SEGA: 'What is Shenmue?' Series [UPDATE: EPISODE 3 IS OUT!]

And I get it. I don't mind if anyone has a preference between the versions. I just don't like the elitist attitude some have. Like Shenmue II Dreamcast is like a $400 bottle of fine wine and Shenmue II Xbox is like a can of watered down beer that someone else has mixed with lukewarm water. Those people need to get over themselves.
I haven't seen anybody like that ITT tho...

Dreamcast version is definitely my preference, but I appreciate the improvements made in the xbox version. It's just a shame those improvements are completely destroyed by graphical errors, an awful dub, and over the top motion blur and bloom. This port tho seems to have the best of both versions, minus the graphical errors from the xbox version, so I'm pretty happy :)

I haven't seen anybody like that ITT tho...

Dreamcast version is definitely my preference, but I appreciate the improvements made in the xbox version. It's just a shame those improvements are completely destroyed by graphical errors, an awful dub, and over the top motion blur and bloom. This port tho seems to have the best of both versions, minus the graphical errors from the xbox version, so I'm pretty happy :)

What graphical errors? And the dub hyperbole is what rubs me the wrong way. What in the main characters' dialogue is so awful? Cheesy, fine, whatever, but awful? DId you see the link I posted about Wand Of Gamelan? The only thing I can agree with you on is the over the top blur and sometimes bloom.

Personally I find the English dub in Shenmue 2 quite a lot worse. Maybe it's because I'm more used to the Japanese dub in Shenmue 2 (whilst I'm more used to the English dub in Shenmue 1), but even the main characters sound bored and crap in Shenmue 2, even when compared with Shenmue 1's already dubious dub. Ren is crap. Joy is crap. Shenhua was worse than Shenhua's English counterpart in Shenmue 1. Corey Marshall just doesn't quite have the emotive punch that he had in some of Shenmue 1's scenes, being even more wooden than he was in the first game. It just isn't as good as Shenmue 1's dub.

I would be a hypocrite to bash the Xbox version from a technical standpoint as I would have never had the opportunity to play Shenmue had it not been for the Xbox release but as time goes on, I find it is easier to find critique regarding the games. While I enjoyed Ryo and Rens voiceacting in Shenmue II, some of the npcs were notoriously awful or flat out hilarious. Some of the voiceacting detracted from the story while others quite memorable. Fortunately we will now have the option to switch between languages.

Huh, I thought most people liked Ren’s English voice.

I did. It was more the npcs I had an issue with.
I liked Rens English voice but preferred the Japanese one.

Alot of the voices of characters comes down to the direction they were given. Think for Xiuying Hong, Lislie Wilkerson who did her voice was told to give her voice little to no emotion and it just doesn't work for me. Her voice for Joy is good.

For me the Japanese dub just fits better overall, it's personal opinion.

I think the new bloom looks terrible to be quite honest. I'd rather have the Xbox's more intense bloom than whatever this washed out glowy crap is.

Eh, I think most people here don't like how overly done the Xbox bloom was. This is much more natural. A good middleground between the original Dreamcast and Xbox versions look. Each to their own but I am sure they toned it down to not be so harsh on the eyes.

If you are getting the PC version at least, you should be able to mod it to have more intense bloom. If not by editing the bloom intensity via an .ini file, then a post processing overlay like SweetFX or ENBSeries would help. But it means you miss out on that stuff on consoles.

Play it in Japanese. Problem solved. The dub sucked, but it didn't bother me because the rest of the game is a work of art.

Am I allowed to comment on something that I saw/heard while looking at one of those early streams today?

Back