Shenmue III Backer Trial | General Thread

Its obvious from the demo that this isnt Ryo's first time meeting the people of Bailu, they arent all super cosy or anything but they know Ryo is Shenhua's friend, so there is some familiarity at least. Dont have a problem with Ryo saying yo to a couple people he's seen around, that he is on a first name basis with.

I haven’t played the demo yet just simply to wanting to get access to decent hardware to play it. But I just wanted to ask, even though in this day and age it could be considered as jarring for a modern game, but how does it feel not having a loading screen stating which area you are going in to? I’m not sure how I feel about music just fading in to a different one when you go to a different area yet. I think I just need to experience it first. Is it possible that in the full game we have loading screens for more overall areas?

I think I just like the idea of seeing the area on screen, the date and time, and all that, I feel it adds to the experience.

I haven’t played the demo yet just simply to wanting to get access to decent hardware to play it. But I just wanted to ask, even though in this day and age it could be considered as jarring for a modern game, but how does it feel not having a loading screen stating which area you are going in to? I’m not sure how I feel about music just fading in to a different one when you go to a different area yet. I think I just need to experience it first. Is it possible that in the full game we have loading screens for more overall areas?

I think I just like the idea of seeing the area on screen, the date and time, and all that, I feel it adds to the experience.
There are basically 2 "areas" in the demo: the main village and the outskirts. The game even performs a little loading stutter when going between them, so it's easy to see where a loading screen would've been in previous games.

The thing is, just being able to see the village from afar and then walk there, without being interrupted, is way more immersive than a black screen telling you where you are, I find.

I can see them throwing in the black screens when there's a forced cut to a new location, like if you get sent back to Shenhua's house or something, or maybe at the start of each day, but we don't know yet.

As for the music, it would've been very difficult for them to seamlessly transition from one track to the next, so you do get a noticeable fade in/out, but I don't find it jarring or anything. It lets you know you're in a different area, and feels completely natural when you enter a store or something. Also, they sometimes fade the music out and don't start the new track until you hit a certain point (like in the gambling area, the music doesn't start till you're past the token guy), so you have some nice downtime listening to the ambient sounds etc. The fact the music fits each area so well is the main thing.

So today, FINNALY! I beat Gold Tiger.
I have to say that in order to do so, I had to rise my Kung Fu level to 14! haha

The way I did that was like:
Started right away collecting herbs.
As soon as I had the most valuable sets, I went to Tao Get Store and sold them.
Proceded right away to buy the two technique scrolls the old man sells there, as well as some food. Plenty of garlic to have more tries!
Then, went as fast as I could to the one inch punch wooden dummy, and maxed it out to level 7, and then made horse stance till level 2. All this gave me almost 3 full staminna bals!
Then, as fast as I could, I went in to sparring and maxed out all the 5 upgradable moves!
Then started fighting.
As soon as I beat Gold Tiger (maybe in my 5th or 6tth try) The day was over hahaha!!
I made it in my last try indeed!
Amazing stuff! can't wait to max up Ryo's abilities of the charts in the full game!

I'll be elbow assaulting thugs all the way up to the moon! :ROFLMAO:

So today, FINNALY! I beat Gold Tiger.
I have to say that in order to do so, I had to rise my Kung Fu level to 14! haha

The way I did that was like:
Started right away collecting herbs.
As soon as I had the most valuable sets, I went to Tao Get Store and sold them.
Proceded right away to buy the two technique scrolls the old man sells there, as well as some food. Plenty of garlic to have more tries!
Then, went as fast as I could to the one inch punch wooden dummy, and maxed it out to level 7, and then made horse stance till level 2. All this gave me almost 3 full staminna bals!
Then, as fast as I could, I went in to sparring and maxed out all the 5 upgradable moves!
Then started fighting.
As soon as I beat Gold Tiger (maybe in my 5th or 6tth try) The day was over hahaha!!
I made it in my last try indeed!
Amazing stuff! can't wait to max up Ryo's abilities of the charts in the full game!

