IGN gives Death Stranding a 6.8 review score

The difference between Shenmue and Death Stranding is that DS has been expecting to get near flawless reviews and has ended up on 83. I've read a lot of the reviews today, and many seem extremely generous. In fact, I bet a lot of these reviewers who have still given it great marks, despite one 10/10 review stating " Death Stranding as a game doesn't do much" would criticise Shenmue for the same pacing issues and mark it down.

Game critics are a herd of gazelle, you cant bloody trust any of them. Too much ad revenue and corporate perks to wash away if you dare judge something fairly.

7s or 8s are still good review scores! Above average! Journoes have to stop throwing around 9.5 and 10's around if the game clearly has issues.

It looks just boring, and I cannot see what other people see in the game that makes them super hyped.

What? Are you blind? How can you not see it? It's pretty clear. Oh boy, come on. Let me see, I'll google it for you and I'll mark it so you can't miss it.

de.png

That's what they see.

Furthermore there's a big difference between a new schooler jumping on a bandwagon/speaking off the cuff, vs someone older then time, who is well versed in game design, and does a very indepth analysis of such.

It makes sense. There's really no comparison when you put the average Joe versus God as the game critic. Wait, are you implying...

John’s Digital Foundry analysis and comments ensure I will pick this up once I’m done with Shenmue 3. His comments about how the cinematic flair and strangeness reminded him of the quantum leap MGS 2 made, only make me more excited.

I just have such mixed feelings about the game. The weird scifi setting and monsters are super cool, I love Kojima's previous stuff and in general am a massive sucker for narrative "twists", love weird games, and think the core gameplay could be really fun and strategic if implemented right. I really like the idea of looking at a big cavern or mountain and thinking "how the fuck am I going to get over/through/around that?". On the other hand, I hate all the celebrities and scanned in actors, not feeling the "americans just need to all hug and reconnect :)))" message, and the footage I've seen + comments I've read about the core gameplay haven't filled me with great confidence that it was implemented in clever or strategic ways. I also hate that ugly baby and don't like the idea of having to rock him

My original plan after selling my PS4 was to watch it on Youtube, but now that it's confirmed for PC, I may pick it up after all. Just not at full price, I'm still just too uncertain about the core game.

Exactly, thanks for proving my point. That is your subjective opinion. You're literally agreeing with everything I said. My only issue is with the narrow minded people who are objectively calling Death Stranding a shit and boring game (without playing it) because of some unfounded hate... or something. If you are not saying Death Stranding is an objectively awful game (you're not) then my post isn't directed at you.

You're a hypocrite if you're going to call DS objectively boring, shit and tedious (which members have done in this thread) and then defend Shenmue when others call Shenmue those things. What is boring for some isn't boring for everyone. There's no such thing as objectively boring. There are members in this thread that can't comprehend why people would like DS and that blows my mind on a Shenmue forum. I understand not liking a game that doesn't appeal to you. I don't understand vitriol and toxicity directed at other developers and games for reasons many people have criticised Shenmue for.

I'm perfectly relaxed thanks. It just makes me raise an eyebrow when members are allowed to troll threads spouting the same toxicity people direct at Shenmue and somehow get away with it because it happens to be a different game.

The vitriol and hate directed at this game and Kojima by one particular member in this thread is incredibly hypocritical and I'm going to call it out when I see it because it's no better than what you'd expect on the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter comments. Literally go back to the first page and see the shit Zoltor was saying. I just expected better from the members here especially under the circumstances.

It's good to see someone finally calling this idiot out. The amount of drivel he spouts on pretty much every thread at every minute is disgusting and quite frankly I'm sick to death of reading it. Where did he come from again? Out of the woodwork?

While I tend to like Kojima's games, this one is a pass for me.
Most of the reviewers basically state that the gameplay is repetitive/boring (while most positive reviewers appeal to the experimental nature of the "walking system").
But what really deters me to play is the "it starts to get good 20/30 hours in", I just can't do that shit anymore, specially when I know what "get good" means for me (you get a more continuous stream of plotpoints between fetch quests). I might like the game, as I said, I like Kojima's cheesyness, I like just roaming around in a beautiful world (though honestly a mountain setting doesn't do it for me, but as a developer I love the tech aspect of it), I like narrative heavy games, but I won't take 20 hours of fetchquests to get a reward I could simply see on youtube. And that is not even counting that I tend to hate game systems that play against the player (funny since the last game I bought was pathological 2).
Maybe that's part of why I mostly play walking sims these days, they respect my time, they want to tell a story, have something beautiful to look at and explore at my pace and there's no fluff to pad the experience (in most cases).

The more I hear of the game the more I get interested, I sounds like the traversal of the game is absurdly detailed and that theres tons of versatility and decision making just getting to places, I've always felt like games had an issue of scale never feeling quite to proportion, like shadow of the colossus is maybe the only one. This game however seems like seeing something off in the distance really sells the feeling of it being far away and wondering how the hell you get there.

