Shenmue III Backer Trial | General Thread

If you have a huge team with people dedicated to improve every asset that is going to be shown to the public is not bad, but with a small budget it is not the best approach. There is also a problem of PR deciding what to show, 2017 trailer could have had much better reception if character faces were not shown. Take the RDR2 1st teaser, it was all environment and every human close up was people with their face covered. The good thing with the dissaster PR that Shenmue 3 has sufffered until recently is that for the first time in years the final game will be an upgrade from the trailers and not a downgrade
Judging by the visuals seen in the recent Game Informer thread images, I really believe this trial was an earlier version.

It was already amazing visually, but the character models in the Game Informer spread show significantly more detail if you ask me. The texture work in Ryos jacket seems more detailed and his face much more attuned to the original idea we had in-game on DC and artwork.

They are really putting the polish on the graphics last, just as Yu said it would be the last thing he worried about.
I think so too, I've noticed 2 times facial animation was used, it's clearly there, it will be in the final. That demo is likely to appease "no game play footage" for E3, and "we were promised a trial version" which I still love. I think the final should be much better yet.

Adding throws in would be too much to ask as DLC right?

I feel the groundwork for the fighting system is VERY solid. Fight animations are great for the most part. Impact could use work, but there’s enough to feel something. I think a large part has to do with the camera for this new system. Say what you will about the wonky camera from the previous games, but I dug how it floated around. I think for me that’s the biggest thing that makes this system feel different. I do love how the combos animate though ❤

Gonna start this bitch up again right now and with that soothing Shenmue atmosphere...just RELAX.
He'd need to re-haul the existing system. I keep seeing throws in it as counters after blocks. That means those kicks need different commands. He could only do it in a new game. My hopes are high for Shenmue 4.

Well, I didn't say that did I? I cited a specific timeframe where Ys Net were under pressure to show more than they felt comfortable with, and eventually caved on.
I didn't claim you did, I was addressing that point and you quoted me. I just don't think that specific timeframe is more relevant than the others like you do. It was their choices that led to that particular moment and it was their choice to show that particular trailer and not a video that focused on something else. The pressure from the community in any case did not have the power to force them, just like Yu decided to ignore everyone and go with his logo.

Well, I didn't say that did I? I cited a specific timeframe where Ys Net were under pressure to show more than they felt comfortable with, and eventually caved on.

It came at a time where we'd had a few months running of updates light on information pertaining to the actual game, and later skipped months entirely. No events were happening either. There was reliable information PSX 2016 would see a showing that didn't pan out, Yu Suzuki didn't attend MAGIC 2017, and nothing was set to happen at E3 2017 either. The vibe on the Kickstarter page and in certain quarters on the Dojo forums and wider community was that Ys Net weren't showing enough, especially before the delay to 2018. It was getting nasty, honestly, and they read and pay attention to what goes on in the community more than you might think they do.

The *exact* source eludes me because it's been so long, but either Yu or Harry Morishita (SIII producer) said during a Gamescom 2017 interview they were conscious it had been a while since they'd last shown anything, and spent most of the event explaining the temporary visuals to every other games journalist. Cedric wouldn't even put Shibuya Productions' logo on the Gamescom progress video. None of this happens unless you do something under duress, and the pressure wasn't coming from Deep Silver either considering how heavily under wraps the game was throughout 2018, with very few exceptions.

The pressure came from the community. Ys Net conceded, and it blew up in their face. It's as simple as that.

Using examples from after Deep Silver took over the marketing reigns in late 2017 is not really relevant to what I was talking about.

Here's one of the sources discussing the fallout of 2017 and Cedric implying Yu's hands were forced.

And I do remember reading a few other interview where Yu admits it was amuetrish to show pre-alpha footage but decided to do so to quell various community's concern since pressures was starting to build up from the long silent period of actual content feed.

Last edited:
How do you choose which move to train in sparring? And can it be changed during a session?

I'm pretty sure I went from training Elbow Assault to Counter Elow Assault during a spar...is that because I stumbled across the new combo, or is it because I mastered Elbow Assault?

How do you choose which move to train in sparring? And can it be changed during a session?

I'm pretty sure I went from training Elbow Assault to Counter Elow Assault during a spar...is that because I stumbled across the new combo, or is it because I mastered Elbow Assault?
You can switch using l & r bumpers

Very interesting!! Really didn't expect them to push an update for the demo at all!! I wonder if there is a change log/patch notes anywhere. Would be awesome to see!

If not, it's actually going to be pretty fun to jump into the demo and try and work out what they have "fixed"/changed. As far as I am aware, I didn't recall any bugs or anything that needed fixing. The only thing I can really think of is the time of day dramatically changed too much at ~6:15 sometimes but yet again, I don't know if I could call that a bug lol

Last edited:
How can i switch from 1920x1080 to 1280x720 on the Demo?

Okay checked a couple things. The major thing I've noticed is that they've now fixed it so you can enable MT instead of AT. It didn't work before and you would always be on AT even if you save a MT loadout. Now you can customise which scrolls you want in shortcuts for R trigger. For those who don't know:

AT = Auto Assign
MT = Manual Assign

x5rFmYI.png

So basically AT will auto assign obtained move scrolls that the game recommends. So when it comes to fighting or sparring you can cycle through the auto assigned 5 moves and train them / level them up. Here's an example of the game auto assigning 3 move scrolls that need levelling:

7zEe3f3.png

As you can see on the left hand side it has auto assigned the only 3 scrolls I have that need levelling. I can't manually choose what moves I want here in AT.

In the demo you can mess around with MT stuff by going to Skill Book Editor:

dctxJTo.png

The best way to think of MT is like loadouts. You can pick and choose which moves you want to be available on your shortcuts during combat (R trigger to execute).

oav54AM.png

As you can see above I've only put 2 scrolls on this. Obviously as there's only 5 scrolls in the demo it's a little pointless but imagine when you have 15, 25, or even 40 move scrolls. using MT to manually assign your favourite moves will be very helpful. You could have M1 set to favourite moves, M2 set for moves that need training, M3 for Counter only moves if that's how you like to fight etc.

I tested selecting no scrolls and it didn't work, so you always have to have a MT loadout with atleast 1 move scroll otherwise it will default to AT if you try to save your empty MT loadout.

NpQFQkk.png

MT didn't work before and it would always default to AT. Now you can have MT selected. I tested it with just Elbow Assault and I couldn't cycle through other moves as it was the only one I had in my M1 loadout.

nOdtFaY.png

• They also might have fixed an audio bug with the dice guy who would sometimes talk over himself with 2 different lines but I've only tested this twice. It didn't happen either of these times but may be a fluke.

I had a bug where the menu wouldn't go away. I'm gonna go ahead and try the game now to see if that bug is fixed

EDIT: Wow, they actually FIXED that bug! Great job YsNet! Makes you wonder if they saw my let's play as I haven't seen anyone else mention this, haha

EDIT 2: Turns out DS4Windows was causing this bug. Thanks to @DoubleO_Ren for pointing this out. When DS4Windows is on, the glitch occurs.

Last edited:
I had a bug where the menu wouldn't go away. I'm gonna go ahead and try the game now to see if that bug is fixed

EDIT: Wow, they actually FIXED that bug! Great job YsNet! Makes you wonder if they saw my let's play as I haven't seen anyone else mention this, haha
I kept getting that bug but after i turned off DS4Windows it went away.

One thing I've noticed is Ryo never gets knocked on his ass when fighting, even after he's lost, really don't like that.

Back