I'll be elbow assaulting thugs all the way up to the moon! :ROFLMAO:
I followed your model mostly and managed to bin him off first go.

Got Kung-fu to Level 13 with all moves upgraded and One-Inch Punch maxed. Little tactic of mine was once he was on the floor get in close and hit Katana Mist Slash (or whatever it's called) to wear him down a bit more then get out quickly.

I followed your model mostly and managed to bin him off first go.

Got Kung-fu to Level 13 with all moves upgraded and One-Inch Punch maxed. Little tactic of mine was once he was on the floor get in close and hit Katana Mist Slash (or whatever it's called) to wear him down a bit more then get out quickly.
Woow Spuds nice!! ;)

Just made another round and beated him at 4th try or something! Getting a bit better haha! ?
Funny how, if you look at the wall after you beated him, there will be a plaque with Ryo's name and Ryo will say that the most important wor is still yet to come! On the other board on the same wall, there is still the MASTER category!!

5 duan rank.png

Wonder who you will have to face in the final game to be the master of the dojo!! And what will be the reward!

I imagine there will be a good number of dojos in Shenmue3! It will be super fun to try to be the master at them all! :)

Woow Spuds nice!! ;)

Just made another round and beated him at 4th try or something! Getting a bit better haha! ?
Funny how, if you look at the wall after you beated him, there will be a plaque with Ryo's name and Ryo will say that the most important wor is still yet to come! On the other board on the same wall, there is still the MASTER category!!

View attachment 4677

Wonder who you will have to face in the final game to be the master of the dojo!! And what will be the reward!

I imagine there will be a good number of dojos in Shenmue3! It will be super fun to try to be the master at them all! :)
I got him after I trained all too. You think those skills go up to 50 in the final?
Untitled.png

I don't know if this has been commented but I've noticed something, in bailu village when the clock is approaching to 18.00 more or less and the sun goes down the shadows the trees cast advances too fast and you can see how the shadows moves.

I suppose they will correct this because it's unnatural. I can see the torches start burning at the same time automatically

...how does it feel not having a loading screen stating which area you are going in to? I’m not sure how I feel about music just fading in to a different one when you go to a different area yet. I think I just need to experience it first. Is it possible that in the full game we have loading screens for more overall areas?

Yu was asked about this and he said that loading screens aren't needed but that they added a few to evoke a certain feeling.

About musical transitions, it doesn't feel odd except for maybe one location in the demo. You're walking along a path and suddenly the music changes since you crossed some invisible line and went into "another area". It fades out in an unmusical way. Too abrupt. A longer fadeout that fits the track and then some more silence could be better before the next track slowly fades in. I wouldn't be surprised though if they polish some of these little things before the release.
Otherwise, short loading screens make more abrupt transitions easier of course since they clearly indicate a new area.
But this was the only time where it felt strange. When entering stores etc. it feels natural since you're entering another place.

Yu was asked about this and he said that loading screens aren't needed but that they added a few to evoke a certain feeling.

About musical transitions, it doesn't feel odd except for maybe one location in the demo. You're walking along a path and suddenly the music changes since you crossed some invisible line and went into "another area". It fades out in an unmusical way. Too abrupt. A longer fadeout that fits the track and then some more silence could be better before the next track slowly fades in. I wouldn't be surprised though if they polish some of these little things before the release.
Otherwise, short loading screens make more abrupt transitions easier of course since they clearly indicate a new area.
But this was the only time where it felt strange. When entering stores etc. it feels natural since you're entering another place.
Exactly, sort of Skyrim like. You can walk huge spaces fine, but some buildings you load into to enter. It feels natural.

I don't mind a few loading screens if they have the same duration as in the remastered version. Here I was specifically talking about how music changes though when you enter a new location. Even without loading screens the musical transition felt ok when you enter the store.

Back