I'm not even sure what you're getting at. Are you trying to say you're a sixty year old designer and/or journalist or summat? If so, where are you from? What are your credentials? Please point me to these in depth analyses, rather than sweeping statements of zero substance. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy finding inventive ways of calling things shit too, but I play them for laughs rather than just churning out pretentious posts and condescending comments.
He is delusional and a pathological lier, I asked for his resumé in another thread and he does not have any proffesional reference for any videogame area at all.

Was very much on the fence about this game but leaning towards not being a purchase for me. I've watched both the IGN, Yong Yea and Gamespot reviews (the latter which is filled with pretentious nonsense) and nothing besides the Hideo name truly interest me. I also have such little time to play games and pretty much every review states in takes 10 - 20 hours to START getting good.

Just think...it's maybe possible that Shenmue III will get a higher score from IGN over DS. Even if it's just a 7....it's still higher than DS. Think about that for a minute.

I listened to the Beastcast earlier. To hear Dan Ryckert flat out say "it's shit" is just another red flag for me. If that dude can't even enjoy it, then I don't think there is much hope for me. Also, they confirmed something that I feared the most about the story.

That it doesn't add up to much of anything at all come the end.

Yeah, I don't know if I want to spend $70 AUD on this. I really don't think I'm gonna bother. GOTY discussions are gonna be very divisive this year.

Good for those who like it...but there are just too many red flags in place for me to buy into it.

Spawnwave did a video on Death Stranding. I found this interesting and can agree with the view points from the outside looking in.

I agree with you.
Boring games for ones might be awesome games for others.
That was allways one of the criticisms many acused shenmue from, which I allways thought was unfair.
Same is happenning with this game.
It's a differently paced game.
Doesn't mean that i is "bad".

What I meant in the above post is that, many who criticised Shenmue in the past for its pacing, will eat this game just cause it's a kojima game and cause of its hype.

I still think the game is interesting.

Shenmue can be boring at times. I still love it but sometimes it can drag.

I'm looking forward to playing Death Stranding. Sadly that won't be till the end of Dexember or January because I'll be preoccupied with Shenmue 3. When you really look at it Death Stranding has already been a success.

There are some low reviews and there are some very high to perfect reviews. It's been labeled are the most divisive game of this generation. Kojima has already made people start viewing and approaching video games differently. IMO

Kojima is a real creative. Like Yu Suzuki.
Creatives have visions and take risks to realize them. And sometimes those risks are big.
We can also say Shenmue is divisive, and that doesn't stop thousands of people from absolutely adoring the game.
Same with DS.
Wish nothing but the best to Kojima. Sure someone has to be corageous to try something new and different, even risking being misunderstood or being seen in a bad light by many.

Like the very own Suzuki said. If people don't take risks and try something new, there is no evolution.

Kojima is a real creative. Like Yu Suzuki.
Creatives have visions and take risks to realize them. And sometimes those risks are big.
We can also say Shenmue is divisive, and that doesn't stop thousands of people from absolutely adoring the game.
Same with DS.
Wish nothing but the best to Kojima. Sure someone has to be corageous to try something new and different, even risking being misunderstood or being seen in a bad light by many.

Like the very own Suzuki said. If people don't take risks and try something new, there is no evolution.

100% agree. The divisiveness has only peak my interest even more.

What blows my mind about this forum, well that's not fair, some members on this forum - is that here they are using a low review as confirmation bias whilst ignoring all other reviews, calling the game shit, boring and tedious - all things that people have called Shenmue over the years. Not only that, we now have members willing Kojima to change his vision to please mass audiences (drop the boring stuff)... ON A SHENMUE FORUM. Would you say the same to Yu Suzuki about Shenmue? They applaud Yu Suzuki for not changing his vision and making Shenmue exactly how he wants yet don't do the same with Death Stranding.

The only reason i clicked on the thread was because seeing a kojima game reviewed badly is rather shocking. I dont think anyone is necessarily bashing the game because of one review (i can only speak for myself) after seeing MGS5 get scored 10's and being called "game of a generation" by some reviewers i was fully expecting the same for DS. I really don't like the look of it, stealth games arent my thing and i never bought MGS5 either, I do like to read reviews and see whats happening in the game industry and although i wont buy a game based on reviews they can be helpful especially if youre sceptical of certain aspects, in this instance i dont like stealth games and i dont particularly enjoy fetch quests this review highlights those issues so its a no go from me. however i have seen other reviews praising DS and im sure it has wonderful moments and the stealth is fantastic if thats what floats your boat. i find it interesting that it has been met with mixed reviews and in some ways i think that spells out what could be the future for shenmue, hopefully its the breath of fresh air that gamers have been waiting for and positive reviews will spread the word

Back