, so I changed my PC Physical order to a PS4 Physical (I'll still end up buying multiple PS4 copies anyway :p). I hope that something could be done to fulfil the promise to bring Shenmue III to Steam, but in the worst case scenario I'm glad that it's still coming out on the PS4 and even though it's not my favourite platform I still get to play Yu Suzuki's game and continue the story of Shenmue.

Please don't give up on us all Peter!

Sorry about the long melodramatic message ;)

I want Yu suzuki to deliver the full Saga to us before his time is up. I don't trust his vision in anyone's elses hands.(Even SEGA) I will support this legend who has given so much to the industry and still retain the pure love for the craft at his age. I Just wish fans wouldn't be so quick to throw him under the bus over something he prolly was mislead or hoodwinked to believe was best for the franchise and fans.

I may be missing something here, but what is the big deal with the PC version being an Epic Store exclusive? If there was a physical release planned and advertised to backers before, I’d get it, but my understanding was that the physical versions were console only. Why is it such a big deal that you have to download the game through Front End A vs Front End B?

I may be missing something here, but what is the big deal with the PC version being an Epic Store exclusive? If there was a physical release planned and advertised to backers before, I’d get it, but my understanding was that the physical versions were console only. Why is it such a big deal that you have to download the game through Front End A vs Front End B?

The problem is that there are genuine issues with Epic Store, like concerns over security and privacy, and a much reduced feature set (including the lack of Linux compatibility) over other alternatives.

Back