Random Shenmue III Thoughts

If the lip flaps in the trailer follow the Japanese audio, maybe the gameplay is doing the same, or the English lip flaps aren't as far along. The English dialogue was only finished in March or something so it'd make sense.
Regardless, for the trailer they should have either hid or fixed it if that's the case. You can't just sell this game to Shenmue fans, the trailer is to hype others into buying and that's a poor way of promoting game.

Regardless, for the trailer they should have either hid or fixed it if that's the case. You can't just sell this game to Shenmue fans, the trailer is to hype others into buying and that's a poor way of promoting game.
I agree, I just don't think they had time. It's obvious the game is coming together late, hence the last-minute delay.

I’m not trolling, but I do have to ask how the new Blair Witch game looks like this, and Shenmue 3 looks like it does. The Blair Witch game has been in development since 2017 and is being made by Bloober Team, a team comprised of less than 40 members.

View attachment 3264View attachment 3265View attachment 3266View attachment 3267

Honestly, I am growing weary of posts like these. It's quite apparent after your comparison to Judgment that you want Shenmue 3 to look like a AAA title. I am sure most would be happy if that happened, but that's not the reality we're in. Your posts come off more and more like "Why can't Shenmue 3 look like this?” rather then provoking any genuine discussion.

A couple of years ago, Yu Suzuki stated in an interview that even with Deep Silver as a publisher that his budget had stabilized not dramatically increased. He went on to say that in order to have "Pristine Graphics" he would need ten times the budget he had.

As others have pointed out, if you're going to do these comparisons with other titles make sure they have the proper context. Show us independent open world titles that have the same scope, scale, and detail as Shenmue 3 is attempting. I think everyone would love it if Yu had a AAA budget to work with but it's not the case here. He's doing the best he can with what he's got. Even the best developers are going to struggle with their grand ambitions if they don't have the grand resources to back them up.

Last edited:
I’m not trolling, but I do have to ask how the new Blair Witch game looks like this, and Shenmue 3 looks like it does. The Blair Witch game has been in development since 2017 and is being made by Bloober Team, a team comprised of less than 40 members.

View attachment 3264View attachment 3265View attachment 3266View attachment 3267

What? So if me and you both were given a crayon and asked to draw a football, by your logic we should have the exact same drawing? Sorry but that stinks of troll 101.

Not only that, but in this analogy one person has to draw a football, and the other has to draw a football, the team, the stadium and all the spectators.

The scope of Shenmue III is simply much, much larger.

It's really annoying, isn't it? Why are Yakuza fanboys so obsessed with Shenmue? You guys get a new Yakuza game every year. Enjoy yourselves. Sheesh.

I'm obsessed because I love Shenmue MORE than Yakuza.

Happy? lol

I like Angry Joe and his channel a lot. In fact, he's one of my fav youtubers.
He was considering a playthrough of the first 2 Shenmues. Not now I believe.
That sucks.
To have my favourite game, placing in the numer 1 worst game at e3 by my fav youtuber is a strange feeling. LOL
I hope the game is good enough to clean up all this mess and bad press, and he can maybe review it and enjoy it for what it is.

What? So if me and you both were given a crayon and asked to draw a football, by your logic we should have the exact same drawing? Sorry but that stinks of troll 101.

Wild Man of Borneo has always been into his graphics, nothing wrong with that I suppose. I remember every time an Unreal Engine update would come out, he would post about it on the Kickstarter, though in more recent times he seems to have disappeared from the KS. Like a lot of people, really.

I find it funny how most critics on the current E3 Shenmue 3 trailer are judging the games "QUALITY" by using one lower tier NPC.

I mean by that logic this NPC should represent the "QUALITY" of the original games:

Instead of this: 3283

I guess this is easier to focus on:

Then this:

Giving over five hundred characters the royal treatment in character design would be something that Y's Net cannot afford. And even the originals that were AAA titles had to make these "QUALITY" characters. I don't see what Yu Suzuki is doing today is any different. It's all about context.

Angry Joe is talking about Shenmue 3. It made his #1 worst game of E3 list..
20:59

I had to Google this guy. What a surprise, one of a buttload of guys riding off the coattails of AVGN during the angry-nerds-screaming-about-videogames craze. And like many of them, his ranting doesn't make sense. Criticise a game for its graphics, acknowledge it came via Kickstarter, then bring up the Epic Games fiasco? Excellent analysis.

Edit: spelling

Back